Jambands.ca

Forum migration to a new platform

bouche

I'm need to move the boards to a new system, one that's still alive and supported. FusionBB is officially DEAD!

Fusion is nearly impossible to keep account creation open without having to approve, and frankly it just sucks now. The spam accounts are unstoppable, and there are figurative TONS. They get around every security check this system has.

There isn't much holding me back from doing this, other than justifying the cost of licensing the software. I can keep paying for my current hosting and pay a flat fee with yearly fees to keep the spam filter services and support.

It's Invision Power Boards. It's been around for a while and they are the only system that supports importing everything from FusionBB. From what I can tell, it's got all of the same features and more.

As in past migrations, it'll take a few days to setup and nothing will look the same. In that time, the boards should be shut down.

Does anyone frequent IPB on another site? Are there any problems with it?

Does anyone frequent IPB on another site? Are there any problems with it?

I frequent gathering of the vibes forums which are IPB - can't really say I've seen many issues that are directly related to software, at least from a standard member's perspective. I seem to recall some hiccups when they first migrated from the old board (think it was same as this one) to IPB but I believe it was more user (admin) errors or tweaks.

Its just as easy to navigate as these forums and I believe folks here won't have much issue getting the hang of it.

Guest Low Roller

Good luck with the migration Bouche! When is it happening? Is this an opportunity to rebrand the forum as well since it is no longer jamband-centric, or is there brand recognition value in Jambands.ca?

Good luck with the migration Bouche! When is it happening? Is this an opportunity to rebrand the forum as well since it is no longer jamband-centric, or is there brand recognition value in Jambands.ca?

I think you're confusing this with a professional operation. I'll pick up the tools I need in the next couple of weeks and run some import tests. When I've got the process down, I'll wipe the initial import, shut this forum down and do a full import. When it's stabilized and all of the account permissions are in place (have to recreate those), then I can turn it back on.

I've got a domain BOUCHE.US so I can brand it that way and then follow up with a line of unscented energy cologne ;)

Edited by Guest

The new forum is setup and I'm ready to start converting. It's remarkably more user friendly already from just going through all of the setup interfaces. It's pretty slick. The conversion shows over 700,000 posts in 68,000 topics. It's going to take a while to run.

I feel like a re-brand would refresh things, and possibly invigorate more content and participation. It would definitely encourage interest from new people who are adverse to the word 'jamband'. In some ways, I know I've become a little embarrassed to use the word- because its essentially unrecognized as a genre/aesthetic these days, and is moreso used in a derogatory manner. I think the literal translation to the masses is probably something like 'drug music'. (Theres the new brand!!) but srsly- I think our shared interests here exceed 'jambands,' and attracting new blood and a wider circle of contributors maybe only a new, carefully chosen url away.

Anyway- my 0.02

that's a valuable 2 cents.

it's still worth exploring, and I've thought about it. It's not easy to land on something new like that and run with it. There would be impacts related to existing contacts (promoters, agents and bands) that might miss the connection to the previously named community.

also the flipped basscleff J: logo is really cool!

I really need to just get the engine replaced as is for now. It's time consuming enough to go through the whole migration, setup, permissions, forum organization process on it's own.

The setup and import of the database will probably take a day or two from what my test run has shown. There's lots of configuration involved, some I went through, but other tasks need to wait for the final import.

When I pull the trigger and close the forums, please don't be shocked! It'll be back up in a couple of days tops and will look completely different.

Mike, thanks for all of your work over the years ... I truly appreciate the time and energy you've put into this site, and I look forward to the next iteration of this website and discussion board, wherever they take us.

I'm not sure what to suggest as far as a re-brand or what it would take to re-invigorate this board. Personally, I spend less time online than I used to, and I spend most of my online social time on Facebook. And that time is shrinking. I don't think that a re-brand would increase traffic and discussion, unless it was accompanied by a huge push by people who currently use this board. Is there a better word to capture what this community is about? I can't think of one, but I'm open to suggestions.

Long live jambands.ca and the people that I've met through this site and music!

Peace, Mark