Jambands.ca

SURVIVOR 3!!!

Guest Low Roller

I cannot see why folks are rushing to defend Mick & Keith ... look, I'm a pretty big Stones fan myself, but if we look at the recorded legacy of what the final entrants have done together, what do we see?

Page/Plant : perhaps this is my LZ bias showing, but if you look at their collective efforts, you see 14 albums (12 LZ including archival releases, 2 Page & Plant) , and they've all been at least good. Maybe not a huge amount of quantity, but extremely consistent for quality ... with solo work, some of Plant's stuff has been interesting, Page not as much so, but whenever they have worked together the spark has been there

Daltrey/Townshend : Almost all of the Who's albums were at least good (Who By Numbers, IMHO, is a bit weak, but at least has Squeeze Box, Slip Kid and Dreaming From The Waist), the last couple of albums were a bit weak but even they had You Better You Bet and Eminence Front on them. Since the first break up of the who, the releases have been very few and usually live and/or archival but usually good. For solo work, Townshend has been consistently interesting, Daltrey has been more hit and miss but there has been some good stuff there.

Jagger & Richards : a string of brilliant albums in the 60s and early 70s ... which came to a screeching halt after Goats Head Soup. Sorry to piss off the Stones hardcores, but I used to have almost all of their albums (until my addict ex-roommate stole $12 000 worth of my CDs and electronic equipment and pawned it for crack money) and, Some Girls and Flashpoint aside, I'll be damned if I can name anything since Goats Head that has been above ok, and most of it has been depressing. Dirty Work, anyone? Black & Blue? Undercover? There have been a few good singles that have crept through the fog (Start Me Up, Miss You) but the albums have been overwhelmingly mediocre. As for solo work, sorry, all of Mick Jagger's solo work has been rubbish. As for Keith ... 2 solo records, and both were, to my recollection, pretty damned good ... he's worked Tom Waits and Aretha Franklin, he is one of the coolest guys (barely) alive, hey, I'll concede an argument can be made that Keith Richards *is* rock and roll ... but we aren't voting on Keith Richards, we are voting on Jagger Richards. I love the Stones, I think that Exile On Main Street is the Bible of Rock And Roll, but I'd be hard pressed to come up with many reasons why I love them from the last 20, 25, even 30 years. Perhaps the total amount of good to great work in all 3 of the last entrants has been rougly the same ... but the Stones have diluted it with too much junk.

All , of course, IMHO.

RnB

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Low Roller

eliminated_rolling.jpg

Well Day 4 was certainly lackluster for voting... Regardless, since Survivor stops for no lurker, the Stones are gone with 52% of the votes.

So now it comes to this. Day 5. The final day of Survivor 3. One of these tandems will walk away from this contest a loser, the other will sleep easy at night knowing that they have persevered through this grueling competition and have exited as champions. The winner also receives a cheque for one million dollars (cheque will not be honoured)

• Roger Daltrey/Peter Townshend (The Who)
  • Robert Plant/Jimmy Page (Led Zeppelin)

Even though I'm not a big Roger fan, and he only co-wrote one hit for The Who ( Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere ), I'm still voting off Page/Plant... and I'm a HUGE Zeppelin fan.

I've always been a bigger fan of Jeff Beck than Page anyway, plus Page's musical contributions since 1980 have been more than sub-par, embodied in his erroded 80's guitar abilities. Page is on record as saying that he quit practising in the 80's right up until the early 90's. The damage is done.

Alright, who wants a Huxie argument?

I am voting off those Zep fucks. You know why? (Aside from ripping off the blues more than ANYONE in your generation)

Bob Weir, in an interview, says he was majorily influenced by Pete Townsend.

(Jerry's retort was "Where?....hehehehehe")

Roger and Pete the same can stay, you better you bet.

They both have their merits but owing to my own childhood blasting Led Zeppelin at camp, school, graduation afterparties, and most importantly the first time I ever smoked drugs....It's going to be the Who outta here.

And Quadrophenia is lame as hell.

I feel a bustle in my hedgerow.

There are over-the-counter creams that can help with that...

I vote off Page & Plant; I think Townsend & Daltrey is a more powerhouse combination, because Townsend is a formidable artist (guitarist, lyricist, singer; go watch whichever Secret Policemen's Ball movie he's in where he does "Pinball Wizard" and "Won't Get Fooled Again" solo on acoustic guitar) on his own, even without Daltrey.

Aloha,

Brad