Jambands.ca

The Slip last night?

dave-O

::a few days later and finnally seem to be re-adjusting to the real world.....WOW and double wow. Two fantastic nights of the Bus and a heart stopping night of The Slip....incredible.Please come back soon. Super Fine seeing all you freaks...every single one of you and big thanks yes...to Saku? was that the desk mans name.....gebus he was a good natured gent. It was a bit sore the next morning thinking about how great it would be to be heading to the Shaker..but spilt milk eh... ;) Hands down an incredible show Dave-O....wish you had been there. :)

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The venue was really top drawer it would work quite well for another show particularly during the school year. The turnout was more than a little sparse but I guess you know that. I guess because they are a 'theatre' rather than a club they have their own hierarchy and hassles but I would think it worthwhile.

bouche: The Cabaret is 2111 St. Laurent, while Le Swimming is 3643 St. Laurent. While it seems like a long way away, it's really just several blocks North; in fact, it's an easy walk from The Cabaret to Le Swminning and then just a few more blocks North to Schwarz's...mmmm...smoked meat....

I liked the venue. From a taper's point of view, it's got a great place (at the apex of the U-shaped balcony) to set up, or you can set up on the floor and still leave lots of room for people to move around you. (If you did that at Le Swimming, you'd get bumped all over the place, I think.)

Aloha,

Brad

the Cabaret Music Hall was top notch!

I was able to pick up my will call tix at 6pm off of a super chill door man.

We were able to come and go from the venue as much as we/I wanted ::

the bar ladies were great and funny

there wasn't a bad seat/spot in the house

i smoked my ganja all night without any problems

it has a REAL stage so The Slip were able to get their ROCK & ROLL on...(can't replicate that at le swimming)

no staff kicked me out after the show...they were very cool at letting people hang out and buy a t-shirt or gather their brain matter back together ::

it's a hundred times better than le swimming

i'll definately come back to the Cabaret!

its started out pretty full then emptied out quite a bit... that place gets HOT downstairs when its full of bodies... beautiful venue though and the balconies stayed cool (oddly)... $23 (with service charges) seemed about the right price considering the travel required... tough to say what I'd pay, hope they made some money, they deserved it... suck to pay $30 or more and catch an off show... any classy Toronto venues available?

I actually ordered mine online which is where I think the service charge came in... I believe it was $18 if you purchased from the venue

well then, hope you made enough for a six pack or somethin ::

shoulda sold the van and made the show man, best I've seen yet by far

have them play at harbourfront centre in Toronto.

Its just as beautiful of a venue, right on the waterfront (as the name implies)

I saw kevin breit with Toronto Tabla Beat Orchestra there, and it was amazing....

Only hold, and i'm guessing, four hundred?

It was uber-beautiful, and amazing sounding, as most of the performance was 100% acoustic.

Steve

I don't think I can put a price on seeing the slip play nearly three hours of music with no setbreaks in a beautiful venue in a beautiful city. But if I did I might cap out at $20. The turnout was pretty disappointing considering Le Swimming was absolutely packed last November. If playing at Le Swimming meant the tickets' were $10 I would hesitantly say stick to that venue. Then again it almost burned down last time so maybe that's not a wise choice.

And I hate the Cabaret's website with a fierce passion. never did figure out if you could purchase tickets directly from that site or not?

The biggest problem everyone's overlooking is that it was not during the school year and I don't know if it was that well advertised either. I think we tend to overly rely on word of mouth and our crew of internet folks. We really need to make much bigger efforts to connect with even just the heads who aren't on the net all the time let alone the other audiophiles.

I asked the two people who were working the ticket booth when they came out if they were enjoying the band late in the show and they immediately responded "No!" rolled their eyes and walked away which I was quite suprised by... made me wonder if they had written off the show before it even came about

::

I (think I) managed to feign sobriety long enough to ask the question, they were just kind of standing there scowling at the stage

(though I guess its conceivable they thought I was trying to pawn off one of my english happy pills upon them)

This brings to mind the great conundrum:

Why is Montreal so cool and the rest of Quebec not?

Or, a slight variant:

Why are girls in Montreal hot and in the rest of Quebec not?

or, if you like:

Why does Montreal house the coolest of cool AND the lamest of lame?

Why is Montreal so cool and the rest of Quebec not?

Don't know if I'm answering the right question here, but in my experiences in life, most of the cool, relaxed people in my earlier years were gay. And Montreal was swarming with plenty (please understand that I'm too drunk for my own good on a Wednesday night to put the right words together here)

Or, a slight variant:

Why are girls in Montreal hot and in the rest of Quebec not?

Myabe because they don't have to worry so much about guys being all over them so much. (Ah, crap...I'm too drunk and not getting my point across well...when I was talking to Booche about this, it all made sense, now it just sounds like kerfuffle....shmuh...meh....pffffttt)

or, if you like:

Why does Montreal house the coolest of cool AND the lamest of lame?

'cuz bananas aren't purple

I knew I shouldn't have come on the board. As I figure a conundrum has multiple meanings but could be reduced to two poles a riddle that remains unsolved and as you mentioned Velvet a riddle or otherwise unknown question that has a pun for an answer (but perhaps that's the rub the idea that a pun makes light of what could be a grave issue). The dictionary definition bears this out I think.

n.

A riddle in which a fanciful question is answered by a pun.

A paradoxical, insoluble, or difficult problem; a dilemma: “the conundrum, thus far unanswered, of achieving full employment without inflation” (Arthur M. Schlesinger, Jr.).

Now a pun is something else there's a number of types of puns I think either homophonic, homographic (you could add homophobic as in 'peter like to poke his peter' well you get the gist) and then various compound puns that exploit either plays on meaning or sound. They're obviously thought of as a low sort of humour but the use of puns is shared in high and low culture (which Frank Zappa refused to distinguish between) some of the better examples being the likes of Shakespeare, Nabokov and Joyce ('they were yung and easily freudened'). The thing about puns is that they conceal meaning, they are a form of dissembling, they obscure words and meanings and in that regard are an important part of even the occult, hermetic and sufi forms of teaching. A fitting pun for the occasion would be:

San Francisco became the center of the drug culture. Therefore, it is prophetic that it was originally known as Yerba Buena, which means "good grass/weed" in Spanish.

You want to really stew your noodle though wrap your head around the idea that metaphors are semantic puns.