dave-O

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a given 'dinghy!

From slipbase:

5-27-04: Cabaret Music Hall - Montreal QC

Set 1: intro jam->Get Me With Fuji, Fear of Falling, Wolof->The Shouters, (instrumental Neil Young cover)^, Poorboy, Predicting the Rain, River Sang to Buddha#, Soft Machine%, Ode to Joy->Happy Snails&, The Zeros

Encore: E1: Dogs on Bikes E2: If One of Us Should Fall*

Notes: ^the song name is escaping me, Brad introduced Neil as, "one of the best humans, who happened to be Canadian." #still actually untitled. %interesting new intro, slower and very beautiful. &with Mr. Meowskers on shakers. * dedicated to Elvin Jones.

The Neil Young tune was Out On The Weekend, but, I think there was a melange of other songs in there. Everyone has a different title for it (so it seemed), but I am going with that one.

That was easily the best music I have seen in 2004. It will be damn near impossible to top it. At about the half-way point, Brad asked if they should do one long set, or take a break. We all screamed for the one long set. It was pure beauty.

WOW! I had an amazing time last night! The ultimate champagne experience, to the sweat dripping from my face at The Cabaret, to the ice cube fight (walked away without any bruises from Toddles!), to the walk home with CatPhish and Raul Duke waking up the homeless guy and his dog.....

It was great seeing so many of us out last night. Kinda felt like a private party.

Paisley....I completely forgot until last night that I had met you before at CTMF last summer.

Can't wait to hear about all the things I'm forgetting right now ::

Kung -- thanks for the fanning. There was one moment there where I didn't have to wipe the sweat off my face!

Thank god tomorrow isn't Monday....

Who's up for a Lynx game on Sunday? 1:05 game....snoots and popcorn

So what a nice trip that was. I've got to say my thank you's first before i forget. Thank you Canned Beats and FairySari for the too cool ride up. That was the most pleasant longish car ride I've had in a buttfuck of a long time. Despite the traffic our arrival was timed perfectly and what a nice parking spot. Thanks to the slip for treating me to a nice show, and the crowd for making it right for us all. What a nice venue. Thanks to the Hotel man for being on our side (I guess) and not calling the po-lice on us. Thanks to karma for working such a fun night for me into it's plan. a big HUGE thanks go to weirdness and groovefetish for so many things. The drive back was awesome and you guys made me see Montreal without all of my prejudices. it's a wonderfully vibrant city and i loved every minute of marching around it's streets with you guys, sorry if I wasn't very chatty, there was just so much to take in. And your turkey bags were good too. Pete, you are car driver extrordinaire. You put the fear in me with your on ramp skills (which is good because you need to feel fear to appreciate what you've got) and the miraculous extraction of my car from the parking spot from hell at sari's house.

So at the show I was enjoying it all, the venue, the people, the music. I started at the back of the crowd and worked my way up to the stage. It wasn't 100% dance-able all of the time, but the whole experience grew on me the way killer bud will creep in on you after awhile. They played what felt like a slightly longer than normal set, but back in reality it was actually a long one. It's rare that I don't want a show to end to get to the afterparty, but I just didn't want them to quit. Even after the 2nd encore i was just screaming my head off for more. I even got mr. stand completely still in the 2nd row the whole night to let loose and give a woo hoo or two. The simplicity of their visual show adds to the music, and made me realize that all of my senses don't have to be receiving input to make the experience 100%. Didn't really get to talk to Andrew, but Brad and Mark are really nice and their friends were fun to party with.

the entire trip was the oppsite of what I was expecting from start to finish and I had a blast the whole way.

alright, i've been sittin here trying to figure out what to say... but i just keep shaking my head.

im still processing it all, i mean, it was a highly personal experience for me... witnessing that type of musicianship, that amount of soul... it was from the gut, man, and i fucking loved every second of it. there is definately not another band on the planet that i would prefer to see, any day of the year.

The Slip are it, man. fuck. they really are.

i got a chance to meet Brad, and i tried to keep myself from gushing, but im sure some of it seeped out. he was very cool, though... i imagine he gets that a lot.

on another note, aside from the music, seeing everyone out there was awesome. it was great to see so many people travel the distances they came to see this. always great to hang out and party with fellow sanctuarians, some of the best people i have ever met.

cheers to everyone who made it, and made it such a great time.

ps: an EXTRA SPECIAL thank you to bouche and ms. hux for all your hospitality, in montreal, and in hull. thank ya much.

guess all I can say is I went expecting so much, and got so much more than I expected

what a gamult of emotions and sheer musical brilliance, I feel like they didn't miss a note anywhere and added ones no one could have anticipated... an entirely all encompassing experience

always trust Kung (in person... at a Slip show), before the show he came over and confided that there were a bunch of kids from that state of Boston (Massewhatsits) and the band was ready to play all the shit... and played all the shit they did... wow

almost all my favorites and a few not heard by me befores and all of it WAY over the top... Boston Marathon... the night just kept growing and getting greater

the only room I've ever been in where its roasting hot downstairs and oddly cool upstairs (quote of the journey, Del trying to make his way across the balcony "fuc pais, think they could make it any darker so we could crash into a few more things") half the things containing people

super to run into so many wondrous Ottawa folk, not even going to try to name everyone but it was a true treat to put some new faces to names and great triumphs of joy to see the faces I already know... gonna have to make the trek to Ottawa one of these days as I seem to really like you all

gotta like Montreal, had to go throw up before the show (vegan who ate meat incident) so we found a nice little open air cafe near Le Swimming order a coffee and spent 25 minutes wandering to the "homme's room" for a hurl then back to the table to sip a fine aromatic coffee, back to the can etc. with one quick intermission to pop next door for fresh apricots then a few more back and forths... the women at the next table smiling coyly and flirtily all the while

La Slip!!

guess all I can say is I went expecting so much, and got so much more than I expected

that is pretty much my sentiments to a 'T'.

as a first-time slip-goer, i had heard so much build up of the band that i was worried, but just a little worried, that my hopes were too high to be met. nonetheless i had a good feeling that i was going to need a helmet for that show and i was right. i don't know what i can really say except man i don't remember the last time i saw a band have a crowd so completely by the balls (in the parlance of our times ::), there were moments when it seemed like the whole place was holding their breath in anticipation for the next note, absolute silence, it was amazing. amazing amazing amazing.

great to meet more skancs and reunite with friends. thanks to scotty for making the trip with me, and driving the whole way back! you rock. sharon and bouche, i was blown away. your generosity (and culinary prowess!) really left me speechless. so so great to spend time with the two of you.

all in all, wowee wowee woweeeeeeeeeee, thanks to everything and everyone for a special couple of days which won't soon be forgotten. ::

The whole thing is coming back to me in bits and pieces. Some of the more noteworthy interludes:

(I tend to give The Slip boys canadian history and politics lessons in the history rich Montreal, this time it was our hornery 5 party political system and how we're moving towards 'proportional representation')

At the afterparty on the first floor Marc turns to me and goes: 'yeah I get it you've been telling me about it for the last hour'. A class act as usual. It's not like the Slip come to my workplace all fucked up. Sheesh.

Turkey bags of ganja

Making the first of many trips to the Depanneur Saturday morning. Chilling with my crackhead peeps in the park while the kids were out to breakfast.

Getting kicked out of Super Sexe on Saturday afternoon after no sleep for shorting a ripper on an erotique mini bed (no more contact danse apparently). The floor manager comes up to me sitting stage side grabs my frisbee and hat and shows me to the door, I'm schwilling back my beer and he's trying to grab it from me: 'you need money to be here buddy, you didn't tip the bartended and only payed her $8.50'. Yeah but I payed buddy his $5 seating fee cut me some slack brah.

Jonas turning up out of the blue.

The Out On The Weekend! Class act of the boys to finally learn a Canadian tune. Not sure if I heard the 'I Shall Be Released' maybe it'll be clearer on the dates.

The Ode To Joy was entirely melifluous.

The Zeroes fuggedaboutit.

On paper it was a sort of staid show. Given that backstage their buddies (myself included) were pushing for Air Is The Body, Djangoes Mangos, (The Earth Will) Dissever (And Consume You After These Messages) and they had a handful of others written down like Clementine and Rhythm and Gold was at the top of the list!

last night was thursday and now it's sunday. Loving every second, I didnt' really know how to take the whole ordeal.

There was the fun times with Johnny, Giggles, Serena, Mary, Sari, Alexis, Del-head, Paisley, and the Young Sisters. There was the Bouchard brothers and their fabulous Belles, and there were the turkeybags of Ganja.

can we get an amen?

I said CAN WE GET AN AMEN!?!

EH-MEN!

On the way back i was sleepy so i got to fall asleep on a nice little dock on a nice little river under a nice big tree in a nice little town.

nice.

All I have to say is this: the 3 times i've seen the slip the shows are completely different experiences for me. Some of the most genuine music i've heard in my lifetime. I generally say 'those guys are smart' when i hear fantastic music but what the slip pull off requires much more than just intelligence and musical understanding.

those boys must be some of the most interesting people around. i think that if i could find out how they thought my head would explode.