Jambands.ca

Survivor- Phish Edition!!

Guest Low Roller

I personally love Farmhouse. I think Farmhouse is a good example of phish trying to write decent songs. RR i think was a failure, but Farmhouse wasn't.

Even though songs like "Twist" and "Piper" have been around since mid-1997, Phish spiced them up for the album.

Get Back On the Train, Heavy Things, and Sleep are nicely written tunes, and Dirt is absolutely beautiful.

Of course Sand and First Tube are the champions on the album. I know phish tried to emulate Farmhouse with RR, adding some slower songs, and some faster songs, but Friday and All of These Dreams dont compare in my mind, to Dirt or Heavy Things, and certainly Pebbles and Marbles (which should have stayed with Trey Band) doesn't compare to First Tube or Sand....

I think Round Room is a poor mans Farmhouse!

::

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In terms of material, Farmhouse isn't bad (if you get rid of Guyute, anyway). But it sounds terrible to listen to, just like Hoist sounds terrible, even though the material's not so bad. Someone has to keep Trey away from the producer's chair.

In terms of material, Farmhouse isn't bad (if you get rid of Guyute, anyway).

Guyute is on "Story Of The Ghost".

Oh, yeah.

Actually, that kind of helps to prove my next point - that, IMNSHO, pretty much all of Phish's studio albums, with the exception of the two that everyone hates (and, I'll concede, Junta) are pretty unlistenable to begin with. Unlistenable enough that I forgot which album "Guyute" was on.

In terms of material, Farmhouse isn't bad (if you get rid of Guyute, anyway). But it sounds terrible to listen to, just like Hoist sounds terrible, even though the material's not so bad. Someone has to keep Trey away from the producer's chair.

Fair enough, but are you really saying the production on Round Room is stellar? There's certainly not much deft editing going on there, and I could set up a couple of ADATs in my basement and get the same audio quality. I do think many of the songs on Round Room came into their own live, but the album still sounds like a bunch of rehearsal tapes to me.

And BTW it is true that Rush fans have a more highly evolved taste than you mere morals, so thanks for that clarification Hamilton. :: ;)

Peace,

Mr. M.

Production? Proschmucktion! (er....... :o)

The [color:"purple"]innovative production style of Anastasio/Goggin means Farmhouse sounded dated the day it came out. Round Room will still sound fresh in years to come.

Farmhouse is the failed album. Today it sounds cold, indifferent, a collection of songs (good songs mind you) cobbled together from Trey Band material and back to the 1997 motherlode - a clearing-house of sorts. Round Room is very much a success, that is, demonstrating Phish at a unique juncture in their career honestly and completely, as well as presenting new material that is unique to their catalogue. And yes, I realize Pebbles & Marbles debuted as a Trey Band song. Whatever.

If only I could find the talent to write a song half as beautiful as "Friday" or "All Of These Dreams" (especially AOTD!). I'd be very pleased with myself!

Fair enough, but are you really saying the production on Round Room is stellar? There's certainly not much deft editing going on there, and I could set up a couple of ADATs in my basement and get the same audio quality. I do think many of the songs on Round Room came into their own live, but the album still sounds like a bunch of rehearsal tapes to me.

And BTW it is true that Rush fans have a more highly evolved taste than you mere morals, so thanks for that clarification Hamilton. :: ;)

Peace,

Mr. M.

I think I prefer underproduced to overproduced. The Basement Tapes still sounds more fresh than a lot of albums that have a fortune spent on their production and recording. You're right - Round Room doesn't have stellar production - but it will sound better in ten years' time than Farmhouse will, I'll wager.

As long as Rush disowns the entire 2112 series, I'll forgive them. And you. ;):)

I understand where you're coming from, but it's one thing when underproduction adds energy 'cus something fresh and creative is being captured (The Basement Tapes are indeed a great example) but not when what you're capturing sounds like goofing around rather than going for it, which is how Round Room strikes me.

I'm not gonna argue that Farmhouse isn't overproduced thou, I'll give you that. I think I'd rate it ahead of Round Room only on the basis of the songs which I happen to like a bit more, but I don't think it's one of their strongest ones either.

And as far as "disowning the entire 2112 series", I'm not even quite sure what you mean. It's not a series, it just one song (it does have 7 distinct parts thou - is that what you mean?)

And screw disowning it anyway! 2112 fuggin' ROCKS, BABY! Now everybody shake your fist in the air and yell [color:"red"]WE ARE THE PRIESTS OF THE TEMPLES OF SYRINX!!! with me.

Do it now, don't make Bubbles mad.

p_blowing_bubbles_1.jpg

My girlfriend has been working with a young dude who's really into Rush and he's been bringing in live shows and demos and all their albums AND SHE'S STARTING TO LIKE THEM! :: ::

Which means I'll be on the market shortly ladies...... Ow! ;)

So is anybody going to, like, vote, or should I just put on my Rush t-shirt? ::

Come on,its Phisheads here,years of "pharmies" and nitrous oxide abuse has caused most of em to drift off topic,sorta a drug induced ADD I guess. ;)

So is anybody going to, like, vote, or should I just put on my Rush t-shirt? ::

Come on,its Phisheads here,years of "pharmies" and nitrous oxide abuse has caused most of em to drift off topic,sorta a drug induced ADD I guess. ;)

Wait, didn't you just spend like four days awake?!?!? ::