Jambands.ca

Q of the day 04.11.03

Esau

This may be a first for me asking one of these, so bare with me......this may have been asked before so sue me. [Wink]

I been wondering whats the meaning behind everyones nic-name here?

Mines almost self explanatory to deadheads,but there is more to it.

1> My Brother Esau ~GD (obvious)

2>Esau

Meaning: hairy

Rebekah's first-born twin son (Gen. 25:25)

The name of Edom, "red", was also given to him from his conduct in connection with the red lentil "pottage" for which he sold his birthright (30, 31). The circumstances connected with his birth foreshadowed the enmity which afterwards subsisted between the twin brothers and the nations they founded (25:22, 23, 26). In process of time Jacob, following his natural bent, became a shepherd; while Esau, a "son of the desert," devoted himself to the perilous and toilsome life of a huntsman. On a certain occasion, on returning from the chase, urged by the cravings of hunger, Esau sold his birthright to his brother, Jacob, who thereby obtained the covenant blessing (Gen. 27:28, 29, 36; Heb. 12:16, 17). He afterwards tried to regain what he had so recklessly parted with, but was defeated in his attempts through the stealth of his brother.

3> #13

-number of knots in a proper noose

-number of steps to the gallows

-height of the gallows platform from the ground

-members at the last supper

-12 jury memebrs & 1 judge

-superstion of bad luck

-If one fears the number thirteen, he is said to have Triskaidekaphobia which is rarely fatal and curable by going on to fourteen. Another cure may be the examination of the back of a dollar bill where thirteen is quite popular. There is a pyramid with thirteen steps; thirteen leaves and berries on the olive branch; and an eagle holding thirteen arrows, representing the thirteen colonies.

-The number thirteen is usually taken as an omen of misfortune, but can also be lucky. Egyptians believed that the thirteenth step of their symbolic life-ladder led to eternal life. They didn't look at death as the end of life, but instead as a transformation.

Now thats basically it for me, mainly I chose Esau because of the song,but the story of Esau & Jacob is interesting(I am not religous)to say the least.

And the number thirteen, well its my lucky number,always has been, but I like alot of the other meanings wrapped around it also.

Thats my story....whats yours??

[big Grin]

Guest Low Roller

Whoa. Ok mine is not nearly as thought out as yours. I needed a nickname, I didn't feel like using my usual ones, I'm not a high roller, therefore I became Low Roller. tah dah!

Seriously, how much time did you put into coming up with your nickname??

"My Brother Essau" - GREAT tune!

...shadow boxing the apocolypse...

My handle is the name of the band I'm in....I originally chose it so I could impersonally post some show info....but then I kinda got into this skank place and the peeps...!!!

a little piece of shit kid in grade school noticed while we were changing for a basketball game that i was the first boy in our class to develop "pit hair"

subsequently, he made numerous jokes at my expense. one of them was in reference to Star Wars' Chewbacca...guess what...it stuck [Frown]

like homosexuals who embraced the names gay and queer, i too welcomed my new moniker with open arms... [Razz]

I was listening to the song when I picked it, but I did like the story, so my curiosity got me and I read up on it.And at the time I had hair past my waist and a phat beard.Hence "hairy"

The number 13 was somtning I always used with any nickname.Favourite number.

It basically comes from me picking a nickname that best described my person.

Just like to read and read alot, not to hard to come up with this.

The thought behind it : about 2 seconds after I read about that story.Not much to figure out, rather simple.(for me at least)

FYI - There's a Ferriswheeler tune called "Esau"... but in our case it was just a play on words - "E Song" just didn't cut it anymore [Wink]

(shameless self promotion)

Check a live video for Esau here courtesy jamhub.ca, shot March 15 when we opened for Drums & Tuba.

No hidden meaning:

I'm pulling the pavement from under my nails

I brush past a garden, dependent on whales

The sloping companion I cast down the ash

Yanked on my tunic and dangled my stash

Zipping through the forest with the curdling fleas

To grow with them spindles, the mutant I seize

I capture the dread beast who falls to his knees

And cries to his cohorts, asleep in the trees

Smegma, dogmatagram, fishmarket stew

Police in a corner, gunnin' for you

Appletoast, bedheated, furblanket rat

Laugh when they shoot you, say

"Please don't do that"

Control for smilers can't be bought

The solar garlic starts to rot

Was it for this my life I sought?

Maybe so and maybe not (Maybe so and maybe not)

Was it for this my life I sought? (Maybe so and maybe not)

Control for smilers can't be bought (Maybe so and maybe not)

The solar garlic starts to rot (Maybe so and maybe not)

Was it for this my life I sought? (Maybe so and maybe not)

quote:

Originally posted by bsherman:

Mine is the most original ever!

bsherman

My name is Brian SHERMAN - there ya go - brilliant ain't it?

I knew it was based on your name but I also think it's cool that it can be said like "basher-man" when spoken out loud.... was that intentional? Pretty cool.... now stop bashing me, it hurts! [Razz]

a way's back, a goth-industrial-artist sorta girl I knew started calling me "paisley mcfly" because I had an old favorite paisley patterned shirt I always wore... (my name is "jhamie mcphail", sounds kinda the same)... soon all the goths were called me "paisley"

I enjoy the mental imagery of being trippin multi-coloured patterns amidst a sea of dark(meaning me when I was kickin about with the freaky, black-encased, goth kids)

around these here parts there's color everywhere [big Grin]

So here's the story:

I met the nero boys and Dave said, "oh, you're the BASHER MAN!" I explained what my nickname meant, but he said (and I agreed) that BASHER MAN is WAY better. The rest as they say, is history.

Dave from nero gets full credit on this one!

..I couldn't think of anything very creative...but when I lived in Nelson my roommate began calling me Hulia(my name is Julia), before I knew it everyone I knew was coming up with a new version on a daily basis...Howlin Hoolie,Hooliliscious, The Hoolinator, Howler,Hoolio Eglascios, Hoolster, Huli,Hooligible,Hoolibility.....it went on and on..I was pretty amused by this.....so I chose Howler cause it reminds me of the good times spent w/my buddies in the great B.C.Interior. [big Grin]

Oh and Sloth had been my nickname since highschool(due to a mellow attitude not laziness) but my boy took it here [Roll Eyes]

Back in the day when ForbinHood romped this board a little change came about...

Hangin out in the KOA Kampground (Can we drink at a place like this? Kinda family oriented aint it?) after the SCI show in 2001 Finger Lakes a guy had a big smile on his face while listening to some fun jamming of phriends on guitars...

Slowly his head started to nod... grooving to songs being sung about him by a guy named Booche...

Next thing he knows a cool kid from somewhere in the states is smakin him on the shoulder sayin "Hey, PassedOutGuy what ya doin? "

A day later ForbinHood had retired.

quote:

Originally posted by paisley:

question: how'd there get to be a "Bouche" and a "Booche" both from Ottawa?

They're the Bouchard bros., booche I think received a B&P years ago addressed to "Booche" so that's the way we tell them apart now.

as for me I had been hanging out with my friend Wackamole on phall phish tour 2000 just before I joined the board, he'd been calling me davey boy a lot so i just went with it

Yeah, brothers, that's the story......

Actually, I think we would have both spelled it Bouche, had there not been a mixup one day when I opened a Relix magazine, to see if they were running my ad, and finding out they mis-spelled Booche.

Being a Bouchard, ALL our childhood friends called both of us Bou/oche.

Either that, or we are a couple of big mouths [Wink]

Archived