Jambands.ca

Question of the Day 07-15-04

Ms.Huxtable

How about brother/sister? The White Stripes would be included, then.

If you allow history to creep in, The Beach Boys had (IIRC) a pair of brothers and a cousin.

Z, which features Ahmet and Dweezil Zappa, may or may not still be around.

Isn't Hanson a set of three brothers?

I think one early incarnation of Dire Straits had the brothers Knopfler in it, and, of course, there's The Kinks, and Oasis.

Aloha,

Brad

Jordan played cowbell alongside his brother Jay, in nero for a short period. I thought it went over well, as did Christopher Walken who kept demanding "more cowbell". However, it drove Lauzon crazy.

Having twins in a band...like Bullmoose, opens up telepathy. Once you have that, your set.

How about brother/sister? The White Stripes would be included, then.

I always thought Jack and Meg were not bro / sis but a divorced couple... Anyone?

AD

Hmmm...you may be right. From http://www.whitestripes.net/band-info.php

One of a new breed of back-to-basics rock acts to emerge from Detroit, Michigan, USA, the White Stripes comprises enigmatic bass-free duo Jack White (b. John Anthony Gillis, Detroit, Michigan, USA; guitar/vocals) and Meg White (b. Megan Martha White, Detroit, Michigan, USA; drums). The Whites, variously assumed to be husband and ex-wife or brother and sister, but both denied, formed their new band in 1997. Judging from their facial looks it initially seemed likely the duo were brother and sister, but the matter was confused by Jack White stating that the couple were once married and the posting of a marriage license and divorce certificate on the Internet.

Aloha,

Brad

Yes, that's what I was after Bouchey. Do you think the blood relationships make for a tighter band or sibling rivalry? I for one think sibling harmonies are the sweetest kind. Similar voices playing off each other (think GTB). I love that.

Bullmoose's rhythm section is DAMN tight. Could be the twin thing happening. I don't know.

Two that come immediately to mind are the Bee Gees and the Beach Boys. The BB's in particular had a strained but powerful artistic relationship, and don't forget that Mike Love wasn't a Wilson brother but a cousin, another family connection.

Also, I believe that Flavor Flav and Cher are brother and sister but I could be wrong.

I consider you all my brothers and sisters. Except Willy. He's more like a weird cousin. From France. Much love to you all. Please don't tell Dad about the magazines and rolling papers.

Guest Low Roller

The Marsalis Family CD is excellent. Even though they don't play regularly (or ever for that matter), the combination of these brothers and father resulted in some epic jazz.

If we want to match this up with a QotD about "Which bands have the heaviest negative vibes within their members?", we could add:

- Creedence Clearwater Revival (John vs. Tim Fogerty)

- Bachman-Turner Overdrive (Randy vs. Robbie Bachman, with Tim Bachman also one of the original members [replaced with Blair Thornton])

Aloha,

Brad