Jambands.ca

trying to track down professional writers in Otown

meggo

I asked the technical writer I work with if he'd be interested if you were interested and he would probably be interested in speaking to the kids if you wanted.

He used to be a teacher too, and he's a VERY funny guy.

Maybe you could get a few speakers in one morning with different perspectives?

is this one of those, "i know that you know that i know that they know that we know" threads? heehee!

logistically i'm not sure exactly how i would swing that but it definitely has potential to be an interesting class. our only thing with guest speakers is that we try to share them amongst ourselves (heheh), there are three career studies teachers; but if it's only possible to come to one class then i win! thanks.

A friend of mine is a fairly successful short-story writer from Toronto, but he now lives in Boston (I think). He is definitely in the US. That being said, he is a great guy and a schoolteacher himself. Not surprisingly, I believe he teaches writing. He is also from Toronto. His name is "Jon Papernick" and I encourage you to look him up online. His big book is called "The Ascent of Eli Israel" and is excellent.

Obviously, he can't come in and talk to your class, but if you're somewhat stuck, I am sure I could email him and see if he will be able to assist you in some way.

This may not be very helpful, but I thought I'd pass this along as an option.

hey hey folks!

just wanted to give a great big "thanks" again from me and the monkeys... i had two replies already from guys who are willing (and even "honoured" and "flattered".... i love writers!) to come in as a guest speaker! i'm so glad. i have one student who i'm sure you will see again someday.. grade 10 and unbelievable writing... yay skancs. :D