Jambands.ca

~ GTB LOVE THREAD ~

Jay Funk Dawg

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yippee BandWhore!!! Can't wait to see your crazy ass. Call my cell if you want to meet up for drinks with Sanchez, Mouse and I beforehand.

Anyone have any info on the advanced ticket BS? I haven't been to the Rivoli in years. Should I get tickets on my way into the city? Before I start throwing gin down my throat?

Kaidy Mae.

Honestly, $10 priced me out of it I bet...

Not a fan. Don't really like them. No problem throwing away a 5-spot. But I'm not likely going out to support one of those "anti-jam" bands. lol.

seriously, do they get a crowd? or will I recognize everyone in the place as usual? (not that I don't like people, but just my point about the $5 vs. $10 thing. ie. for $5 they might attract some new people, but instead its $10 and just the die-hards.)

I have no problem paying to see a band. I do have a problem paying $10 to get into some "semi-classy" bar to see a BAR BAND that constantly plays across Canada for the same group of people every time.

My point was that if some of these bands lowered the covers, then more of the fence-sitters / passersby / people being pushed would show up.

A $5 donation is one thing, $10 is getting close to real money. I mean hell, I'm already going to donate a fortune to the bar. When it gets to be 2 GTB or 1 WSP then why the hell would anyone see GTB. Thats my point. (I'm trying to get at an argument that parallels the idea of giving away music for free through tapers leads to more CDs purchased, but struggling a little with it...)

I really don't want to get into this (and as such, probably shouldn't have started it like I did) but we're talking about the difference between $5 and $10 for a band that traveled from the other side of the country. But hey if you don't like 'em, I can't blame you for not wanting to pay $10. Attendance will show if they can charge this much.

I'm not complaining, just pointing out that $10 is now the going rate for a CanJam show... I'm still trying to score a heady ride to Montreal tomorrow to see them, more to check out if they've gotten any better than the last 8 or so times I left disappointed... If I don't get my ride, it's $10 of mine going to Apostle Of Hustle in Ottawa...

I really don't want to get into this (and as such, probably shouldn't have started it like I did) but we're talking about the difference between $5 and $10 for a band that traveled from the other side of the country. But hey if you don't like 'em, I can't blame you for not wanting to pay $10. Attendance will show if they can charge this much.

But you're hitting my point a little. Attendance won't show. What attendance will show is whether there is any competition in the area within the "scene". If there isn't, it'll be full. If there is, it won't. This will continue until people like Del for instance, get to the magic number of "boring" or "repetitive" or whatever shows. Then GTB will burn out. Then no one will go. All the while they may have been able to attract some people from outside the "scene" by charging a measely $5 instead of $10.

I mean if you're not a jamband music junky, and someone says lets go check this out for $10, you have a different response then for $5. Thats all...

GTB will burn out.

The Last show was packed at close to 180 people... that shows some growth on the part of the band, i think the first show in Toronto I did with them about a year ago only got 110 people. I don't see them burning out anytime soon... In fact I think the new album is going to propell this band to new heights.

Pricing for shows is a tricky thing... I know people who don't want to go see a $5 show... it's too cheap, makes them feel like the band isn't very good. I think that $10 is a fair price for a band that's been around for almost 5 years.. released two great albums and keep pushing the artistic envelope. Let's face it, it's an expensive city to live in... it's also expensive to tour and record albums... We've promoted this show pretty hard and I am sure that we'll see some new faces....

hope to see some of you freaks tonight!!