Jambands.ca

~ GTB LOVE THREAD ~

Jay Funk Dawg

"I have had to wait outside many times, but only blame myself for showing up late, not the bar, not the band or a certain group of people who don't usually attend their shows."

Yes, it's ok to be disappointed for not getting in, but blaming anyone but yourself is usually the wrong thing to do. Learn from it and show up earlier and blame yourself. I just thought that was a very great point to remember when faced with a full-house.

Tickler, are you coming to Ottawa for the next Bus?

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and del, you can dish it but you can't take it. even when it's not directed at you. at least i had relevence for being crass, unlike your comment (which you are welcome to having your opinion) regarding all of our new songs being "sh!tty". we are humans. and that is an insult. not that i care, it just makes you sort of a hypocrite.

Hilarious... I can dish it but not take it? What the hell is that supposed to mean? Maybe people don't care to admit it on here, but after every Bus show I attended over the last year, many, many people complained that the new songs weren't "cutting it"... There's still an underlying tone to the fact that people seem to like the old Bus songs more than the new ones. I think there's a lot of relevance to my being crass... I've spent a hell of a lot of time and money on Grand Theft Bus. Now all that seems like a bit of a waste. Why? Because I have next to no interest in the new Bus material. On those nights when I went out of my way to travel to a bar, pay my cover and buy a bunch of drinks, I could have been doing something else. Did I have good times? Of course, well, up until about a year ago when GTB announced they were "no longer a jam band", and the music stopped appealing to me. And heaven knows I tried to get into them. Eight or so shows into the new Bus sound, I decided that those new songs were sh!tty, well, at least to me anyways. My crassness stems from me losing a band that I used to love... And don't try to pull that "we're human" crap... You're in a band... Deal with it. What happens when some critic reviews something you do and basically says the same thing I've said? Are you going to e-mail him and have a good cry over how unethical his behaviour was? Get real. There's nothing hypocritical about voicing my feelings on what (in my opinion) is a huge fall from grace for this band. I find it more hypocritical to come on here with your first post and make a mildly offensive comment, then, when people start bad talking you, come on and post a rebuttal of said post. I was sticking up for GTB in my last post, at least in terms of venue choice and cut off times, yet you single me out for expressing my dislike of which direction you have taken over the last year or so. Who cares if I think the new songs suck, I still said I was coming to the Ottawa show... Why alienate someone willing to come see you even when they're not happy with what's been being played lately? You obviously "care", because you mentioned me by name. That in itself is hypocritical as well...

And Tickler, regarding nero... I'm not from Ottawa, and the difference between what has been said about GTB vs. what was being said about nero is that people never stopped enjoying what nero was doing... I'm not saying everyone liked nero, but you most certainly didn't have die-hard fans of nero suddenly questioning which direction nero was heading in. Some of nero's hardest critics are from Ottawa... Why? Because it doesn't do a band any good to constantly keep saying "that's great"... Honest criticism is good for a band, whereas kneeling before them doesn't help them at all... Why bother improving if everyone already loves what you're doing? I can't tell you how many times I told the nero boys that I wasn't too happy with one aspect or another of something they did. Whether it was song selection, playing, etc. if it didn't work it didn't work... And yeah, occasionally I used the word sh!tty to describe something... Even some of the east coast kids are getting a little fed up with all the hype surrounding the new GTB album, based on a couple of posts on Jamhub.ca... It's really no secret that the east coast loves GTB and JSB, just because they aren't totally being received with open arms outside of NS, NB, PEI, etc. doesn't mean that there aren't some hardcore fans outside of the east. I used to be one, now I'm not. I just find it humourous that 98% of people from the east coast follow them blindly... That doesn't happen with too many bands, nor do I think it should happen with any...

"I've spent a hell of a lot of time and money on Grand Theft Bus. Now all that seems like a bit of a waste"

"On those nights when I went out of my way to travel to a bar, pay my cover and buy a bunch of drinks, I could have been doing something else."

Paying money out of your own pocket to bring a band to a venue is an investment. Managing a band is an investment. Buying musical instruments and spending time learning and practicing is an investment.

Paying money to see a show, taking a cab, and buying booze and getting wasted there is NOT AN INVESTMENT!

GEEZ! I can't believe I just read that.

Dennis is from K.V, NewBrunswick(aka chink) He's my favorite Bus memeber(the rest of you guys are cool too though)If you guys make action figures I want to get one of the first Dennis's ok? hahah

I'm not the biggest bus fan, but they are doin what they want and doing quite well i might add doing that! I was kinda pissed about bobs comment at first ,but sh!t, i was like what would i have said, and it was way worse than "whiney bastards" i woulda been talkin sh!t about people mothers nad everything, hahah! But if ya dont liek their new sh!t and dont wanna hear them, then dont go check em out, no need to slag em on the board!!

thats just my High ramblings, sorry if it pisses anyone off

Del, I didn't see the word 'investment'. What you typed implied an investment and I've been that impression from a couple of other rants and it just drove me crazy enough to post instead of screaming in my lil office.

I need an outlet sometimes

You're lucky I didn't call you a whiney bastard. ;)

"people never stopped enjoying what nero was doing"

nero never changed what they were doing. they just improved on it. they got a manager and replaced their bass player to go places they couldn't otherwise. GTB are constantly retooling and in that they're evolving in many different directions. they've got the talent already...some say they lack a strong lead player but i just don't think they allow for it in their arrangements and songwriting. Personally, I dont' mind that they din't groove as much as they used to but that's not where they're coming from anymore. (but i wish they'd step up the dancefloor like they used to) They're appealing to different sensibilities. too bad for the old fans that they're not open to those sensibilities but i think it's a lot better to just not go check them out or buy the album and leave more copies for people that like it and more room at the bar for the rest of us to buy drinks and lean and listen.

I'm absolutely glad that there's a division of taste in this circuit. there're a lot of bands and i'm sure that contact appreciated the few people that showed up there instead of at the bus. You folk are starting to get a bit silly...you're still good folks...at least you're spirited about something.

keep in mind that GTB have really only been around for a few years...5? that's not a long time to get everything solidified. you can't stick to one thing for 30 years and expect to be able to write a lot of new material...even though the dead played for that long, how many new songs did they write in the 80's and thereafter? a large or small number? when artists want to be abel to create they have to get a feel for themselves and I think the boys in the bus are doing just that. If there's a chance that they'll be around for years to come they need to be able to do it their way. i'd argue that they're making some of the best new music around even if you don't like it.

i'm sure that they could appeal to more people with little tweaks here and there and developing songwriting ideas more or less, but they're doing it for themselves and they're a group with a lot of integrity and direction. i miss the old songs but they'll break em out on tour...they're still awesome tunes and shouldn't be ignored and forgotten.

An open thought:

when you're playing a string of dates and need to keep setlists fresh, it's a bad decision to stop playing songs that are as well written, well crafted, and well played as the tunes off birth of confusion. i hope that you remember this if you're planning on a tour. keep it fresh but keep it tight. i think the noteworthy criticism should be about the performance rather than the material. i wasn't there but i keep it in mind having seen the guys up close before. I can't help but notice the scrutiny on the songwriting, arrangements, lyrics, and phrasing on all the tunes on birth of confusion. the songs are perfected and rehearsed - now it's time to get the performance nailed down. watch some prince. make it seem effortless with presence and it'll lift off!

Geez, Del I think the band took the gamble on pointing you out due to your last few comments.

Remeber when you said you were going to give the band onemore shot and if they do not change then its going to be your last show. Well I am guessing that in the next month, they are not giong to re-invent for you, so looks like you got one more bus show to go to. I hope you enjoy it. Have fun and invest well.

" I just find it humourous that 98% of people from the east coast follow them blindly... That doesn't happen with too many bands"

They always say that east coast canadians are nicer. Sorry we don't tell bands they suck more often or that they should cater more to our musical tastes. Just because you think something is sh!t or does not sound good to you, does not make it right to tell a band that.

Again, I have no problem being a nice guy.

That's exactly it. Thing is this band is great... but damn, we have such a tough time guarnteeing spaces that are the appropriate size. If we had draw like that all the time, we could always have a bigger venue, but since this live music thing has been hit or miss, the promoter takes a hit... many times. When a show like this happens, when we actually get a big draw, we can't be blamed for having issues at the door. We base our decsions on what has happened in the past, and at the previous show we did not have issues with the size of the room. So we picked a venue 10% too small... this time... thing is, if you really want to see the band, you can get there early, and buy a drink(water!?), and support the bar too for helping us out with the room. You would realize it takes oil to greese the engine, and you would humbly support the arts. So you couldn't get in. Toronto has tonnes of great art venues... and tonnes of great artists. We should support each other, and talk to each other as opposed to criticizing and complaining all the time. So buy the CD give it a couple listens, realize why so many people got there in front of you to guarntee them a spot inside, and anxiously await their return where they will be in a bigger room. When life gives you lemons, make lemmondade Petunia.

Thanks for you patcience, and thanks to everyone that actually had a good time that night.

\/\/

• 2 weeks later...

i'm just glad i got to see the bus more than a dozen times throuought '03-'04...before the crowds got too big for the smaller venues (marquee in jaunuary?...and the riv) and when the songs were still jammy. Heck there were shows in halifax where it was empty for half the show. just me and the dance floor....and spinner girl.

i've come to terms with their new direction but i dont concider myself as much of a fan as i was...its been fun. VERY fun. Thank you bus for all those great times.

Can't Jam band be a genre? Songs that never sound the same live. a bit of stucture, but improvisational for the most part....So i guess the jam band genre is called 'improv' in the real world? mmmmm. nero.

why did this thread get bumped? [color:"purple"]uf, you're a weirdo. (i'm just joking. you're not a weirdo. although i really don't know why you bumped this)

while i'm here though, dancing bear, did you mean moi? (just wondering, i noticed once upon a time in the userlist there actually is someone named p.p., i just didn't know if you meant pp as me, or this person -- as in maybe they are under another username now that you secretly know about and i don't).

anyway, if it was me, thanks. haha.