Jambands.ca

Ottawa folk: best donair?

bradm

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alrighty. We went to the Friendly Corner (gotta love Josie) and I requested the donair with the sweet sauce. You are bang-on Mikey. That thing is the best I have had in Ottawa.

I am so glad my dad knocked up my mom, which produced you. The things I have learned in this world from you............awesome.

I will have to try this as generally Donairs don't do it for me.

on Wednesday's I can be found eating pizza in 1 plus 1 across the street from the Friendly Corner. Best cheap-ass pizza in Ottawa that I've found so far in 3 years of investigation.I know, it's not fancy and the guys there are rude but the pie is good.

Friendly Corner— sauce- good, meat- not so much

i still prefer hooley's although they're skimpy on the meat

Try it. Ask for the sweet sauce with onion, tomato and lettuce and tell them Mike sent you.

Then, next time I'm in, I'll go "hey, did a guy come in here and ask for the sweet sauce with onion, tomato and lettuce ? Did he say 'Mike sent me'?"

I had ONE donair where the meat was a little dry, but since I've been going quite regularly, interact all friendly-like, they seem to get better and better.

i did try it the other day and the spices in the meat aren't even close, but anyway I'm glad you enjoy it

Al Czervik: Oh, this is the worst-looking hat I ever saw. What, when you buy a hat like this I bet you get a free bowl of soup, huh?

[looks at Judge Smails, who's wearing the same hat]

Al Czervik: Oh, it looks good on you though.

I agree with del...something about thier sauce.

what...like too much?

I thought that Donair sauce is basically vinegar, sugar, onion, salt and oil...the basic ingredients to poppy seed dressing, but I just found this.

Donair Sauce

(adapted from King of Donair, on `Pizza Corner', Halifax)

* 2/3 cup canned evaporated milk

* 2/3 cup sugar

* 1/4 cup white vinegar

* 1/2 tsp garlic powder

Stir canned milk, sugar and garlic powder until sugar is dissolved. Add vinegar and continue mixing. The quicker you add the vinegar and the less you mix (I usually give the spoon 3 or 4 turns around the bowl), the thicker the sauce will be. Let sauce sit for at least one hour in refrigerator before using. Eventually (hours to days later), the sauce may start to separate. DO NOT STIR IT. Simply skim the thick sauce off the top. It tastes fine, despite the appearance that all the vinigar has seeped out of it.

You should be able to get thick sauce simply by following the instructions in the top recipe. I can get mine a bit thicker than yogurt. Occasionally, I blow it and stir too much and the sauce gets thin again. If your sauce is not thick enough (I like spoons to stand up in it) follow the recipe below. It is my new favorite.

Follow the link and it looks like you can just use sweetened condensed milk (like in vietnamese shakes and teas) as it's loaded with sugar.

http://cfa-www.harvard.edu/~gpetitpas/Links/Donair.html

i still prefer hooley's although they're skimpy on the meat

Hooley's is reviewed in this week's Ottawa XPress, and they did not like the food (except the tartar sauce).

Truthfully, I was only there for one thing: the Hally donair. I admit that it's been a long cold day since I've eaten a donair, but I don't remember it being like this one: a half pound of dry meat, some cursory chopped tomatoes and a stingy amount of garlic sauce (which actually tasted quite good, so more of this would have gone a long way).

Aloha,

Brad