Jambands.ca

Ottawa folk: best donair?

bradm

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Hooley's just got 3 strikes. I had another shitty meal there with a very poor excuse for a donair. Again, the frozen preformed "meat", and only 3 fucking slices! It was pure shit for 9.99.

I'm not going to Hooley's again. My buddy Pat had nachos and I was sick looking at them. The can't even make goddamn nachos!

Today, I had the pleasure of a friendly corner donair. It was really damn good. For only $4.75 it has loads of meat, sliced straight from the loaf on the vertical broiler right before your eyes. The sweet sauce is homemade and today it was freshly made. You have to ask for onions, and the sweet sauce, but once you do, you'll be in cheap lunch heaven.

• 2 months later...

I worked at a pizza place back home in Moncton called Pizza Delight for 5 years. Our donairs were like none other, served on a flat pizza dough cooked with spicy donair beef and cheese in the oven then garnished with the thickest donair sauce you'll ever see, lettuce, onions and tomatoes. I've seen people from all over come in and ask to by a bulk amount of our sauce, and also ask for uncooked dough and meat so they could bring it back with them. Pretty famous stuff for a long time. If your ever out east or near a PD I suggest stopping in and trying one out. You may or may not like the thick stuff, but it adds a edgy spin to your regular pita.

Mmmmm oh man it's been years since I've had one of those.... why did I have to go and make myself crave one now.

• 3 years later...
Now...don't mix up Donair and Shawarma though.

You obviously haven't meant me.

Istanbouli was hands down better than Shawarma Palace, definately had to go for the large size though.

The Palace had so much chicken rammed on that metal rod that it was bound to be dry, which it was.