Jambands.ca

Ottawa folk: best donair?

bradm

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

We went to Hooley's last night for dinner. I had the "Original Halifax Donair" and it was very good. The taste reminded me a roast beef sandwich dipped in sweet and sour sauce.

This was my first donair ever. I wasn't sure exactly what to expect but it did surprise me how clean the meat was cut. Does this mean they don't use the traditional meat spool that you see in so many donair shops across the city? Is the "spooling" done in Halifax before the meat is shipped to Ottawa?

I also have to mention the fries which were hand cut and fresh. The decline in french fry quality in all facets of the food service industry has been a peeve of mine for a while. I can safely say these are the best non-chip stand fries I can remember having in Ottawa in years. The poutine must be killer.

And as a bar I liked Hooley's too. It's in the old Bravo Bravo location. The bar itself is really nice with an oblong shape that allows patrons to sit anywhere along it's length. A 3-piece band was just starting as we left. Too bad we didn't catch more because they soundchecked with Sample in a Jar!

Edited to add: Beer selection was inspired. They have several beers from Church Keys and McAuslan breweries. I had the Church Key Scotch Ale which tasted like ass but I still applaud the variety in the beer lineup. This is one complex beer. First half of my pint had a strong blue cheese taste; wasn't until the end I started tasting some scotch notes. I recommend you try this beer once. I cleansed my palate with a deliciously floral McAuslan Cream Ale.

This is interesting...

I went to my fave shawarma (Istanbouli) joint last night for a good ole mixed platter...I noticed they no longer serve the traditional "shawarma beef" but have swapped it out for "donair meat".

I decided to try it...and was pleasantly surprised. I guess you'd call it a cross between a shawarma and donair, as they use donair meat but top it with thier flavourful tahini/sesame sauce, and all the typical shawarma toppings.

I like to call it the "shawair"

Also...has anyone tried the donairs at the corner of Rideau and Charlotte?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I hate to tell you this Mike but I walked by there this afternoon.

$5.50 with a pop

I know. It went up, and I complained, so I got it for the old price. I now happily pay their new price because they said "we have to eat too you know"

Trust me. The experience is more than the donair. The old couple that run the joint will have fun at your expense.

The whole thing contradicts "the friendly corner".