Jambands.ca

Ottawa folk: best donair?

bradm

I used to work at a a pizza place that had the best Donair and donair sauce on the planet. The owner had paid thousands of dollars from the orginal owner for the recipes (the place was famous for its donairs since the 1950's or something).

If only I could remember the recipes I would open up a donair shop here in Ottawa, but alas years of drugs have robbed my memory, also the recipes were bizarre. All measuring was done with these antique china cups (no standard measuring).

Oh how I'd kill for a Louis' donair poutine....My own creation, consisted of plate of spicy cheese fries covered in donair meat and sauce add ketchup if needed.

here's a great recipe I found on the net, comes out a little watery but tastes great!!

6 oz evaporated milk, chilled

3 oz white sugar

1/2 tsp garlic powder

2 tbsp vinegar

Mix evaporated milk, sugar and garlic powder together in a small

bowl. Add vinegar and stir just until mixture thickens. Refrigerate

until ready to use.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not really a huge donair fan but any meat skewer will win my heart and wallet. That turkish place at Bank and Somerset is surprisingly good even though there's never anyone in there.

I especially like kibbeh - ground lamb and spices formed on a skewer and grilled over charcoal. Next time you go to Shawarma Queen/Shawarma's King ask them to make it for you.

I fucking love Lamb in general actually.

• 3 weeks later...

Yesterday I had a "real" donair, it took a drive to Carp to get it but it was well worth the trip. In a little gas station on the side of the highway there is a sign I haven't seen since Nova Scotia...and that sign said "Greco Pizza" which is basically the pizzapizza of the east coast, only its good. I ordered a double donair with extra sauce and mozzerella....and even though the meat wasn't carved off a stick, it still tasted perfect...Dinghy anytime you wanna go, let me know. Next time I'm getting a donair pizza with garlic fingers!!!

From Ms. Hux's Donair link:

A variation on the döner kebab known as a Donair was introduced in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada in the early 1970s. A restaurant called The King Of Donair (http://www.kingofdonairs.com) claims to have been the first to serve this version in 1973. The meat in this version is sliced from a loaf made from a combination of ground beef, flour or bread crumbs, and various spices, while the sauce is made from evaporated milk, sugar, vinegar, and sometimes garlic

This differentiates the Donair from the gyro (made more or less the same way but with lamb) and the chicken/beef shwarma that is made with whole deboned chickens and butterflied crappy cuts of beef.

In conclusion, I've learned alot today.

Velvet, Thanks for the heads up!

Dave-O, overall Greco pizza isn't that special but their sauce is untouchable by any Pizza I've had in Ottawa. All it takes is just add a little brown sugar to the sauce...mmmmmmmmmmmm

Booche, Make me a donair bitch!

The closest I've ever came to an east coast donair was in Kingston, ON at a place called King Of Pizza & Donairs... They had a proper sweet sauce and amazing donair meat... I used to get the donair pizza, which was amazing... If this place that Freeker is talking about has real sweet sauce, I'm definitely interested in checking it out...

I haven't logged in for over two weeks and the Donair thread is still going!! I love this fuckin board!

I might just have to search out a juicy donair tomorrow, although I am still not sure if a decision has been made on best Donair in Ottawa so I am still a bit confused. Oh well, I am sure there will be a consensus before the end of the summer.

JT

:P

So........I decided today was the day for a mission. Grabbed a sidekick (FBTS), headed east-bound on the 417, exited Carp road, hung a left and voila! ULTRAMAR! oops, I mean GRECO'S!!! That's right folks, GRECO'S within 15 minutes of downtown Ottawa (thanks for the tip Velvet!) I didn't know what to expect...

We were walking into a gas station, thank god Trev had been there before and he reassured me everything was going to be all right. I pulled open the door and my eyes were drawn to this odd little green flashing light, on top of a rotating carousel of square pizza slices. The little man working behind the counter was very quiet as we walked up, just a quiet hello.

Then it was time...my partner in crime did it first."I'll have a double donair please, with mozzarella and lots of sauce" and then the little man working behind the counter started working his magic. This man is some sort of donair god in my opinion. "CHRIST LOOK AT ALL THAT MEAT!" I thought to myself. "That thing is a beef bomb!" I kid you not, they must have slaughtered an entire cow for my donair(s) ;) alone! The donair god has handed me a cute little packet of tinfoil and we head to the cash. This very interesting woman working the cash starts talking to us and we only have one desire right now and that is to chow down! She goes on and on and on, she was very nice, but we had other things to tend too...

Finally after a nice story about Greco's and thier franchises we finally escape outside, to my car and prepare for the feast that's about to ensue. Actually, there was no preperation what so ever, I sat in the driver's seat and tore off the tinfoil...no music, no nothing, it was eating time! The madness that followed cannot be repeated in this forum due to it's graphic nature, but I can tell you there was foil, beef and pita flying everywhere, fingers dripping, and foreheads sweating.

FINISHED...One nice big bop to finish things off and start to reminisce about what was probably the best donair I have had in my life. The beef was just perfect, the sauce was soooo sweet and the bread was just right, everything I have ever wanted in a donair, and I'll tell you this...the onions...WOW, to bad FBTS doesn't like onions. I thought it was an excellent addition!

Anyways...thanks to this thread...I have a new friend, and his name is GRECO!