Jambands.ca

Ottawa folk: best donair?

bradm

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Low Roller

The one's in Paris were fantastic, but they called them 'sandwich turc'.

On the other hand they are massively lame in Brighton, and most likely artery-clogging, and they call them 'sharmas'.

Whatever they are called, I miss this little joint in Kanata called Soup 'r Sandwich. Quality lunch food.

So far the only "true donairs" (or mystery meat wrapped with tomatoes, onions drowning in donair sauce) are found in the Maritimes "King of Donair" that is on Spring Garden Rd (still?) made THE BEST donairs I have ever had. Just thinking about them is inducing "Homer Drool"...

The maritimes is the Home of the Greatest Donairs on Earth....for sure.... if ya go to the market during the summer in Fredericton...the vendors that sell the donairs there will give you the Best donair you could ever imagine!!!

I would say Maroush doesn't sell donairs. They sell spicy beef shawarmas with sweet sauce, but they still ain't donairs.

I would agree with that assessment. And thanks for calling me this weekend, jerk! :thumbdown:

"I would agree with that assessment. And thanks for calling me this weekend, jerk!"

I left the ball in your court with my "What's happening in Moncton tonight" thread on the hub.

I didn't want to be the "I'm visiting so you must hang out with me" guy.

I would say Maroush doesn't sell donairs. They sell spicy beef shawarmas with sweet sauce, but they still ain't donairs.

I was very excited to get my donair fix this weekend in Moncton.

Maroush does sell them. Maybe it's only at the Hull one. They used to be on Sparks st. and I'd get them for lunch fairly regularly but then they moved to Hull. I've gone there about 4 times and each time they've already run out of Donair meat. Perhaps they are that popular?

Good Ottawa donair - doesn't exist

Maroush's with sweet sauce is the closest thing and its still a far cry from real donair, the meat is all wrong.

KOD in Hali is godlike but for the best east coast donair ya gotta go to the darkside (Dartmouth) and go to Roberts Donair....best in the city, the thing is the size of a football.

Speaking of donair/gyros the size of footballs when in Hamilton visit Queens Subs for about a pound and a half of greasy, right off the turning stick, constipating goodness. And you can even get veggies on it if that's your thing.

Greek Souvlaki House, Baseline and Prince of Wales , it's worth the drive, if you're hungry ;) Real fake meat as far as I'm concerned and good prices. Greek on Wheels used to do a good one too but I think they're out of business, but boy a couple of donair/pitas and some cokes and the hangover is GONE!

Guest Low Roller

Greek on Wheels is out of business??? NOOOOO! I leave the country, and my favorite fast food place falls apart. Nuts.

Man, am I jonesin' for an east coast donair right now.

Got a spicy beef jones

Got a wet pita jones

Got a creamy sweet jones so baby,

Ew-ew-ewwwww.

I've got a storyboard in my head for that song being the next The Tummies video...and the thought of the combination of mung and sweet donair sauce (even though I've never had it and don't really know what it is) makes me feel, I don't know, soiled somehow...

Aloha,

Brad