Jambands.ca

Big Summer Classic to be cancelled?

Basher

As I posted on PT:

Honestly, once a promoter books a tour I say let it go on and take a bath on it, learn from it, and go from there.

It would be like me introducing a new product, taking pre-orders, then waiting to see if I will make money or not before I actually fulfill orders. This is a shady way to do business IMO.

Why are people giving money to promoters that aren't in it for the music? There's no way to know which until you start seeing the patterns of cancellations, or dropouts.

If you can figure out which promoters are doing it for the love of music, then share the word. I know we know quite a few of the good ones, but the really big ones seem pretty shady.

Obviously, there are times where the show can't go on like the Shaker Fest. Everyone knows that that organizer wasn't in it for the money and other factors made the cancellation happen.

"Big Summer Classic producers say their tour is still on and selling well. "We're kickin' ass," String Cheese Incident manager Mike Luba tells Billboard.com. "We're projecting that almost everywhere will sell out. But we're playing 10,000 seaters, not 20,000 seaters. We feel like or cost is fair to the promoters, and the ticket prices are fair to the kids."

Honestly, once a promoter books a tour I say let it go on and take a bath on it, learn from it, and go from there.

I really don't think it's shady to back out something if it is clear that money is going to be lost. Lessons can still be learned without going through with something you know is going to lose you lots of money and perhaps fuck up your life because of it. Perhaps backing out will allow something even better to be put on in the future, using the lessons learned from the failed attempt and still having the money to put towards it. That said, I know NOTHING at all about this situation, just pointing out the obvious... people don't owe it to anyone to lose a ton of cash. It's business.

It is a really special thing though when a promoter is in it for the music, and go through with it even though money is being lost. Like Woodstock or Festival Express... that is why it is an extra special thing. It just shouldn't be EXPECTED that people should choose to lose money if they can help it.

DUDE! Stop the freakin' rumours!! Anyway, here's a quote taken from this article, released at billboard.com the day after the Zooma cancellation was made, read the article here:

http://www.billboard.com/bb/daily/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1000937652

---------------------------

The quote from Mike Luba:

Big Summer Classic producers say their tour is still on and selling well. "We're kickin' ass," String Cheese Incident manager Mike Luba tells Billboard.com. "We're projecting that almost everywhere will sell out. But we're playing 10,000 seaters, not 20,000 seaters. We feel like or cost is fair to the promoters, and the ticket prices are fair to the kids."

---------------------------

????????? Like i mean here is the deal.. It is not cheap to take shit to the island. in fact in response to a post up top, this tour at least for toronto has juts as much if not more overhead than zooma... Getting a fucking stage built to that caliber quality on a fucking island at the end of the day will cost a pretty penny... We will just have to cross our fingers......