Jambands.ca

I don't want to piss you off!

Deeps

I will be more than happy to get you off of it if it bothers you...I meant no harm...maybe I'm from another planet but it seemed reasonable to me that people who listen to the same sort of music that influences our band would want to know if there was a show in that ballpark style in their vicinity...if that doesn't work for you please feel free to respond and you will get out of the loop...no problemo...I understand that people get a lot of unsolicited emails...I do as well...but when I get them from bands it makes me smile...(I certainly don't get pissed off)...it reassures me that there are lots of people out there working hard to make good music...that is what I want to see...that is what I want to believe is happening in the world...

well put.

thanks.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Slammer,

You're a confused lad. Unconstructive criticism? SPAM is bad. - that's constructive. Why not POST about these shows like others do? Revenge is like serving cold cuts - Tony Soprano

------------------------------------------------

I make a monthly post our gigs...I don't want to post for every show...you don't want to go to some crap bar in Woodbridge do you...that's funny...I don't think that the posts are that effective anyways...and I guess the emails aren't either...like i've been saying and maybe you haven't read it...but wouldn't it be less trouble for you to get off of the list ("please remove" is not a lot of typing)than to criticize me in a public forum for spamming you...what would you rather do?

Frankly, I've lost track of who's emails are on my list that were so perniciously perloined from the secret archives of this forum (sarcasm due to the strees of resolving this issue) ...so if it's not too much trouble...please...I'll get down on my knees... I'm begging you please...Cecilia please come home...no hold on...what I meant to say is that agian...whoever wants off the list...please forgive my perceived trangression and if you get another email from me just respond with "please remove" in the subject...I will not be offended in the slightest...relieved is what I'll be...relieved...thanks again...I love you all...

Edited by Guest

oh...I didn't realize that this was happening again. I thought this was being brought up from 2 years ago.

If it is happening again, please don't harvest emails from this forum. I don't know how many times I've stated that purchasing a banner slot would solve your need to get the word out. People ACTUALLY click on banners and visit the website that they point too.

It's not intrusive, it helps the band and it helps this site.

07/15/05 08:46 PM - Post#245861

In response to slammer

slammer Said:

I will be more than happy to get you off of it if it bothers you...I meant no harm...maybe I'm from another planet but it seemed reasonable to me that people who listen to the same sort of music that influences our band would want to know if there was a show in that ballpark style in their vicinity...if that doesn't work for you please feel free to respond and you will get out of the loop...no problemo...I understand that people get a lot of unsolicited emails...I do as well...but when I get them from bands it makes me smile...(I certainly don't get pissed off)...it reassures me that there are lots of people out there working hard to make good music...that is what I want to see...that is what I want to believe is happening in the world...

well put.

thanks.

--------------------------------------------------

thanks!...Jim

Edited by Guest

I somehow got put on the Passenger/Chipotle e-mail list (presumably through stealing my e-mail off of this site) and was always somewhat confused when I got show updates in my e-mail. When I got fed up with getting yet another e-mail I had no interest in, I attempted to send a "please remove" e-mail to them. It took three e-mails to finally get removed from the list. I personally had no interest in receiving these e-mails, and it took more effort to get off the list than it did to delete them from my junk mail folder... All the whining and crying about thinking it was in people's best interest to receive unsolicited e-mails is absolutely ridiculous... If I wanted to go see a band, getting an unwanted e-mail sure as hell isn't going to get me to go... Why not get a website, have mp3s that I can listen to, and maybe buy a banner to get your name out. You claim people in the UK are interested in hearing Passenger? Maybe you should play a show or two outside of Woodbridge or Mississauga before you start bragging about interest in the UK... How many shows have you played in Ottawa? Toronto? Hamilton? These are your major Ontario markets, and if you can't get a gig there then maybe you aren't all that good. I've never heard one note of Passenger or Chipotle, but I'm sure as hell not going to go all the way to Woodbridge to check you out... Please quit stealing e-mails from this site for personal gain... It's not all about love, it's not all about hate, it's about good music... If your music is good, then regular means of promotion and putting on good shows will get your name out. Stealing e-mail addresses and getting offended when people get upset about it will do nothing but make you look like a bunch of assholes...

I'm still unclear. Is this happening now, or is this just from 2003. There's no need for a stink-up in this thread if this is water under the bridge (what the hell does that mean anyway?)

Deeps started a pretty interesting thread so let's not forget that.

Bouche

this sounds to me like people complaining about recent emails about gigs...obviously they didn't get off the list...now they are...if you read what I have wrote and you will get your answers....

Basher

we have a website with mp3s....do you heckle at shows?...whining and crying?...

i think you mistook the uk reference...i get unsolicited emails to come see shows from all over ...Denver, New york...whatever... I don't know how they got my email addy and I don't really care...I'm just glad people are making music...I don't have this spam/agenda/chip on my shoulder thing going...

I'd say check out the music before you go making suppositions on it's quality....

you're interpretation of what I wrote seems self-serving to your argument...I suggest you read more slowly...your anger is your own...

my participation with this message board has diminished...it seems that it will continue to do so... this type of thing brings me down and seems very diffcult to resolve...saps my energy...I prefer to maintain a positive attitude toward the world ...

please I will repeat...anyone who would like off of our email list... please ...you know the drill....Peace!

Edited by Guest

I will visit this message board much less often if it all...

Make sure the door hits your ass on the way out, you e-mail stealing spamming asshole! [color:purple]I'm sure everyone will miss getting unsolicited e-mails from a band they could care less about...

Found pic of slammer:

bb001340.jpg

Go back to Woodbridge where someone might actually care!

Basher

we have a website with mp3s....do you heckle at shows?...whining and crying?...

i think you mistook the uk reference...i get unsolicited emails to come see shows from all over ...Denver, New york...whatever... I don't know how they got my email addy and I don't really care...I'm just glad people are making music...I don't have this spam/agenda/chip on my shoulder thing going...

I'd say check out the music before you go making suppositions on it's quality....

you're interpretation of what I wrote seems self-serving to your argument...I suggest you read more slowly...your anger is your own...

Give credit where credit is due... I'm the one calling you a whiner... MAYBE IF YOU HADN'T STOLEN E-MAILS THIS WOULDN'T HAVE MATTERED... It was a chump move by a chump... Deal with it... Trust me, if you were any good I would have heard of it by now... The fact is, NOBODY I know has seen you, which is a pretty good indication of how much [color:purple]talent you have... Bye bye... I can almost guarantee no one will miss you... (If I ever end up on another e-mail list I will make it a mission to come to your show to Boo you at every opportunity I get...) Shameless promotion is one thing, what you did should be illegal...

you're right ..I'm wrong...I'm an asshole ... you guys are awesome!...you win...it's just that easy...I'm a big flailing loser and you guys are monarchs who's coronation is just round the corner...enjoy your kingdoms!

Edited by Guest

....an artist's temperament is a sensitive one and a difficult path to walk so discouraging words can create cynicism and impede creativity...is that what people want?

I have not been apart of this nice discussion, but this above quote has forced my hand to join in.

I'm an autoworker and I do my job to the best of my ability. So I would say that I'm a good autoworker, not that it is hard.

If someone came up to me and said you suck as an autoworker, I would laugh at them and say they are wrong.

If some people came up to Bob Dylan and said you suck as a musician, I'm sure Bob Dylan would laugh and think to himself they are wrong.

What I'm rambling on about is, if you're an artist then a few "discouraging words" from some people on a messageboard or anywhere else for that matter, shouldn't "create cynicism and impede creativity."

You are what you are, and if that is a musician then sooner or later your time will come. If it doesn't then you weren't much of a musician were you?

I'm a big believer that if someone out there is as talented as say, Robert Johnson or Woody Guthrie or Johnny Cash or Miles Davis or Marvin Gaye or Mick Jagger or Joni Mitchell or Keith Moon or Bruce Springsteen or Patti Smith or Michael Stipe or Thom Yorke or Jeff Tweedy, well you get the picture... Sooner or later some people, maybe even a lot of people, will hear about them and know what songs they sing and what albums they have done.

Possibly a lot of people told them they sucked at one point or another, but it probably didn't "impede" their creativity as evidence to the wealth of music the aforementioned artists have compiled.

I've seen Passenger, and they are pretty good, enjoyed their tunes, had a good night---far better musicians than I will ever be.

Whether or not Passenger are any good isn't really the point. Harvesting email addresses from the board members' profiles in order to send out advertising is a shitty thing to do. Saying that all you have to do is write to him (Slammer) and he'll take you off the list is completely pathetic, and ass-backwards.

What's even more pathetic is that Slammer doesn't seem to GET it. This is the second go-round of this argument - go check MarcO's post for a link to the original thread from about two years ago. The board members mostly reacted the same way, Slammer gave the same lame excuses, and Mike told him not to do it anymore - a request that he clearly ignored.

Also, why can't Slammer learn to use the quote boxes properly? It sure makes trying to read his responses to other people 's statements rather difficult.

Verdict? The guy's a tool. I wouldn't go see Passenger for free if they were playing right across the street from my apartment - regardless of their abilities - because I'll always think of Passenger as the band with the annoying and stupid guy who constantly sent spam to everyone and continued to do so long after people indicated that his behaviour was unacceptable. (Wow, what a long sentence.)

first, in response to Hamilton, I see your point, there are better ways to advertise on here and if people have specifically asked to not receive emails, and if they did not ask to receive emails, it should not be their responsibility to stop them.

And my response to Timmy B is U2 sucks!!!

kidding---I couldn't help myself.