Jambands.ca

Miss Universe is a Jackass I guess

Deeps

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

funnily enough Brian is the only person involved in this thread that actually did get work done today.

I love everyone. Let's all have sex!

Nice, let's all go down to Nathan Phillips Square and have a love in.

I'll be the one in the sash!

Deeps

My belly button was out there for the world to see, with my four-month pregnancy sticking out right behind it.

Tell me I'm not beautiful. I dare ya.

I like the tummy. Then again, I think I may have had something to do with the tummy.

I rub it for luck... I'm expecting it to rub back soon.

Please.

:)

Good call. We can have a boytitties contest at the same time.

hardly fair to the others sweetie...you ALWAYS win!

I love that ad, for I can't remember what, with a shot of a chest with arms across it and the caption, "Now, I finally have the breasts I've always wanted... unfortunately, they're on my husband."

:D

Good call. We can have a boytitties contest at the same time.

hardly fair to the others sweetie...you ALWAYS win!

I love that ad' date=' for I can't remember what, with a shot of a chest with arms across it and the caption, "Now, I finally have the breasts I've always wanted... unfortunately, they're on my husband."

:D

[/quote']

UGGH!!! Bad visual image... bad... must go wash out brain with Javex... uggh.

Right from page one:

"I think it's alright that we reserve the city hall area for events that don't allow stupid beauty contests to have a voice.

I am for this brand o censorship especially considering the regression sexuality is taking in the media these days."

I am merely expressing why I am against such censorship. I find the value judgement that beauty pageants are "stupid", without any reasoning given, to be a specious and subjective reason for censorship. It's a good idea to take the time to give some kind of reasoning for your strongly held position before asking the same of others in a written debate.

It is my opinion that, too often, censorship arguments are backed up by reasoning that ultimately amounts to personal feelings with little or no regard for the opinions for those being "protected." It can be summed up by saying "I don't like it, so you can't have it." (Prohibition was a stunning example of this.) I find that offensive, as a general rule.

I find it interesting that people are taking my opinion so personally.

I find the speculation interesting that somehow "men" might have made me this way (whatever "this way" is):

Did we (all men), (all people), do this? or are you referring to societal pressures and ideals?

When has this come into play for you in your life time?....examples would help.

This is about freedom of opinion and expression, the right to live without prejudice, and the right to equal treatment under the law. Nothing more. My life experiences don't come into it, except that my parents always taught me to treat everyone the same. (Everything I ever needed to know about life, I learned in kindergarten?) The speculation that this position might be attributable to the actions of men is ... odd to me. I find this quick speculation of gender bias quite peculiar. As a societal question, I have to ask: Is it really so odd that a woman can take such a stand based on her own reasoning and volition, without having been moulded into it by anything more than sensible parenting?

As for the "stupid people" thing, it refers to two things. One is this remark:

I think you misunderstand my subject title...I wasn't saying that people in this board need to smarten up or anything of that nature and as a matter of fact I know full fu©king well that the majority of people around here no better than to act like idiots.

I misconstrued the meaning because of the typo ("no" versus "know") and I didn't wade back through several pages of the discussion while typing my response. I'm normally pretty good about dealing with typos since I make them myself. Mea culpa.

It also refers to the narcisstic tendency that "morally superior folk" have of dismissing dissenting opinion with a sweep of "you can't possibly know what you're talking about." It's bad enough when we hear this as children, but some folks seem compelled to exercise the same high-handedness to adults. My opinion, and it's a general one unless specified.

Me, I wouldn't presume to know if that woman is a jackass. I do think that Jessica Simpson comes across as an idiot, though.

I like the tummy. Then again, I think I may have had something to do with the tummy.

I rub it for luck... I'm expecting it to rub back soon.

Please.

It's nice to feel wanted. We all like to feel wanted. Well, except when it involves pictures at the post office.

I feel like the Buddha.

the air's better in Toronto... I don't know what David Miller did, but I congratulate him 100%

:)

~W

you don't know? Well, it's obvious he logged on here and read our disgust and moral outrage and took some ACTION!

Damn straight! We're changing the world with our discussions on here, nobody delude themselves! ;););)

Edited by Guest
oh sh!t -- forgot my winky smiley guy!

nobody delude themselves!

Let me be the first to say that the human species ultimately amounts to little more than a civilization of lobsters living at the bottom of a Sea of Air... :)

Lobsters with Sashes... so atleast it's colourful ;)

whitney-hairbow-lobster%20copy.gif

PS... better be nobody insulting Lobsters in response to this statement... I'm very sensitive.

Let me be the first to say that the human species ultimately amounts to little more than a civilization of lobsters living at the bottom of a Sea of Air... :)

I always thought we were this squishy organism that worked hard extracting material off the Earth's crust to use it for a cosmic blip of time before converting it irrevocably to toxic waste. Some get to wear sashes, but only if they're judged squishy in some arbitrarily precise way.

Not to be a party crasher but I'm in agreement with what Arcane is saying, back on page one where I asked why a bunch of guys were discussing this issue of women's rights and subsequently labelled Deeps righteous for drawing his own conclusion that women somehow need us as men to protect those rights, and that a participant in a beauty pageant is a jackass and has her head screwed onto her ass.

Essentially calling a woman stupid for doing so seems more offensive and archaic than a public appearance from a celebrity, whether or not you think Miss Universe is doing valuable work. Our society values figureheads that aren't worth their weight in manure and make Natalie look like Mother Theresa: I'm thinking Jessica Simpson, Kid Rock, Tom Fucking cruise, even George W. Bush. Because at least Natalie had to win a worldwide contest!

Recall also that this same bylaw that you claim protects people from harm was used to ban the barenaked ladies from performing because...shock and awe!...their name was offensive. This is mentioned in the CBC article you cited but not surprisingly it hasn't been brought up here.

Getting back to what I was saying before, I have a decidedly optimistic view of gender equality in this country and world, and think we're getting close to a state of equilibrium where a women's voice can be heard and valued equally. Or a women who espouses a dumb opinion can be called dumb for that reason.

Even more important than my opinion is that as a man I don't feel qualified to provide a conclusive answer to a longstanding issue that involves more than a beauty pageant

Last but not least I'd like to know whether in someone's utopia men become eunuchs and women become frigid? In a perfect world could we only value our respective other's intellect and be crippled in acknowledging a women's sexual attractiveness, or our boyfriend's big dick to our girlfriends (paraphrasing of course)?

I'm definitely not in favour of the type of feminism that tries to whitewash human sexuality and urge the same sort of supression that the Catholic Church demands of its clergy...it's unnatural and with tolerance and respect as a core background I think we should feel empowered and open to saying that yes, women are physically beautiful creatures. Why should we feel bad for saying that?

Even more important than my opinion is that as a man I don't feel qualified to provide a conclusive answer to a longstanding issue that involves more than a beauty pageant

That's my angle too. Until a man lives not even just a day but a life as a woman, a gay man, dyke, trannie, etc. (and that's just gender), there can be no decisive authority behind what he says. Unfortunately, I just can't shut the hell up, so I always hope the women I know can be patient with me.

I keep mulling over a line I recently read Joni Mitchell using, reflecting on her own (attenuated) love life as she enters her latter decades - "Women are protected by law before they're 18, and protected by nature when they're over 60." I was struck by how relieved she said she felt now that she was on the other side of it all, and could get down to the rest of the business of living. I guess men just have to wait unti they get too senile.

And yet it would be so dull to live in an ungendered world. Vive la difference, and all that.

i'm wondering where Hamilton went...as i know he is not one to back down....

No, you're right - I don't back down. But I was at work all day, and I don't have internet access there.

At this point, I have nothing left to contribute to the discussion. MarcO, AD, Polkaroo and a few others have managed to already state anything that I might have said in response to many different posts in this thread, so I'll just let the issue stand.

And I don't think I'm a "nice guy", I think I'm an "asshole".