Jambands.ca

thoughts on hillside...

timouse

so we got in last night from a weekend at the hillside festival, and i'm still not entirely sure what i thought of the whole thing. There were some stellar moments, just like in past years, but they seemed fewer & further between and all seemed to revolve around Kevin Breit...anyone who plays circus music on stage is ok in my books :) and as usual, the people were awesome. it was very nice to share our space in "mellowvale" with mr slippery, large marge, and sorry beth i forgot your cyberspace name :)

The main stage big acts seemed to be a little incongruous with past hillside lineups...and the crowd was huuuuge! We found a lot of the main stage headliner bands to be less than the sum of their collective hype...

in the words of grandpa simpson, "I used to be with it. now what i'm with isn't it, and what's it is weird and scary. it'll happen to you too..."

having said that, calamity jane and i stood in line for 2 hours sunday morning to score a campsite for next year, so we obviously liked it well enough...

how about the rest of you folks?

it was my first hillside and i don't think it lived up to the hype. sets were too short, there was a lot of bleeding going on between stages, the whole island seemed very cramped, and the whole 'getting to the island and getting off the island' scene was stupid. why let cars onto the causeway when there are 5000 people walking on it?

all that said, the vibe was excellent, the artists were all very happy to be there and could be seen mingling all weekend, there were some good suprises, lots and lots of wicked music, and the food was fantastic and cheap.

broken social scene played the best set of the weekend for me. buck 65's spoken word set was second favourite.

oh yeah, they should invest in some bigger tents with higher roofs so people stuck outside can still see what's going on. from everything i've read the crowds were waay bigger than in previous years, so perhaps this wasn't an issue before.

ad

Well, I am back from Hillside, and all I can say is wow. Truly a well organized event with a vibe I have never before witnessed at a festival.

Being my first time at the event, I decided to jump in full throttle and be a volunteer. Not only did I recieve complimentery hospitality and free access to the entire weekend, not to mention that much sought after volunteer/island camping area, I also met some truly wonderful people.

Aside from the fact that I was running bar and therefore missed some cool bands I also did see some bands that I would never have thought to have seen.

The genius who thought to mix up performers on the smaller stages or improv/jam sessions is due many thanks. These "workshops" as they were called were the proof that music can move all borders. One of my weekend faves was A french-Can. band called Les Batinses and an Australian Punjab band called Dya Singh!! Holy Shit! wow!

Also, the idea of a green event where all food vendors are to use reusable dishes all weekend should be a template for other festivals.

Also, The Spoken Word performers at the Sun Stage...very close and kindred friends of mine...You are all amazing people with extreme gifts! I'm glad I got be part of your workshop/performance/life..Amitofo...

Sorry for my rant that was so long but..next year everyone should go...don't miss out on this event! Get involved and get in the spirit.

Thanks to everyone I got to meet, jam, drink, and dance with!! I am still high of the energy of this truly memorable weekend!

Love and sunshine...Natalie

Glad to have met you, Nathalie, if only for a moment.

Hillside is a terrifically unique place, and I'm glad you got a good taste of it.

The nice thing about it is that, despite the sound bleeding (the tabla player at one workshop near the Main Stage gave up at one point and just started playing along with the groove that had become impossible to ignore), there is always the opportunity to pick up and move to another stage, where there will be something to satisfy the musical soul. Try as I might, I just couldn't click with Arcade Fire Saturday night (I know, heretic), but found a killer jam over at the Lake Stage that kept my feet a-movin'.

Very nice also to be able to treat the kids to this kind of scene, too (memorable moments - Cassia hitting up Kevin Breit for $.20 for her swear jar for something he'd come out with on stage Friday night - and dancing herself silly at the Sisters show on Sunday). Many thanks to Mr. Slippery, Large Marge, and Flymykitehigh (and, of course, tim- and niffer-mouse, and Iliana) for making their weekend as well.

Did anybody else, though, think that it's gotten a bit too big? Is there an alternative to bigger-bigger-bigger (I mean, besides just going to other festivals)?

Cassia's been making a killing since we put this in place. And yes, Breit did cough it up (his kids being there too I'm sure didn't hurt ;) ).

And Booche - we have also looked into a debit system. Who knows, it might turn her into the next Sheila Frazer.

i'm currently running a tab with Cassia, and i expect that it's grown to the size of a third world economy :)

and that's what i was racking my brain for...thank you flymykitehigh for being part of a great weekend! and very nice to cross paths with tribalstar and maxwebster at the very end...

that was fun.

totally different vibe from other fests, and very beautiful because of that.

new friends - always fun. timouse, niffermouse, ilyana (sp?), a blast to meetcha and share a site with you. lots and lots o fun, see you next year,methinks.dr evilmouse and calamity jane, a pleasure as always, and a delight to meet the girls, some truly wonderful kids youve got there. zero, nice to see you out again, its been a while. perhaps not so long till the next time, hmmm?

new bands - i dont think i had actually realized until they had started that i dont think i have ever seen broken social scene before. i was totally captivated with emily haines, and the way that her voice interacted with (forgive me if i get the names of the other vocalists wrong) amy and kevin was simply wonderful. great harmonies, but not predictable at all.

the arcade fire were also fantastic, i thought that the stars was a bit disappointing, perhaps because i had built em up too high with anticipation, and Potholes Along The 401 was one of the greatest things ever.

im sleepy, gotta go.

bye

I had a really good time overall and saw lots of acts I may have overlooked under different circumstances. Considering I usually end up at big hippy drug-fests (and maybe don't listen to many non-jambands) I was very impressed with the location, the music and the folks involved.

I'd certainly go again next year if the line-up was solid (especially if some kind person gets me in for free again, and camped on the performers island, no less).

i thought that the stars was a bit disappointing, perhaps because i had built em up too high with anticipation

May I ask what was specifically disappointing? A few of the Ottawa kids didn't care for them either, while I was absolutely blown away by them when they played Bluesfest...

i thought that the stars was a bit disappointing' date=' perhaps because i had built em up too high with anticipation[/quote']

May I ask what was specifically disappointing? A few of the Ottawa kids didn't care for them either, while I was absolutely blown away by them when they played Bluesfest...

i love the disc, i love the songs on it.

i was bored for most of the set.

didnt seem like there was a whole lot of energy in their playing.

realistically, it was months of "wow, i cant wait to see the arcade fire and the stars", perhaps i just overhyped it to myself. put on the discwhen i got in late last night though, fixed everything.

i will see them again, the disc is too good not to warrant a second chance.

realistically, it was months of "wow, i cant wait to see the arcade fire and the stars", perhaps i just overhyped it to myself.

I think I did the same thing for when Umphrey's played Bluesfest... I was really quite interested to hear them live, yet after seeing them I was really quite underwhelmed... I'd like to see a full show before I pass final judgement on Umphrey's, but as it stands they get a big "meh" from me...

Ah yes, another beautiful Ontario weekend... relaxing with the FlymyKite at Mr. Slippery's cottage (thank you!!!) and then cruising in to the Tim and Niffer mouse pre-booked site (thank you!!!) to chill with Dr. Evil Mouse, Calamity Jane & fam and of course the lovely Iliana. I LOVE this community!

I dug the Stars set, but I was virgin. May as well have called it Hillside Arts and Crafts this year and I agree that it was just a smidgen over-subscribed… not enough beer!!! Definitely one of my favorite festivals though as far as production and planning… a real family affair.

Cheers Kids!

Interesting.....just like any festival....you get some who loved it, some who didn't and all points in between.

Was just reading the local paper here in St John's today and there was an article on Hillside...praising it, the acts, how it's home grown with no corporate sponsors etc. The only negative it had were that people who loved the small intimate festival it has been in years past don't necessarily like how it's growing.

Interesting.....just like any festival....you get some who loved it, some who didn't and all points in between.

Was just reading the local paper here in St John's today and there was an article on Hillside...praising it, the acts, how it's home grown with no corporate sponsors etc. The only negative it had were that people who loved the small intimate festival it has been in years past don't necessarily like how it's growing.

there was a survey in the guide book that asked a lot of leading questions on exactly those sort of issues...is it important to have veggie/vegan food, is it important to not have big corporate sponsorship, that sort of thing.

for all the folks that went, if you missed the survey, drop them a line at hillside@hillside.on.ca and let them know what you liked and disliked. no guarantee that it will be read or acted on, but at least you've said your piece.

all in all a totally cool weekend, that kevin breit is a class act, and hillside rocks :)

That article was bang-on then Babsy!

The original Hillside intentions are still there (eco-sustainable, non-crap producing, family-friendly festival), but it does keep growing in numbers and getting more crowded. Luckliy though, they're constricted by the size of the island and simply can't grow bigger than this year. (For the record: approx. 1000 volunteers; 500 performers/vendors/workshop presenters and associated hangers-on; and 3500 patrons.)

To echo some posts above, it is an AMAZING feat of organization to provide a weekend of such diverse fun for all ages, providing yummy (mostly veg) food on re-usable plastic dishes.

In fact, for those looking to volunteer next year, the dishwashing crew is the one to fill up last -- but the bonus is that the dishwashing station is set up beside the main stage so you get to hear it ALL! Actually, now that I think about it, the parking crew is the suckiest -- take it only as a last ditch effort -- you're often alone in a field full of cars under a hot blazing sun (or torrential skies) with nary a speck of shade/cover!

But I'd have to say the sweetest deal (aside from playing a gig there) is to be a workshop presenter. For 2 hours of my time I get a wknd pass, free camping, as well as fed & watered all weekend in the hospitality tent. (fruit, snacks, juice, coffee & water on the go day and night and 3 full, hot delicious veg meals over the course of the weekend. Can't beat it!

'Round about Feb/Mar next year, check their website for info on applying as musicians, vendors, workshop presenters or volunteers.

www.hillside.on.ca

I had a great time this weekend even though I had to come and go for work on Saturday....Friday the workshop between the Quebecois band and Dya Singh was great stuff, took awhile to get going but really gelled after awhile...Weakerthans were...well, weaker than.

Arcade Fire was a definite highlight for me-really mesmerizing show that was full o'conviction. Stars were good and rocking - but nothing spectacular...

Sunday daytime nothing really grabbed me-drifted between a few stages, hurting a bit from the night before, went into town to take the dog for a run and headed back for the evening...which was a bit of a jumble. John and the Sisters kicked some serious ass - what a great vocalist to complement Kevin Breit and crew....I missed his workshops so I needed to catch this bunch....jumped out a couple songs early to head over to BSS, which was quite spectacular and ever-evolving, caught a handful of songs from up close and far away, but cut it short to head back over to check out Nathan Cole and catch up with some friends...Since Nathan Cole got his band together I can't get enough - amazing songwriting with a honest voice and a rocking band...Don Kerr(Rheos) is producing his debut album and I got a sneak peek...it's phenomenal...definitely one to watch out for as he's just going to take off at some point.

Meandered back to the main stage to check out Sam Roberts, he did rock the place quite hard...felt like Canada's AC/DC a couple times with the straight up drummer pounding away and the guitarist on the speaker stacks...but the re-appearance of a wasted K-OS and his subsequent 4 line 'freestyle', coupled with an attempted 'get the locals involved' drum circle section for his big tune took a lot away for sure.

Partying down with Scottie K and Diane Saturday night, multiple run-ins with KevO, AD, Marge, Dave/Deb(can't remember which mouse you are Dave...)So many friends of mine from town and beyond were there...good times....

Excellent weekend as per usual.

Calamity was that you who said hi by the women's tent and then walked away leaving my drug-addled brain confused? Must've been. And Tim I must've beens tanding right next to you in line for sites on Sunday...worst two hours of my life but rewarding in the end.

Musical Highlights:

1. Dya Singh/Les Batinses on Friday night. Outstanding and probably most spiritually uplifting workshop of the weekend.

2. The saturday morning workshop with Cuff The Duke, Luke Doucet and members of the Supers. Doucet's daughter (who was what, maybe 5 or 6) singing along with his beautiful guitar playing made my coffee taste that much better.

3. Buck's set. The man is brilliant and his wife adds femininity and beauty to his show.

4. Apostle of Hustle: While I do love most of the Arts and Crafts people the Apostle of Hustle seems freshest and most intriguing right now. I enjoyed all the other sets (Stars, BSS, etc) but I had my fill during bluesfest. K-Os was amusing.

Non-Musical Highlights:

Sausages and Corn

Blazing a huge campfire

Riding a vespa around the grounds

Finding plenty of reasons to cite "spirit of hillside" when explaining someone's behaviour (good or bad).

Seeing people that I only see once a year

All in all it's a great festival, it has certainly grown in size but all the key elements are still there: sustainability, creativity and an overwhelmingly positive attitude from volunteers, sartists and attendees.