Jambands.ca

Rock Stars On Drugs!!!!

MarcO

My first ever concert was Guns N Roses at Copps Coliseum in Hamilton. (The Brian May Band opened). Towards the end of GNR's set, someone hucked a water bottle at Axl and hit him. Axl got pissed off, extended his arm and gave the entire crowd the finger -- fanning it across the entire crowd from left to right -- then left the stage for good mid-song. Slash did an extended solo while lying on his back on top of an amp or monitor or something, then they were done.

About 2 years later the Hamilton Spectator had an interview with Slash, where they asked about the Hamilton incident and wether or not it would stop GNR from coming back to Hamilton again. Slash had no idea what they were talking about. :)

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This one would be tough to top:

In 1987, after a night on the Sunset Strip with some of his Guns N' Roses' pals, Motley Crue bassist Nikki Sixx and company check into the Franklin Plaza Hotel and invite a local smack dealer to the party. After getting shot up with a lethal dose of Persian heroin, Sixx starts turning blue. Steven Adler from G N' R pounds on his chest and splashes him with cold water. By the time paramedics arrive on the scene,

Sixx is pronounced dead. He's dragged to the hospital with a sheet over his head, but a double-dose of adrenaline unexpectedly kicks him back to life. But instead of lying around the hospital waiting for a full recovery, Sixx checks himself out, hitchhikes home, and shoots up again before going to bed.

I've heard stories of Ozzy partying with the motley crue boys and them daring each other to do shit....eventually (according to the stories) Ozzy bent down to the sidewalk and snorted some ants.

Hardcore.

ah yes, but the rest of the story goes that Ozzy whipped out his Osbourne and pissed on the ground, daring the Motley Crue guys to snort that too. Being even too gross for the Crue, they decline, so Ozzy just snorts it himself.

The Motley Crue book, called "The Dirt", will surely enter the canon of classic American non-fiction. It is awesome. They were horrible horrible men and really should be dead ten times over. God bless them.

Case in point: in the early days of the Crue, they would gig at the Whiskey-A-Go-Go in LA and then wind down by banging chicks in Tommy Lee's shaggin wagon, basically a travelling bedroom. However, they inexpicably had girlfriends - someone to feed them I suppose - and, not wanting to arouse any suspicion, they would stop by a Taco Bell on Sunset Strip on the way home and order egg burritos. They would then bite the ends off the burrito and insert their smelly wangs into the sandwich, theorizing that the smell of an egg burrito would cover the smell of the women they had plundered over the course of the evening.

That really isn't a drug story but let's just assume lots of drugs were consumed in the course of all this going down.

[color:purple]I heard that Jerry Gracia once played an entire show while perfectly sober.

[color:purple]I heard that Low_Roller once wrote an entire post without making a typo.

Gracias,

Brad

Edited by Guest
Fully quote LR's post.

Since I have been listening to loads of Deep Purple these days, here is a bit of a grim one from their history. Traditonally, they were more boozers or tokers than hard drug users, but the Mark 4 lineup basically fell apart from bassist Glenn Hughes' cocaine addiction and guitarist Tommy Bolin's involvement with heroin. One of the cappers was on a tour of Japan, where Bolin basically got off the plane having shot up some bad heroin, and found his left arm was basically paralyzed. He played a show or two where he was basically useless apart for some rudimentary riffing ... and these shows were actually recorded and released! (The Last Concert In Japan album is interesting if you want to hear what Deep Purple would sound like without a guitar player, but that's it ... a much better choice to hear live Mark 4 Purple is the On The Wings Of A Russian Foxbat archival release). Tommy Bolin wouln't live much more than a year after that, OD at 24, a tragic end to a hugely talented player.

While we are trotting out Keith Moon stories, let's not forget the time he took some sort of monkey tranquilizers or something before a gig, and his arms wouldn't work ... they ended up pulling somebody out of the audience to play with them.

RnB

While we are trotting out Keith Moon stories, let's not forget the time he took some sort of monkey tranquilizers or something before a gig, and his arms wouldn't work ... they ended up pulling somebody out of the audience to play with them.

RnB

Keith took some powerful horse tranquilizers, not knowing or caring what he was ingesting, and collapsed off of his stool after the first song and a half at The Cow Place ( I believe ) in San Fran. Moon was taken to the hospital and the drugs " only " paralyzed him... for many many hours.

Don't forget the story where Keith got behind the wheel of his Bentley in an attempt to flee from angry punks and accidently drove over the head of his chauffer ( and best friend ). That was the first and last time Moon ever attempted to drive for himself. He was never the same again, and from that point, biographer Tony Fletcher believes that Keith's life spiralled out of control into sadness, leading to self-destructive drug addiction.

Moon and his driver/friend/bodyguard Neil Boland, were surrounded by skinheads in 1970. Boland got out of the car to protect Moon. The skinheads started beating on Boland, then Moon, drunk, tried to " rescue " his friend. He got behind the wheel of the car ( for the first time ever ), and accidently drove over his head. Actually, the chauffer almost made it, but he unfortuantely got snagged on something and was dragged by the car, until his head went under the wheels. There are accounts that the skinheads shoved Boland or pressed him against the car.

Anyway, Moon was never charged, but he was never the same and blamed himself for Boland's death until the day Moonie died.

Edited by Guest

Of course there's the famous story of Moon's car being found at the bottom of a swimming pool.

He used to drive around in his Bentley blasting Beach Boys tunes through his custom stereo - with a built-in turntable. But... the speakers faced out from the car. Freaking hilarious.

I went to see Shane McGowan & The Popes two years ago at Lee's Palace. The opening band played and played and played. Then sometime near midnight, the MC informed the crowd that Shane was in the hospital and would not be performing: He collapsed but would be fine. Fuck-off! But " thankfully ", the Popes came and played a free show. Fuck off! The only reason to see The Popes is because Shane is their leader. The Pope's ain't no Pogues.

Shane may be the only guy that could hold his own with Moon in the drinking department... but not in the lunacy department.

Blue Floyd @ the comfort zone

I run into Duane Betts outside after the show. Duane says "do you know where I can get some Opium?" I say "no sorry". Duane replies "come on, this *is* China town isn't it???"

Apparently at the same show Marc Ford et. all were doing many lines backstage...

Nothing too crazy, but funny none the less.

When I was at the NXNE festival at the Phoenix last year, ex-Lemonheads Evan Dando acted like a bizarre, scarecrow looking freak while singing with the re-formed MC5. He got heckled by the audience and MC5 band members were getting increasingly pissed at his antics. There's no way he's clean.

Blue Floyd @ the comfort zone

I run into Duane Betts outside after the show. Duane says "do you know where I can get some Opium?" I say "no sorry". Duane replies "come on, this *is* China town isn't it???"

It's refreshing that Duane Betts takes after his two namesakes.