Jambands.ca

Go Sens Go - Fan Forum

rubberdinghy

i know you can't expect ottawa fans to be as devoted as habs or leafs fans. it is lawnchair city, after all ;)

I know a few Habs fans that are just as fickle, especially during that run where they weren't in the playoffs for a while.

5000 fans showed up to the airport yesterday to welcome the boys home. I don't think you can question Sens fans devotion.

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i still think alfie was the best player in the playoffs.

While that may or may not be true' date=' it doesnt mean he was the most valuable.[/quote']

let me re-phrase: I still think Alfie was the most valuable player in the playoffs, Goat Man incident and all.

Neidermayer played tons of minutes every game and against the opponents top lines as much as possible, not too mention having to deal with Pronger suspended twice and his number one goalie missing a couple of games. They also won the Stanley Cup.

Its obvious to me who was more important to their team.

You'll still get to see the Cup this summer. Check out what O'Donnell had to say:

“I'm sorry it wasn't your year this year, but it was a heck of a team. I had friends that flew in for games three and four and they were amazed with the energy on Elgin Street and in the rink. So I think the people of Ottawa should be really proud of their team. Get the party ready for sometime in July or early August or whenever it's going to be, Kanata, get ready!"- Sean O’Donnell - CBC

and more ... here are some more detailed plans for the Cup's visit to Kanata:

As if the crushed players, and fans, of the Ottawa Senators didn't need one more bitter twist of the hockey knife, consider this looming truth: The most-revered trophy in professional sports, the Stanley Cup, will be coming to Ottawa this summer after all.

But only in the taunting form of a day-trip. All members of the newly minted Stanley Cup champion Ducks gained the privilege of getting to spend 24 hours with the iconic treasure this summer. And so, when asked about his plans for the Cup, this was the first word from Ducks defenseman Sean O'Donnell: "Ottawa."

He grew up in nearby Kanata, Canada, which happens to be the location of the Senators' home rink, and unlike many of his perhaps superstitious teammates, had some semblance of a plan for his date with Stanley.

The Stanley Cup, apparently, will be one big dog dish again, serving up kibbles for his 10-year-old dog, Buddy, a black Labrador who is missing a right front leg because of cancer.

"We'll get a picture of him doing that," O'Donnell said.

Hey, if it was good enough for the New York Islanders' Clark Gillies and his dog in 1980 at the start of their legendary dynastic run, why not for an animal who has beaten the tough odds given to him by doctors in January 2006?"

Every kid always imagines what he would do," O'Donnell said. "I'll probably go back to Kanata and have some close friends in the backyard for a couple of hours in the afternoon and do something at nighttime for one of the coaches I played for. There's so many people."

... And bring it back to the house till the sun comes up."

Edited by Guest

Senators’ Schubert, brawler break window Bank Street scuffle causes minor injuries

Andrew Seymour, Ottawa Citizen

Published: Thursday, June 14, 2007

Ottawa Senators player Christoph Schubert is the subject of a police investigation after an altercation on Bank Street earlier this week.

Ottawa police launched the investigation after Mr. Schubert and another man suffered minor injuries as they crashed through a window following a brief scuffle on Bank Street somewhere between Somerset and Gladstone at about 2 a.m. Monday.

According to police sources, it appears Mr. Schubert had been in an argument with his girlfriend when another man intervened, leading to the confrontation.

No criminal charges have been laid against either man, police said. No other players were involved in the incident.

Thursday, Mr. Schubert's agent, Richard Curran, said the investigation is of "no concern" to his client, who was trying to defend himself after the other man threw a punch at him.

"The guy was being a big shot and took a poke at him and so he gave him a poke back," said Mr. Curran, adding the two men "kind of wrestled a little bit and ended up going through a window."

Mr. Curran said Mr. Schubert was having a "discussion" - not an argument - with his girlfriend when the man "started to swing" and tried to rip the hockey player's shirt off.

"The guy just came and butted in. It was none of his business," said Mr. Curran.

Mr. Schubert suffered minor cuts to his elbows and arms that required a few stitches, Mr. Curran said. Mr. Schubert, 25, took himself to the Queensway Carleton Hospital for treatment.

It's believed the other man suffered only minor cuts and scrapes as a result of the fall through the window.

Mr. Curran, who was able to reach Mr. Schubert by cellphone, said he was travelling with his girlfriend and was not available for comment.

Mr. Curran, although unaware of the incident until contacted by the Citizen Thursday, said he doesn't expect the incident will result in criminal charges.

He also doesn't expect it will affect his client's ability to get a new contract.

A restricted free agent, Mr. Schubert is widely expected to be re-signed by the Senators after earning only $525,000 this past season.

"(Mr. Schubert) doesn't even consider it to be an issue," said Mr. Curran.

Ottawa Senators spokesman Phil Legault said the team's director of player services became aware of the incident earlier this week.

"The club is aware of the circumstances involving a personal incident involving defenceman Christoph Schubert," said Mr. Legault. "We trust that Christoph will address the issues to the satisfaction of the authorities."

Mr. Legault could not say whether the incident could result in disciplinary action by the team or affect contract negotiations. Both general manager John Muckler and president Roy Mlakar were travelling and not available for comment, he said.

Mr. Curran called the incident "unfortunate," but a reality for NHL players.

"They go through this stuff all the time. Anyone who wants to be a tough guy decides to take on one of the Senators or the Leafs or whoever the hell else it is," said Mr. Curran, adding if he got a call every time a player was challenged by someone outside a bar his phone would be "ringing off the wall."

One of the team's most versatile players, the 6-foot-2 and 210-pound Mr. Schubert played a utility role that had him bouncing between forward and defence this season, depending on the team's needs.

GERBER GOING?: While searching for a coach will be one of Murray's top priorities, he will also try to deal G Martin Gerber before Friday's draft. It's believed before Muckler was fired, he was in talks with the Coyotes and Kings about a deal involving Gerber. The belief is the Coyotes are demanding that the Senators take D Derek Morris and his $3.9-million price tag for next season. That could be tough for the Senators to swallow, but nobody is going to eat the $7.4 million and two years left on Gerber's contract without dumping some salary, too.

SAPRYKIN BACK?: Murray got a bit of a surprise on his first day on the job. An NHL source told the Sun that Muckler gave W Oleg Saprykin a $1.064-million qualifying offer just before being replaced. Acquired at the trade deadline for a second-round draft pick, Saprykin, a restricted free agent, will be back with the Senators unless Murray can trade him this summer. Murray likely doesn't want the fourth-liner, but can't pull the offer from the table because all Saprykin has to do is sign the contract and send it back to lock the Senators in for next year. Saprykin would be overpriced for the role he'd play in Ottawa. Under normal circumstances, qualifying offers aren't sent out until the last week of June. If Saprykin hadn't received an offer from the Senators, he would have become an unrestricted free agent.

AROUND THE BOARDS: The Senators are expected to announce they've signed C Dean McAmmond to a two-year deal in the next couple of days. He'll make $900,000 next season and $950,000 in 2008-09. That's a nice raise from the $725,000 he made last year. McAmmond was scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent and made it clear he wanted to stay ... Murray arrived in town yesterday and he'll spend a couple of days meeting with top scout Frank Jay and the rest of the staff. "I'm going to let them do their work and I will just fill them in on my philosophy," said Murray.

Before being fired on Friday, not only had Muckler agreed to a two-year deal with centre Dean McAmmond and sent winger Oleg Saprykin a qualifying offer, he also came to terms on a two-year deal with little-used defenceman Lawrence Nycholat.

Who the fuck is that?