Jambands.ca

Go Sens Go - Fan Forum

rubberdinghy

Kev, looking forward to your examples of how Alfie is a cheap shot artist.

Also wondering how you're blaming everything on one player. There are a lot of reasons why the Sens lost the last game - first period drought, Phillips' skate blade on the winner, etc etc... You pick one incident and call it a series. Interesting.

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

got this from another board

Let's run down the list for Alfie, shall we?

Alfredsson hit's Tucker from behind into the boards in 2002 scores winner, seperates Tucker's shoulder.

Alfredsson high sticks Keith Primeau of the Flyers in the 2003 playoffs claims to not remember the incident.

Alfredsson mocks Sundin by fake throwing a stick into the crowd in 2004.

Alfredsson fakes like he is going to tomahawk Tie Domi with his hockey stick in a regular season game in 2006.

Alfredsson gets blown past in OT by Jason Pominville who scores and eliminates the Sens in 2006.

Alfredsson hits Tallinder from behind into the boards face first, sending Tallinder to the room in 2007.

And now, Alfredsson intentionally slap shots a puck and hits star Ducks defenceman Scott Niedermayer at the end of a period in 2007.

Am I missing anything folks? His history speaks for itself. Even Brett Hull and Don Cherry on NBC said they have lost respect for Daniel Alfredsson after that stunt.

That is a really pathetic list Jakis.

First off, that hit on Tucker was clean. Only Leaf fans whine about it AND he went on to score the winner. True grit and passion in my eyes. Alfie 1 Leaf fans 0.

Mocks Sundin is on the list? Bwahahaha. Alfie 2 Leaf Fans 0.

Fake tomahawks Domi? Wicked. More tears for Leaf fans. Alfie 3 Leaf fans 0.

Wait. I am seeing a pattern with this so-called list. Weakly played Jakis and the sure sign of a Leaf whiner. Rather typical in fact. The only thing that really stands out in his career is this Niedermayer issue and I am not about to make any apologies or excuses for that. It looks bad and will taint his character.

The rest of it is fine. A high stick and a poorly positioned play on Tallinder? That happens to every hockey player but the timing on the Tallinder one is certainly a play he wishes he could have back. Try whining on a Leaf board where you might actually find some support.

Dude, it's a "turning point" the way I see it. As the captain, and it's timing, he has to shoulder a lot of the blame. Good players are humble and suck it up or shut up. Sure there are plenty of reasons for the loss. However, that one event can take the focus off of their game plan and give a mental advantage to the other team who will be returning to their home ice for the next game at the same time as receiving their star player back from suspension. If it had happened in Game 1 it wouldn't be nearly as critical for this very fact. If Alfie did NOT do what he did, they would have been able to regroup between periods after having tied it up before the buzzer, taken that third period at home with teh fans behind them and made it a best of 3 series.

Turn it around and what do you think the Sens could do if Alfie had been taken out by a cheap shot? Talk about rally cry. The Sens will be looking over their shoulders all night tonight. If Alfie is the superstar leader that he's billed as, he should be able to shine in this game ... we'll have to wait and see.

Will Murray dress McGrattan tonight? Will Murray break up the top line? It's gonna be an interesting evening one way or another.

As for "cheap shots" yup, Alfie's damn good at 'em. He just never gets called on them. He's an expert at hitting from behind when he gets frustrated, and also likes to take shots at other players with his gloves on when he knows there's protection between him and the other player. You may see it differently, but there are plenty of hockey fans out there who see the opposite.

Hey, Alfie doesn't think that his actions inspired the Ducks at all in the 3rd! He also says that his team is upbeat because they have "nothing left to lose"!!! ROFLMAO ... I guess he considers the Stanley Cup slipping away from him as nothing to lose. Maybe it was lost in translation :D That's OK, you keep following yer leader.

http://www.hfxnews.ca/index.cfm?sid=35115&sc=92

If it wasn't an accident, it was a juvenile move, and disappointing from Ottawa's leader, especially in a 2-2 hockey game with a full period left to play; a precursor to the Senators giving up the winning goal on home ice.

"It definitely struck a chord with our hockey club," Ducks coach Randy Carlyle said yesterday. "The thing that surprised me the most was that Scott took it upon himself to tell the team just to turn the page and forget about it.

"He didn't want the team to lose focus on the task at hand - again a leadership move."

Alfredsson spoke about the incident yesterday, but was only asked if he thought it inspired the Ducks in the third period.

"No," Alfredsson said.

If anything, it was perplexing for the Ducks.

Anaheim defenceman Sean O'Donnell, an Ottawa native, has been around the game a long time. He's seen players line up opponents for not-so-accidental shots.

"It's usually a personal thing," O'Donnell said, speaking to a scrum of reporters after the game.

"Someone elbowed someone or did something. That's Scott Niedermayer you're doing that to. I don't think he's ever offended or run anyone in his whole life."

Other reactions: Ducks goaltender Jean-Sebastien Giguere called the shot obvious and dangerous, while broadcaster Don Cherry labelled it "stupid, dumb," and a rallying point for the Ducks.

Count on the Senators' captain getting an Orange County serenade this evening.

Alfredsson says the team is rather upbeat now that it has nothing left to lose. Of course, the Buffalo Sabres had the same mindset when they were down 3-1 to Ottawa in the Eastern Conference final, then lost Game 5 in overtime on home ice.

Edited by Guest

You may see it differently, but there are plenty of hockey fans out there who see the opposite.

Sure there are but they are mainly known as biased Leaf fans. I'm not a Sens fan but I can at least cut through the obvious crap. He's a master of hitting from behind? Are you fucking kidding me?

Alfredsson mocks Sundin by fake throwing a stick into the crowd in 2004.

And yet the incident where Sundin actually THREW A STICK INTO THE CROWD goes largely unnoticed.

This one sticks in my craw. It was an obvious joke. If you can find a good replay you'll notice that a segment of the crowds starts cheering with laughter before the majority boo. Some fans got it. Sundin got it! Get over it.

I'm not a Sens fan but I can at least cut through the obvious crap. He's a master of hitting from behind? Are you fucking kidding me?

Didn't say he was a master, but rather an expert :) Like I said, he gets away with it.

People are free to support, despise whatever players they choose. Alfie's one of those players though where people tend to love him or hate him (kind of like a Chelios, Pronger, Peca, etc.) He's definitely not the "gentlemanly" player that a lot of people make him out to be (unlike those such as Yzerman, Sakic, Borque, etc.)

Will Murray dress McGrattan tonight?

You're trolling now' date=' right?

[/quote']

How's that trolling? It's a logical question. The Sens biggest problem so far are the periods where they have been out hit and out muscled along the boards. Extra size would tend to help out here? Like Alfie said, they've got nothing to lose at this point.

haha, this morning i wished i'd had a camera on me

was waiting for a bus and one rolled up alongside me and on one of the side windows, written in the dirt was "Gerber!"

checked to make sure it was Dinghbat driving, but alas it wasn't

If you were Murray, what would you do if Emery was to let in 2 soft goals in the first period? Would you toss in Gerber?

Murray's moves tonight will be very interesting to watch. Sometimes desperate times call for desperate measures. At least Gerber has Cup Final experience.

Kev, you think Alfie isn't shouldering any of the blame? You imply that he isn't a good player? Come. On. Man.

Kanada Kreskin, you seem to know a lot of what could have happened, if something else didn't happen, or if something happened differently, or if it happened to another team... Stick to what actually occurred.

As for your comments about Alfie being a cheapshot artist, well, you're wrong. He's MVP material and if you can't see that, i don't know what hockey league you've been watching all year. Every player has a couple bad plays in their career. You didn't even cite one 'cheap shot' - Alfie's been in the NHL for 13 years or so, you have a lot of games to choose incidents from.

Oh yeah

# Finished 4th in Lady Byng Memorial Trophy voting as the NHL's most gentlemanly player in 2005-06.

# Finished 2nd in Lady Byng Memorial Trophy voting in 2003-04.

Will Murray dress McGrattan tonight?

You're trolling now' date=' right?

[/quote']

How's that trolling? It's a logical question. The Sens biggest problem so far are the periods where they have been out hit and out muscled along the boards. Extra size would tend to help out here? Like Alfie said, they've got nothing to lose at this point.

Does the phrase "defensive liability" mean anything to you? There's a reason McGrattan's never played a playoff game. Bringing him into the lineup so he can hit some Ducks with his 3 minutes worth of ice time is lunacy.

the biggest reasons the Sens are losing this Stanley Cup series isnt because of alfredsson's silly play, bad periods, scoring droughts from big names, wonky skate blades, or anything else the Senator's are doing... the reason they're losing is because of all the things the Ducks are doing so well: staying calm and composed (particularly with the puck in their own end), playing a tight team game that stays true to their system, flushing the puck to the perimeter as much as possible, and playing great shut-down hockey.

glad to see Pahlsson (sp?) being talked about for a possible Conn Smythe - the guy has had to face the toughtest lines on each team in each series, and he's been a force - winning draws, playing great containment, and even generating offense against those lines. Perry has also been very impressive to me.

a team called the ducks vs. a team called the senators is almost a worst-case scenario in terms of choosing a team to root for (unless you're from the cities of those teams), but the ducks have really earned my respect with their play. and if ottawa wasnt in the final, you'd probably all feel the same way, too - they're playing dynamite play-off hockey, and though it was hard to admit all along, i really gotta hand it to them.

now, can they just get this over with quickly so we can focus on baseball for the rest of the summer? ;)

Kev, I have come to a conclusion. You dont watch hockey. Obviously the tv is on and its probably an excuse to drink beer and smoke bongs but you arent paying attenion. Rather than get in the multitudes of reasons as to how I have determined this, I will address your latest comment regarding dressing McGratton.

He will NOT be dressed and do you want to know why?

Primarily due to his lack of skating and speed. Have you not seen Anaheim play at all? Oh wait. We already figured that out.