Jambands.ca

Why does everyone love the Slip so much?!

Cully

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel for ya Cully, I was in the same boat for years. I just didn't "get it". I knew it was good, but I couldn't figure out why in the hell everyone thought they were the second coming.

Well after about 10 Slip shows, I got my head kicked in at NYE 2004. They took everything I thought about live music and changed it so drastically I can't even remember what it was before (kind of like when your good friend shaves his head and you can't imagine him with hair no matter how hard you try).

It took a long time, and a lot of shows- but now I rarely get through a day without listening to Reddish Moon, humming Fuji, or blasting my stereo with Even Rats.

The Slip is beauty, of both the human and sonic variety all at once.

I hope you can dig it someday..........

sean

I have a wicked hangover today from that peach sh@t...but that doesn't change the fact that I don't get the Slip (some folks actually tour with this band?) I have seen them live 4 times, and I have partied with the band (they are all super nice guys) I just get so bored at their shows..

Edited by Guest

They make beautifully perfect music... They make you have an emotional attachment to every note, every word and every moment... They are stellar musicians who write and perform important music.

In otherwords, they are everything Smokestack wishes they could be... ;)

Seriously Cully_, I didn't like them when I first heard them I now rate them as one of my top 5 bands of all-time, and my favorite band that currently tours... Go see them live (if you haven't yet) and see what it's all about...

I totally didn't get it the first time, found it boring. The next night I went to MTL to give them a second chance...BOOM i was gone, in love, taken to a place i had never been before, getting lost in the simplistic complexity of each member, of each sound for eterities. Only to pull out of it long enough to be floored by the beautiful fluidic cohesive unison that is the Slip.

Hell that night i was so caught up in the rapture i didn't even notice that the bar was on fire(literally)

i dont actually think i could properly answer why i love the slip so much.... i mean, are there words to describe the sound and feeling that happens at that moment? because it really is "that moment" for me.. when it happens... and it does... i guess its the patience and the delivery and the translation... i suppose for some people the translation just doesnt compute... i could sit down with anyone, put on a show, point to that exact moment in a particular song that defines why i love them, and that person could look at me and say "yeah... so?" or, as has been the case most of the time this has happened, the person could say "yeah... so how do i get more???" - but it's something that has to be heard and felt, i guess is what im trying to say.

yeah im there with ya cully, theyre good, but i wouldnt travel outta my way to catch em, or go on tour, or blow sunshine up their asses like SO many kids on here do,, just not my bag, theyre good, i have angels come on time cd, its good, but id rather listen to my loopstation HAHA!