Jambands.ca

Why does everyone love the Slip so much?!

Cully

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i tried really, really hard to NOT like the slip.

there was so much overhype about them on here it bugged me enough to relish in the fact that any slip i had heard, bored me.

then i went to see them live.

i resisted... and resisted.... and almost hoped they would blow so i could smugly continue on in my mission of dislike.

and then.... they blew me away. not right away mind you, it took a while into the show, but i had to throw my hands up & surrender. they really are very, very good. i don't think they are the greatest band ever, there are many other bands i would see before them.... BUT i really can't diss them either, because they are incredibly talented, and they DO create this crazy vibe when they play.

(and i don't do stupid drugs either, you know, the ones that make garbage trucks sound like symphonies. :D)

having said that though, while i do recognize and appreciate and even enjoy their talent -- enough that i bought their album at the show (angels come on time) -- i was very bored & disappointed when i put it on. it was just a big yawn to me.

i do enjoy recordings of their better live shows though, especially the one i was at (thanks, guigs!)

so yeah.... all i can really say about the slip is they're good enough i couldn't NOT like them, even when i tried my hardest.

My theory is as follows:

1. It's a known fact that people are always--ALWAYS!--thinking about sex.

2. Closely related to that is the truism that every 5 seconds, at least 98.7% of the North American population is thinking about lingerie in some form.

3. Subconsciouly, people like The Slip, because it calls to mind naughty outfits.

I'm a genius.

My theory is as follows:

1. It's a known fact that people are always--ALWAYS!--thinking about sex.

2. Closely related to that is the truism that every 5 seconds, at least 98.7% of the North American population is thinking about lingerie in some form.

3. Subconsciouly, people like The Slip, because it calls to mind naughty outfits.

I'm a genius.

smokingcrack_stamp.jpg

;)

Cully - b/c they are the best. Now quit being such a wanker and go drink some peach liqueur.

:D

that peach liqueur was such a bad idea, but mixing peach liqueur and red wine in your mouth that was a stupid idea. just finished cleaning the puke off the bathroom wall.

i'm with cully, the slip are a good band but there no druan duran.

It's mainly girls that like the Slip. They seem to all have a crush on Brad Barr. You'd think he was a Fireman or something!

Seriously, there is a very long year old thread in here somewhere with the same question and plenty of great answers. I will find it.

Don't worry if you don't get them. You don't need to and there's more room to dance without y'all non-slippers ;)

haa haa!!! friendly... man,... i apologise for the suggestion of mixing the peach liquer and the red wine ... but it tasted like sweedish berries!!! did it taste as good going up as it did down??

:D what a fun night!!! call me later re: tonight

first off, why does anyone like anything they like?

the Slip unfortunately get lumped into the jambands garbage bin, which is a shame because they're so much better than that. the Slip are hyper original musicians making incredible music that is overflowing with emotion.

true, i hate jambands, but i challenge any of you to find a band who's lumped in with all the other jimbands thats moving music forward the way they are. Brad does things all the time that make me want to go home and rub pizza on my instruments just to see what sound it will make.

they're the reasonm i've held every piece of electronic equipment in my house up to my guitars.

a better question would have been, how can anyone listen to moe. or Umph? oh yeah becasue they miss Phish and need a terrible ripoff to fill the void.

a better question would have been, how can anyone listen to moe. or Umph? oh yeah becasue they miss Phish and need a terrible ripoff to fill the void.

" Jamband " essentially became a term after Jerry died, and it was tied to Phish's uncanny sudden fanbase growth.

Edited by Guest

a friend of mine I introduced to the band with no pre-hype at all, described the amazing thing about The Slip as being "their amazing ability to draw you in" when they play

in my experience, front of the room seems to 'get it' more than the back of the room... seems hard to pick up casually on the aside I guess... I greedily ignore almost everything in the room when I have the opportunity to catch a show

secondtube hates the recording of the last hamilton show because of the room noise... I love that recording over any other I have as the room noise feels as much a part of the show as the music to me... think thats another thing, think the band plays overly well off a strong surrounding atmosphere (or creates one, amongst the faithful)

in other words... I don't know

Edited by Guest

first off, why does anyone like anything they like?

the Slip unfortunately get lumped into the jambands garbage bin, which is a shame because they're so much better than that. the Slip are hyper original musicians making incredible music that is overflowing with emotion.

true, i hate jambands, but i challenge any of you to find a band who's lumped in with all the other jimbands thats moving music forward the way they are. Brad does things all the time that make me want to go home and rub pizza on my instruments just to see what sound it will make.

they're the reasonm i've held every piece of electronic equipment in my house up to my guitars.

It's unfair to say that they are lumped in when in fact they give the term much more credibility and they aren't ashamed that people that have no fear of the jamband term seem to love them and support them like very few bands get supported these days.

If you don't like the term, it's probably because of what a generic jamband might mean to you. I think that is different for everyone, but the Slip are so unique and powerful. They are also pioneers and expeditionists.

Back to the topic at hand, either love them and enjoy them now, or wish you had in the future.

i just think it's unfair to lump anyone into something they're not, dont want to be, and dont try to be. it's likely that "title" that keeps more people from seeing them, and that is also unfair to them and their music... and the people who are missing out, too.

I dig the Slip & I know why.They are amazing musicians,put on a fun show & appeal very much to my music tastes,varied as they are.That said,I certianly don't love them unconditionally like some do.But its really not hard to get (in my opinion) when you watch & listen to them play.I 'get it' & I'm not a front of room person either.

First show I caught was in 2002-11-23 in Montreal,we [shane,Jeff & myself] were there two hours early,met the band,helped them bring in their borrowed equipment (they couldn't cross with their own,due the bars screw-up but they showed anyway) & put on one solid show despite the bars rudeness to them or lack of proper gear & I have yet to see them where I enjoyed them more,notice I didn't say hear? I think you gotta see em live for full effect.

secondtube hates the recording of the last hamilton show because of the room noise... I love that recording over any other I have as the room noise feels as much a part of the show as the music to me

I can agree to a degree there & theres nothing wrong with some 'room noise' in my opinion.But I get turned off when I can actually hear individual conversations (numerous) during the quieter parts of the show (although PJC you can hear that throughout).I feel if your goin stand front of room,then perhaps save the continual small talk & chatter for,between songs, set break or the back of the room some of us are there to listen.

...helped them bring in their borrowed equipment (they couldn't cross with their own,due the bars screw-up but they showed anyway)

This is one reason why I really love The Slip more than for reasons of them just being talented musicians; they seem like really stand-up guys. There's a BIG difference between three lads who honour a commitment to play (in another country!!!) when they don't even have any gear and a band who has their gear, has a venue and still decides not to play (not mentioning any names here :P).

As for why I like them musically, it's impossible to explain. All of the technical type reasons above I agree with, but it really does just come down to "getting it" (as pretentious as that may sound). For the life of me I will never understand why people rave about Rush (here we go again). I know they're good musicians. I just don't like what they do. I don't feel it.

Some things move you, some things don't. I don't feel the need to understand exactly why.