Jambands.ca

Why does everyone love the Slip so much?!

Cully

for the record, secondtube doesn't *hate* that pjc recording...

just the show is *so* good, and i had to *miss* it due to unfortunate circumstances....

soooooo, i sit, listening to the show, wishing i was there, and hearing about how 'funny' the bassists touque looks....etc.

BUT, i listen to that show quite often, and certainly dont *hate* the recording....but man...it can get frustrating....at times....

but any slip, is good slip, with me.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

bouche, define jamband.

funny. that's an entire 10 page thread, which has happened on here at least a few times.

Verdict, undefinable or rather too many personel definitions. It covers too much.

personally...

jamband=talented musicians playing real music, live, varying, impromptu, live creativity, toying, experimenting, pleasing, smoking weed.

yeah, to pick up on a couple of things brought up - a meta-musical reason I dig on The Slip is that they do seem to be interesting guys. There's a sort of spiritual dimension to their music that transcends any New-Age hippie nonsense, something I can't define but that makes perfect sense to me. The times I've seen The Slip, they make me feel cleansed. I can't really describe it but I know the Dead used to make me feel that way too, so that's a good thing!

the slip is alright iI haven't heard much but they're no burt neilson band, or mustashat for that matter so love it people cause everyone likes different things about diffenr bands!

NOW GO LISTEN TO MUSTASHAT AND THAT IS WHERE ITS HEADING

www.massiverecordproductions.com artists and mustashat

bouche Said:

personally...

jamband=talented musicians playing real music, live, varying, impromptu, live creativity, toying, experimenting, pleasing, smoking weed.

All is correct, but maybe not the weed part. A lot of jamband players don't smoke weed. Though, a lot of those guys are the ones who spend way too much time trying to convince everybody that they're not a jamband 'cause it's apparentely super uncool to be a jamband. Weather they somoke weed or not, those guys make me laugh.

I think if you call a band a jamband, you still have to define that band a little more because obviously there's so many variations of jambands... jazz, blugrass, funk, reggae, jazzy funky reggaeish bluegrass...... whatever.

I think jambands are cool and if the band is advertised or talked about on this page, they probably ARE a jamband.

The Slip (back to the point of the conversation), who are definetely a jamband.... When I saw them back at their first time playing evolve, I had the opertounity to play the stage right after them and had the opertounity to have some backstage percussion jams with the drummer, they kicked ass. I haven't seen them since. Not too sure if I'd be a hardcore fan if I've seen them a lot since. The concept reminds me of an east coast Garage Mahal. People love 'em, they're absolutely amazing players, and usually I get bored when I see them. Them's the breaks... sometimes the vertuosos aren't so much fun to watch for more than a half hour.

Cully... I know where you're comming from.

p.p. what makes a jamband? if the Slip are definately falling into that category, what is it? and how mcome they sound so different from all the others?

bouche, only 10 pages? i've seen it go longer than that. :D i love that debate.

and yeah, "talented musicians playing real music, live, varying, impromptu, live creativity, toying, experimenting, pleasing, smoking weed" defines jazz.

whats "real music?" anyway?

less jam, more jim.

I agree when P.P says "I think if you call a band a jamband, you still have to define that band a little more because obviously there's so many variations of jambands... jazz, blugrass, funk, reggae, jazzy funky reggaeish bluegrass...... whatever." At the beginning of the latest bonnaroo dvd, a musician says it i forget who though, he says there are many types of jambands, jazz jambands, bluegrass jambands, rock jambands, psycedelic jambands, funk jambands..ect

greg you put it into some good words for me. i love the slip..unconditionally. it doesn't matter if brads voice cracks, or the beat is off, or a wrong note is played, or marc is pluckin on those bass strings so fast he fumbles. they could do whatever in their personal lives....andrew could be a transvestite, marc could lead a cult and brad could marry a giraffe and i'd love the music and them anyways. reminds me of the trey quote re phish that he could musically (or literally) piss on the fans and they would drink it up.

the band in its totality inspires this unconditional love in a way i'd say...2 others have in my life. nothing else comes close.

i'll give an example. i think it was at the brooklyn show last december at lupo's right before nye (12/28) that brad said to the crowd "you guys are great" and someone booed or made a derogatory response. and brad said "no really, you guys are great". but he looked really really hurt. he had meant great not in that thanks for coming out you guys are great way, but in that you guys have the potential to achieve so much greatness, thanks for your vibes and your spirit, now go out and do great things way. the next night in providence i wanted to tell him that i got it, and it sucks that someone the previous night didn't and felt the need to shout it out. that he was great too and for him and the boys to keep on inspiring greatness....but the stupid security was basically picking people up and throwing them out, regardless of buying merch, talking to band members etc. so i didn't really have the chance to broach the subject.

there isn't much that inspires unconditional love for me in this world, and i wish more would...but the slip does. THAT'S why i love them so much. they just inspire me to do better. i go see other shows, and i'm like "hey that was a greeeeeat time, good tunes...where's the afterparty?" seeing the the slip, or listening to them makes me want to be a better person, that's the vibe/energy whatever i wish i got at every show i went to, or every song i listened to. their music takes you to place in your soul that makes you happy and want to share that with others.

once you allow your bitter sun dried heart to absorb some liquid and beat again you'll get it cully. now fuckin call me, biznatch.

in that case, theres no such thing a jamband, nor indie i suppose. if it needs to be broken up into 15 subcategories then the common ground is what defines the genre, right? so whats similar? fans and "jamming" but is Sco a jimband? god no. are MMW? is Bela?

no.

on a sidenote, ever notice how perfect the "jamband" music is in the south park episode "die, hippies die?"

nyerrrrrr

a friend of mine said to me once, and im gonna try to remember it correctly, but something along the lines of if he had to describe them to someone, he would go describe it as pure american music. now, that has a bit of a deeper expression attached to it. what he was trying to get across, i think, was that, like american culture, which is basically a shitload of other diverse cultures that have found themselves on the same rock, and of which america has taken bits and pieces here and there to form there own cultural diversity, the slip themselves are a band that takes from so much out there and mashes it up into their own little blend of musical cultural diversity. there's so much going on there, it simply cant be pinned down. they take from their jazz roots, they take from east indian music, they take from the blues, from folk, from brazilian music, bluegrass, etc etc etc, and play it in such a way that it is their own unique music.

personally, i dont know why they arent just known as a fucking rock band. it's pretty simple to me. rock n roll.

"are MMW? is Bela?"

yes.

"who are jambands then, Phish, Gratefull dead and Burt Neilson Band? "

now that's some funny shit considering last I remember, BNB was one of those wanna be, not wanna be jamband bands.

"personally, i dont know why they arent just known as a fuÇking rock band. it's pretty simple to me. rock n roll"

So if you're gonna try to win someone over with the Slip, just tell them "they're a rock and roll band". Do you think that's sufficiant? I think that that's like saying "they're a jamband". Not so explanitory. It's been a while since I've seen them, but last I heard (about 4 years ago), it sounded like jazz to me.

ok, MMW and Bela are NOT jambands. MMW are whats known as jazz. Bela is sort of all over the place. just because the guy with the beard in the GD shirt likes it doesn't mean its a jamband. to call what MMW does "jamming" sort of belittles the band.

as for Slip being jazz, i would say they had a really jazzy period and the jazz influence looms large, but they were never really jazz IMO.

i love Does.

So if you're gonna try to win someone over with the Slip, just tell them "they're a rock and roll band".

actually, no, thats not what i said. basically i said that i think they're a rock n roll band. earlier in the thread i said that if i was to win someone over on the slip, i would have to play something for them, not describe them with words. if you had read anything else i said, you'd have known that.

and no, i dont think it's sufficient. i dont think any words are. thats why i said i'd have to play them something.

if you only saw them once, 4 years ago, your idea of what they sound like, or what they are, is likely very wrong. they're a much different band now.

some people have mentioned some studio releases, umm, yeah, the only studio release i have is Angels Come On Time, and if that was the only impression i had of the band, i'd likely not be much of a fan myself.

guigsy.... actually if you look at my original post, I said that the time that I saw them, "they kicked ass", so don't get so defensive.

and djed... I've seen MMW over 15 times and I'll see them again. Often I wouldn't say they're jamming, I'd say they're noodling and dicking around.

oh yeah.... I have a beard and sometimes where a dead shirt and because I like him, Bela is a jamband.