Jambands.ca

Some thoughts on Vegoose

Basher

I was there. I actually got rid of my Trey ticket (for $2 more than face! :)) to see UM. I got to the venue, and some guy heading out gave me his stub for the band that was playing before UM: Blues Traveller. I got in line, and asked if I could get in for the UM show, but was turned down, beacuse BT was still on, so I whipped out the BT stub and asked if I could get in with that, and was let in, just as BT was in the middle of "No Woman, No Cry" (the "Everything gonna be allright part"), at which point I started having amazing fun.

Then the UM show burned me to a cinder.

Aloha,

Brad

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it's funny to watch Trey lose his marbles.

last night' date=' before his acoustic set, he got all warm and cuddly and announced:

"For all the people who are going to lambaste me on the Internet for playing Phish songs...Fuck you!"

hello, Trey? it's me Marc. Please don't say "fuck you" to me because I don't dig what you are doing. You only make yourself look like more of a self-absorbed bubble head than you already did. Didn't want Phish to become a "nostalgia act"? Fuck you.

I don't know if he was talking to you personally, Marc0. It seems to me like an awkward joke from a guy who's fed up with people feeling like they have the right to tell him what to do...I wonder if that has anything to do with the Phish breakup...hmmm...

As a fan that wasn't shocked or distraught that phish ended (and also someone that thinks "Come as Melody" and "Shine" are good tunes) I spent a lot of time last August wondering if phish fans will ever consider blaming themselves,just a bit, for suffocating the life out of their own favourite band.

Jef

there's a difference between people telling him what to do, and expressing their opinions, positive or negative, on what it is he is doing.

and before I could respond to your premise of Phish fans "suffocating" the band, I would need to know more about how exactly you mean that. Because, in the context of post-hiatus Phish, I can't see that. Sure, some people were hyper-critical, I thought that was terrible. But how that affected a band who released two new albums of new material within 30 months and toured relatively sporadically to the point of calling it quits, I can't connect those dots.

By "suffocating" I mean that there was never really a moment after, say, 1995 where the "phans" (and I do mean that in a cumulative way) didn't act like they had a right to make demands on the band.

Now I think that happens with all popular bands but Phish was a special thing.

The nature of their relationship with their audience was built on trust in an unprecedented way.

The band will do something new and challenging and the audience will listen and respond and this in turn will effect the band's artistic choices. The notion of this kind of paradigm in a modern pop culture setting is still staggering. I would dare say that the band was more engaged by and in tune with their audience(at least in the practice room) than even the Dead.

My point was...who deviated the paradigm first?

It's arguable.

I came to phish late but I remember being startled that the most vocal "phans" seemed to positively relish declaring Trey a "dick" or worse--it seemed to a newbie(me) that some people got more jazzed by slamming a not all that bad show than enjoying a good one.

I don't think the audience caused the break-up but I do think they had as much to do with it as they did with the band's success. That's the way Phish always worked. That's what Phish was.

Jef

P.S.-I would also use DMB's going on 6 year malaise as an example of this phenomenon. By the time the audience was made up of swooning sorority girls and dumbass frat boys trying to fuck them it became very difficult for him to continue to be you know...worth it.

He just keeps trying though. I don't know what is more admirable...

Not only the right to make demands, but the means to have those demands heard. Technology has changed forever the relationship between an artist and their audience. Immediately following a show, artists will know exactly what folks are saying about everything from their performance to their selist to their sound mix to their banter etc.etc Some of it can be brutal and it's not coming from some out-of-touch reviewer that the artist can easily dismiss, it's coming from the person who's bought every record they've ever released or who was sitting in the fourth row, looking them straight in the eye, and paid good money to be there. What an artist chooses to do or not do with the information can be an emotionally draining process. They can say they choose to ignore it, but few actually do.

Since running from it isn't an option, it looks like Trey has decided to simply try and confront it...."to all the people who are going to lambaste me on the internet...I say fuck you"

It will be interesting to see what happens.

Good for Trey.

If its a 'dialogue' and the phans have the right to voice their opinion, then he has the right to voice his.

It might have been a bit childish to say "fuck you" but, hell, the guy's been eating no-stop shit over the internet for some time.

I'd have pulled a Jay & Silent Bob on all you little bitches a long time back ;-)

hilarious pic of basher snoozin, looks empty as hell for a trey show...

and if i was trey, which im NOT by any stretch of the imagination, i think the only common thing there is the red hair, but if i was trey, i woulda sued alot of PTers for slander, and then pulled the jay&silent bob on yall

I just got back and man what a time!

Basher pretty much covered the trip for me aside from the ROCKIN Mule show on Friday night.

WSP stole the friggin show, completely hands down the best of the weekend and I feel anyone you talk to will agree, such energy!

Did some camping and hiking in Cali my first day there and saw two of my favourite chicks around.

I am sooooo tired right now so off to bed and to the Lanc for some more music tonight (does this ride ever end?)

IT'S A VEGOOSE MIRACLE!!!!

**edit** when Trey came out with Panic I thought it was one of the best moments. They jammed for what seemed like forever with the old up down rollercoaster jam giving us a tiny little rest before we all had to wind it up to full blast again. Man oh man. And then the Col. came out for a tune too!

OK, bed.

Edited by Guest

FYI: I bought the sbd of the show from WSP and it sounds dope! I'm not alone being the highlight for me so far I think...

Should have stayed for the lsat night Schwa...

I just got back and man what a time!

Basher pretty much covered the trip for me aside from the ROCKIN Mule show on Friday night.

WSP stole the friggin show, completely hands down the best of the weekend and I feel anyone you talk to will agree, such energy!

Did some camping and hiking in Cali my first day there and saw two of my favourite chicks around.

I am sooooo tired right now so off to bed and to the Lanc for some more music tonight (does this ride ever end?)

IT'S A VEGOOSE MIRACLE!!!!

**edit** when Trey came out with Panic I thought it was one of the best moments. They jammed for what seemed like forever with the old up down rollercoaster jam giving us a tiny little rest before we all had to wind it up to full blast again. Man oh man. And then the Col. came out for a tune too!

OK, bed.