Jambands.ca

June edition: 5-disc picks

MarcO

oh yeah, this one always flies, for good reason.

5 CDs you've been checking out lately, for better or for worse. For me,

John Scofield Band - Up All Night

Edie Brickell & New Bohemians - Shooting Rubberbands at the Stars

Parliament - Tear The Roof Off (2cd collection)

Keith Jarrett - The Koln Concert

Peter Tosh - Mama Africa

My office CDs this week are:

• The Grateful Dead / Reckoning
  • Miles Davis / Filles de Kilimanjaro (2002 reissue)
  • Steve Vai / Flex-Able
  • Furnaceface / Just Buy It
  • Sarah Harmer / You Were Here

I've also downloaded and will be listening to:

• Diesel Dog / Live At The Lanc

Aloha,

Brad

I've been on a CD purchasing kick lately (how novel - buying CDs!)...

TAB - Plasma

John Scofield - Up All Night

Ben Harper - Diamonds on the Inside

The Slip - Angels Come on Time

Bill Frisell - The Intercontinentals

1. Steely Dan -- Countdown to Ecstasy

2. Grateful Dead -- Live/Dead

3. Steely Dan -- Everything Must Go (the new one... it's good, good, GOOD)

4. Metallica -- St. Anger (digging this despite the all-out hatred for the snare)

5. Tomahawk -- Mit Gas (Mike Patton's most accessible disc in a while... reminds me a little of King For a Day)

Seeing as I can't afford a CD player for the truck at this time (just have a crappy AM/FM radio plugged into the lighter for now), I'll tell you what is sitting on top of the CD player at home:

1. Diesel Dog - Live At the Lanc (of course)

2. Various - Make Jazz Not War (Yo gave me this disc at CTMF and it's a great compilation)

3. Ben Harper - Diamonds on the Inside (musically, all over the map)

4. Jack Johnson - On and On (Mags loves it)

5. Wassabbi Collective - Masquarade Sessions (one hour of wildness, grrrr)

quote:

Originally posted by Floyd:

2. Various - Make Jazz Not War (Yo gave me this disc at CTMF and it's a great compilation)

I haven't heard of this one, and a quick Google search on the title didn't give anything useful. Who's on it, and what are the tracks?

Thanks,

Brad

King Crimson - The Power To Believe

* finally picked this up this week, more noisy prog-metallic fun - would like a few more vocal tunes 'cus I love Adrian Belew's singing and lyrics, but generally a good listen

Don Ross - 3 Hands

* just got this '92 album in a used bin for 7 bucks, Canada's best acoustic guitar player

Led Zeppelin - How The West Was Won & Boxed Set 2

* 'nuff said

The Kindly Ones - Edge of My Skin

* friends of mine from Toronto, very raw stuff with more than a hint of 80s goth-pop, particularly in the vocals

Hiway Freeker - Shark

* fast becoming one of my fave bands, wish I could be there for the seamless sets with nero!

Peace,

Mr. M.

• Learn Perl in 21 days
  • Advanced TCP/IP Techniques
  • Advanced Statistics
  • Math of Finance
  • IIS: Webserver Fun

oh, and if anyone wants a job tutoring Perl, i just failed my Perl midterm. (i did very well on all my other class's midterms, just i never could program; not perl, not C, not VB)

oh, cd's....

haven't really had time to listen to much music. what i have been listening to has been

antibalas

miles - dark magus

garaj mahal

the slip

[big Grin]

nero: 05-17-03d1, CTMF - mostly for the sweet "Come Together"

Steve Kimock Band: 04-12-03d2, LOVIN' the Kimock right now

Particle: 08-26-02d1, an "Axel F" cover, plus serious energy...

The Wassabi Collective: The Masquerade Sessions, still kicking my ass from this past weekend

Jimmy Swift Band: 01-21-03d2, a 40 minute "Now They Will Know...", simply sick!

Yes!

1. Led Zeppelin - How the West was Won

2. Dandy Worhols - Welcome to the Monkeyhouse - synthpop nirvana

3. TAB - 5/31/03 - Noodlefest w/Santana

4. Slip - Angels Come on Time - again and again

5. Radiohead-Hail to the Thief - "Just cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there...."

Look no further, it's a must own for any self-righteous Deadhead. I have been FLOORED by this. Hence, I am on a 4 cd kick. Thank you for the point-in-the-right-direction DogAtTheStation!

Grateful Dead and Arista Records are proud to present a spectacular new four-CD collection of previously unreleased recordings from the 1972 Europe Tour. The title? What else? Steppin’ Out with the Grateful Dead.

-

The selections on Steppin’ Out are drawn exclusively from the Dead’s stops in England, which accounted for more than a third (and some of the very best) of the tour’s 22 shows. As you can tell from their enthusiastic response here, British audiences had been clamoring for a visit from the Dead for some time, and the band rewarded the UK fans’ patience with terrific performances, characterized by tight, purposeful playing and adventurous jamming. Heard in this set are fine renditions of some of the staples of the Dead’s early-70s repertoire, standbys from their earlier years and a few real rarities, including a couple of songs never released on any Grateful Dead album until now: a rollicking version of Huey “Piano” Smith’s “Rockin’ Pneumonia;” and a short but sweet take on the former Ellis McDaniels’ famous ode to himself, “Hey Bo Diddley.”

It’s the closest you can get to Europe in ’72 without a passport and a time machine.

Guest Low Roller

- Radiohead "Hail To The Thief"

- Sam Roberts "We Were Born In A Flame"

- moe 07/01/02

- Nightmares on Wax "Smokers Delight"

- Postcards of the Hanging: Grateful Dead Perform the Songs of Bob Dylan

1) The Stone Roses - The Complete Stone Roses>>> Man, these guys rocked tight in the late 80's/early 90's!!! I'd call them a Pop Jam Band that pulled it off 10-fold! ANyone agree?

2) Rocket From the Crypt- Hot Charity

>> these guys are slicker than slick! Great horn backup! Highly recommend it to get your hot rocks off!

3) Phish 8/9/98 Merriweather!

sick funk in the 1st set Sally; funky Cavern and the Beastie cover! One of my top 5 shows!

4) DJ Aphrodite mix--- has anyone ever witnessed this guy drop the bass at a rave!! Badd-ass! Great d/b to work out to too

5) Zappa- 200 Motels sndtrck

no comment

quote:

Originally posted by zimmerman pt3:

1) The Stone Roses - The Complete Stone Roses>>> Man, these guys rocked tight in the late 80's/early 90's!!! I'd call them a Pop Jam Band that pulled it off 10-fold! ANyone agree

Actually Zimmerman, I don't agree with callling The Stone Roses a " Pop Jam Band ". They were firmly planted in the Britpop, alternative rock, power-pop genres of the late 80s and early 90s. They have a lot more in common with bands like the Charlatans UK, Happy Mondays, The Smiths, Suede and Morrissey. When I listen to them, I can certainly hear their influences too: The Kinks, Zeppelin, Beatles and The Who, with a dash of electonica for good measure. Still, I love power-pop and the Stone Roses were an important band in the early 90s.

quote:

Originally posted by zimmerman pt3:

1) The Stone Roses - The Complete Stone Roses>>> Man, these guys rocked tight in the late 80's/early 90's!!! I'd call them a Pop Jam Band that pulled it off 10-fold! ANyone agree?

3) Phish 8/9/98 Merriweather!

sick funk in the 1st set Sally; funky Cavern and the Beastie cover! One of my top 5 shows!

The Stone Roses were an *excellent* band - or, at least, the first album was excellent, anyway...

As for the Merriweather show, I was at that one - I can remember the crowd went absolutely *nuts* when they started playing Sabotage. Of course, as crazy as it was, it was nothing like the reaction the night before when they broke out Terrapin Station - the cheering was deafening, and wnet on for about two minutes.

Summer '98 was a fun tour... [big Grin]

Archived