Jambands.ca

Hurray! I Get to Twist More Young Minds!

Dr_Evil_Mouse

Nope - they'd originally said that they might give me the Intro Philosophy, but opted to go with someone they'd had on staff before, so went with ethics and writing courses instead. The curriculum is really mine to play with, within what given in the already-ordered textbook, which doesn't mean much as nobody can actually be expected to read textbooks anymore. I think they'll both be a hoot. I miss that space.

But, how do you teach ethics without it being a course in philosophy?

When I think of studying ethics, I tend to immediately think of Aristotle to Kant to Hume to Nietzsche to Rawls to MacKinnon/Dworkin, and everyone in between.

What's this course like?

Oh, and you don't need good vibes to get into teachers' college. You'll get in, and they'll be lucky to have you.

Thanks, SM! I hate thinking about tbe debt-load we'll incur if I do get in, but I do love the work, so I'm plowing ahead regardless.

Seriously, the curriculum is mine to work with as I see fit, and yes, I do see running them through the Aristotle-Kant-Hume-Nietzsche-MacKinnon-Dworkin corridor (along with some sideroads along the way - Milgram, Arendt, Habermas, etc.). This is pretty exciting stuff. The trick is to work in enough Family Guy references to keep them on the same page.

For another approach, how about some exercises in operational ethics, rather than just presentation of notable others' thoughts on it? Set up mock role-playing "games" (based on political parties, maybe?) in which a stated ethical ideal meets hard reality, and the players have to choose, and live/deal with their choice.

Aloha,

Brad

They get an OK turnout. Jimmy Swift Band played there (The Aud) last time they were in town. K-OS got a big turnout there (of course).

They had Billy Talent play out on the lawn, I think it was last summer.

Will remember more after some coffee. Or if Snelly is reading this, he goes there *and* has a much stronger memory than mine.

(oh - and the Family Guy references: good call! My first moral philosophy/ethics prof. had a tendency to make references to the show all the time ... even when it had nothing really to do with what we were talking about :) Worked well.)

Congrats, DEM!