Jambands.ca

Come Together Music Fest update ...

mark tonin

BTW: If I recall correctly this little party wasn't called the CTMF until it was at Izzies.

my ticket from 2001 Ghosttown says CTMF on it. I believe it was called CTMF previous to being at Frontier town also.

Thanks for confiming for me that yes indeed, my memory glands have officially failed.

I don't often save ticket stubs. I probably should or I may start to forget alltogether if I've been at a show. I only started attending this event the last year it was held at frontier town, so I'm not that much of a vet.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have heard much about this place.

The fiancé still refers to every CTMF as Frontier Town and has told me how fun they were. It'll be nice to play for her there :) and simultaneously gain real connection with the roots of CTMF.

Deeps

yes, it is a legendary place. Since you have never been there before, let me try to describe it to you so you know what to expect.

Frontier Ghost Town is located on 50 acres of lush, rolling green hills. It was first settled in the mid 1800's by loggers. They built a mini community that included a meeting hall, a saloon and, incredibly, an early version of a pharmacy.

Today, the grounds are maintained by a mixture of private and public administrators. As you enter, the first thing you'll notice are the marble fountains on either side of the cobblestone driveway entrance. These were donations to the Ghost Town by Sir Farkus McDulles of Gravenhurst, in memory of his great grandfather, Farkus the 1st. Note the detail in the lilies inscribed on the fountains.

Upon reaching the grand bronze gates, your eyes will be drawn to the natural gardens and butterfly sanctuary to the right. Here, generations of flowers and flora native to Grey County thrive in a fully encapsulated garden area, maintained by loving volunteers.

Go a little further down the road and you'll reach the museum building. Here, you'll see the furs worn by Sir Farkus and marvel at the carpentry of his famous desk, where in 1859 he wrote his greatest treatise, "Why Wilco is Better Than The String Cheese Incident" - a truly provocative and trendsetting document, to be sure.

Across the way, be sure to visit the natural hot springs. Surrounded by marble borders, these hot springs are unique to the region and must be entered in all nakedness in order to get the whole experience.

Beyond the hot springs, there are acres of rolling, lush green fields, carefully maintained by the local crew. These were said to have moved Sir Farkus to tears as they evoked homesick feelings for his native Scotland. Once a year, the settlers of Ghost Town would grease up a pig in a crude form of oil and set it loose across the fields. Whoever first managed to catch the greased up piggy became mayor of Ghost Town for the rest of the year: it is a grand tradition that is still celebrated today.

Marvel at the series of lakes and ponds that stretch the border of Ghost Town. Crystal clear spring water leaks from the hot springs and downriver, creating an oasis like setting surrounded by plush foliage. Swans and ducks revel merrily in the water, which somehow always manages to emit the soft scent of vanilla. It is said that this is where Sir Farkus drowned his fourth wife after a peccadillo involving a Saloon waiter but many say this is hearsay and that his wife was engaged in sexual congress with a goose. Historians continue to debate the fate of Lady Edwina.

And the saloon! Oh, it is like stepping back in time! Little has changed since the first settlements. Grand yet familiar, lean against a brass rail - unchanged since the first days - and take note of the wooden bar, made from ancient Oak wood shipped directly over from the Scottish moor areas that Sir Farkus so longed for. It's craftsmanship is unparalleled in Ontario. Ancient wooden kegs continue to produce a local brew that takes several years to develop, mixed with the sweet honey of only the plumpest local bees. Pull up a silk-padded chair to the ornate bar and enjoy some of the finest ale in the world.

Adjacent to the Saloon is the McDulles Natural Amphitheatre, a natural hill sloping gently towards a permanent stage that has boasted performances from some of the world's finest artists, including an unforgettable night with Sting that ended in a 14 hour tantric sex orgy in the back field. Sir Farkus would have been proud! Music festivals continue to this today, check the calendar for upcoming events.

For those who choose to stay overnight, there are the old Servant quarters that boast a series of hot showers, bubbling baths scented with rare oils and musks and an on-site spa. Wednesdays continue the tradition of Wife Swapping Wednesdays - again, a Ghost Town tradition - while Sundays offer a Nude Leapfrogging contest on The Great Lawn. A coterie of bikers will watch over your children in their own Children's Fun House, established in 1998.

So, there's a lot to look forward to Steve! I hope it all meets your expectations.

rbg-sydney-b_3.jpg

Risko Gardens @ Frontier Ghost Town

I am planning on going. I just hope for the weather that I've been lucky to experience the last couple CTMF's. I somehow think that the saloon facade would be to small to handle the crowd that I would hope to capture on the camera this year.

Is the tower gone?

Are you going bouche? If so, we should do another Skank pic by the Saloon:

570066789_l.jpg

CTMF May 2003

if i see some naked redneck cokehead's nuts at two in the afternoon again i'm kicking them with my fourteen holes!

other than that, i frickin' love frontier town!

my goal of the weekend will be to make it to one of the skanc pics, i have not been in one yet! i'm always working when they're going on!

my speculations............

the biggest festival i can recall was somewhere close to two thousand i believe, it was one of the last ones at the ghost town.

it's not at izzy's anymore because Gary is not running the park anymore.

average attendance at izzy's was five hundred-ish i would estimate!

oh, and Rick, if you lurk on this board, do i still have permission to jump on anything of yours????? ;)

Getting tastier. I had a feeling on JSB being here. They're doing a little mini tour through the east coast that finishes May 7. Mike has told me before they love to play this festival so I had a feeling about them. Awesome!

I love slowcoaster. Have never seemed to be in the right time/place or situation to see them. So I'm very happy about their addition. I swore I would not miss them next time they came around. Looks like I'll fulfill this wish the right way.

Looks like the Cape Breton content is going to be well represented. :)