Jambands.ca

Question of the night 7/3/03

Vermontdave

jam band is really an assinine term if you ask me ... but, for the most part, it suits.

Why isn't Miles Davis considered "jam band" ... do most people consider Scofield part of the jam community?

DMB is (was) considered a jam band and they hardly jam (at least not anymore) ...

The term is useful I think ... but not accurate

The whole notion of "jam band" includes not only music, but also sociological and economic aspects as well:

• devoted fans, who are willing to take in entire tours
  • legal audience recording and trading of concerts
  • existence (for the most part) outside the mainstream of the music business (radio, video, endorsements, promotion, etc.)
  • varying set lists, often made up as the show progresses
  • application of advanced/jazz/improvisational musical techniques to rock'n'roll/funk/electronica (and/or vice versa)
  • some of the most knowledgeable fans, with some of the widest range of musical tastes imaginable

There are probably others, but I hope my point comes across: to apply the phrase "jam band" to, say, Phish, SCI, The Grateful Dead, The New Deal, nero, Bela Fleck & The Flecktones, etc., I think we need to move beyond specific styles/genres of music. Those artists have a lot in common, but not necessarily stylistically.

Aloha,

Brad

quote:

Originally posted by skelter:

jam band is really an assinine term if you ask me ... but, for the most part, it suits.

Why isn't Miles Davis considered "jam band" ... do most people consider Scofield part of the jam community?

DMB is (was) considered a jam band and they hardly jam (at least not anymore) ...

The term is useful I think ... but not accurate

I agree, but it has become an accepted descriptive phrase.

'Bitches Brew' is playin right now [Cool]

edit: good description Brad [big Grin]

I would have to say that the term "Jamband" means a band that frequently "segues" tunes together and focuses on extended improvisations within the tunes they play. Obviously it's not that cut and dry, but this seems to be what separates the "Jam" music that I listen to from the rest.

quote:

That's not true! I just saw them at Darrien Lake and there was tonnes of cool jamming, particularly in the last half of the set. And the last time I saw them in TO they had some great jams going with Bela Fleck sitting in.

They do have a few songs that they play "straight" without much jamming, but hey so do Phish and the Dead.

Peace,

Mr. M.

bands affected by the mood and ambience of a place and point in time who know each other well enough musically to project a reflection of their feelings through their songs and music in a live setting at said point in time...

alright, thats enough out of me

I'm goin out for beer

I am not sure sure about the actual meaning of the word, but here is something that impresses me about playing in a jamband.

The listening, and "living in the moment" (stole that from VD - liked it a lot).

There are times that my band is playing a tune that normally rocks straight and hard. One of us will feel like disco'n it up or regae, or swing, and all of us follow suit. The songs are very rarely exactly the same because of the strong element of listening involved. Experimenting too.

I don't exactly know what I mean, but that is what impressed me when I first started playing with a jam band. The variations of ways we can play the same tune. We don't have to talk about it, it just starts happening.

Phred

quote:

Originally posted by Pootie Tang:

quote:

Originally posted by Dennis:

Any band made from fruit and berries

Just what I was think of!! All Jambands should have fruit/berries as part of their name, i.e. The Blueberry Collective, Grant Theft Marmalade, Rasberrywheeler, Huckleberry Freeker, ...

Guava Juice...

Aloha,

Brad

Actually some Mtl bands have been using the term Improviastional Groove Rock (I think Test Pilot's earlier incarnation used that first) and I think that's bang-on.. It can be used for other bands too:

Stragefolk- Improvisational Folk Rock

Blue Quarter - Improviastional Jazz Rock

Particle - Improviastional Techno/House/Break rock

Imp funk rock, Imp fusion rock etc or

Disco Biscuits - Improviastional Shit Rock (I'm in so much trouble for that one, I can feel it)

Archived