Jambands.ca

good movie // bad movie

gentlemonkey

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not big on movies, but I recently saw "Shawn of the Dead" for the first time. I'm sure most of you have seen it and it's old news to you, but I avoided it for a long time because the title gave me the impression that it was another of those teen spoof movies (i.e. Not Another Teen Movie XVII). Anyway it turned out to be quite good, an excellent British tongue-in-cheek jab at zombie movies.

As for bad movies, the ladyfriend and I saw Albert Brooks' "Looking for Comedy in the Muslim World" in the theatres a few months ago. Bloody, stinking awful. Just plain unfunny. So much opportunity for comedy (and I don't mean unfair racial comedy) but he just drops the ball in most cases. Drops it...like it's hot.

So once again that's:

Good: Shawn of the Dead

Bad: Looking for Comedy in the Muslim World

I really liked King Kong. It was faithful in every way to the style and theme of the original.

Good: Korean films by Chan-wook Park: Sympathy For Mr. Vengeance and Oldboy (the first two films of his revenge trilogy).

Bad: I seem to miss those ones, although my finance said John Cusak's Must Love Dogs was brutal.

I mostly only have the patience for westerns, these days. It could easily be seen as a character flaw, but I prefer to think of it as eccentric and charming (I'm sure I'm the only one ...)

Good: Face to Face (Faccia a Faccia)

Bad: Chisum (but the title kinda makes ya giggle ...)

I mostly only have the patience for westerns, these days. It could easily be seen as a character flaw, but I prefer to think of it as eccentric and charming (I'm sure I'm the only one ...)

Good: Face to Face (Faccia a Faccia)

Bad: Chisum (but the title kinda makes ya giggle ...)

I love westerns and I try to watch one or two every few weeks.

Recently viewed good western: The restored cut of Peckinpah's Major Dundee.

Recently viewed great western: The restored cut of Peckinpah's The Wild Bunch.

I saw the restored Wild Bunch recently, too. Good shit. (and the restored Peckinpah "Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid" ... good Bob Dylan soundtrack, and Dylan also plays the sidekick) Also recently saw Peckinpah's comedy "Cable Hogue", which I thought was a hoot. Haven't seen Major Dundee or Ride the High Country yet.

Glad I'm not the only one with this affliction :laugh:

Also recently saw Peckinpah's comedy "Cable Hogue", which I thought was a hoot. Haven't seen Major Dundee or Ride the High Country yet.

Glad I'm not the only one with this affliction :laugh:

I'm dying to see Ride The High Country, Cable Hogue and Pat Garret & Billy The Kid. I'm waiting on a restored version of Bring Me The Head Of Alredo Garcia. Peckinpah's The Getwaway is fucking great.

I'm also a big fan of Anthony Mann and his collaborations with James Stewart. Get The Man From Laramie, Bend Of The River, The Far Country etc... I'm renting The Tin Star next week.

Also, check out John Sturges' (The Magnificent Seven, The Great Escape) lost classic Last Train From Gun Hill: http://www.allmovie.com/cg/avg.dll?p=avg&sql=1:28395~C

FANTASTIC: Dig (documentary about Brian Jonestown Massacre and The Dandy Warhols)

TERRIBLE: A Sound Of Thunder (Douglas's moving picking privledges are officially revoked)

BAD: Hostel

Not if you like film-noir, so I wouldnt recommend it to hippies. Critics may have trashed it but this thing serves the only purpose it intends to serve. Most of you shouldnt rent it. If you liked Cabin Fever than it's probably for you.

Bad: Serenity

What didn't you like about "Serenity"? I saw it, and liked it a lot. (Note that I'm not jumping on you, I'm just interested in an opposing opinion.)

Aloha,

Brad

Edited by Guest
Quote and disclaiming note.

I guess I really wasn't into the whole "Space Cowboy"thing...I just didn't buy it. Now don't get me wrong there were a few things I liked... the crazy girl that kicked ass=HOT, and the reevers were kinda cool but they really didn't show enough of them.

I've also been told if I had seen Firefly, I would have enjoyed it a lot more

Edited by Guest

I'm dying to see Ride The High Country, Cable Hogue and Pat Garret & Billy The Kid.

PM me your address, I'll send them out. The DVD of Pat Garret is NTSC, but the DVD copy of Cable Hogue I've got is PAL ... could be a problem, depending on your equipment, but if you've got a DVD-ROM in your computer you can watch it that way if it you don't mind watching it that way (it's region-free).