Jambands.ca

Grand Theft Bus Rocks

Deeps

Just listened to last summer's show @ Maverick's

I really like their quirky approach to all aspects of the music.

Wacky polyrhythm stuff and a sound that isn't derived from anything specific, coupled with solid vocals makes them stand out of the crowd of "Jambands".

It took me a 2nd time seeing them live to really get this sound and having revisited it over the course of listening to this show

GTB - Mavericks - July 13 2005

I am still sold.

Truly original stuff in this day and age aint easy to come by.

F'in right.

Deeps

I'm still diggin' the Bus... they should be back on the road again this summer.. hopefully we'll see some Ontario dates.

going to check out those shows right away..

I caught wind of some members of GTB involved in a Fredricton baseed allstar band side project sorta thing this past Winter... Do you got any word on that Jay?

I am sorry but I just don't like the new sound.

Jay I just call them like I see them. When a good band doesn't play that well, or when a band changes the sound in a way I don't like, I don't blow sunshine up their asses like some people on this board. I state my opinion...sorry I am a grumpy old bastard.

I am a grumpy old bastard.

hey fair enough... They have changed a lot.. some for the better some for the worse. By all means call it as you see it. BTW did u like that BREAKFAST CD?

I caught wind of some members of GTB involved in a Fredricton baseed allstar band side project sorta thing this past Winter

FUSSY PART is the band name, another is Olympic Symposium... Tim Walker has also been doing some solo shows.. I think there is some recordings floating about...

I am sorry but I just don't like the new sound.

Jay I just call them like I see them. When a good band doesn't play that well, or when a band changes the sound in a way I don't like, I don't blow sunshine up their asses like some people on this board. I state my opinion...sorry I am a grumpy old bastard.

I hope it's clear that I'm not blowin sunshine hear. In fact I thought it important to voice my opinion on this band's sound to counter the non-stop celebration of bands that, though solid, are not all that current or progressive.

I hear potential in GTB that I really don't hear in a lot of the band's I've heard cheered on this board.

Deeps

I'm still rocking on board the bus....I've said it before and I'll say it again Graham (spelled wrong) and Tim's harmony is sooooooo very hard to beat and/or come by. (even compared to other siblings i've heard - their's is still of the better I've heard or at least that I can think of off the top of my head.)

I was on board through this change of theirs and I liked it, still can't beat the older bus stuff in my opinion but had I never caught older bus show and just saw one of their more recent I can say I'd still dig it.

I can appreciate other people don't agree with me here but you can't deny their talent even if you don't agree with their recent direction.

(and I know no one has denied their talent in above posts I'm just sharing my opinion)

Edited by Guest

I, too, have seen the transformation from "old Bus" (my first GTB show was 2002-01-25) to "new Bus", and have been a fan all along the way. I find their musical approach rare (if not unique), especially the way they have two guitars, but rarely (if ever) use a traditional guitar solo in their songs. (I was astounded to learn that neither Dennis nor Tim had ever studied jazz guitar, as I find their playing very jazzy at times.) They're producing new material, and it's of a wide range of style and approach (e.g., "Photograph" vs. "Annoying And Blue"). They still occasionally break out the trippy/jammy stuff, but have moved more into a song-based thing, which is fine in my books; yes, they've dropped a lot of material (I'm still waiting/hoping for "Shapes And Patterns" to get broken out again), but that gives them room for new material, and allows for them to drop the odd "treat" on us. The alternative would be for them to still be playing all the old stuff (or to focus on the old stuff), which would be stagnation, in my opinion.

Cully_, exactly what is it about the new sound you don't like? If that "new sound" were being made a band other than GTB, would you still dislike it? (That's not a disrespectful challenge, just a question.)

Aloha,

Brad

I'm still rocking on board the bus....I've said it before and I'll say it again Graham (spelled wrong) and Tim's harmony is sooooooo very hard to beat and/or come by. (even compared to other siblings i've heard - their's is still of the better I've heard or at least that I can think of off the top of my head.)

[color:purple]Obviously you've never heard any heady Oasis boots.