Jambands.ca

Ottawa Slip Content!

AD

I would recommend that you have a listen to Dan Bern before you decide how excited you want to be about this one. I actually quite like Bernstein as he is known, but he is a real folkie and his style of songwriting is definitely not for everyone. Kind of like a male version of Ani Difranco though he is quite often likened to a new age Bob Dylan. Seen him a couple of times and it's quite entertaining but don't expect anything too mind blowing. Definitely will be fun to check out but it won't likely resemble The Slip much.

The Slip involved with anything is pure gold. I remember a few people were skeptical of the Surprise Me Mr.Davis thing and it is probably the greatest ensemble ever put together with Nathan Moore. Mind you he is a big part of the behind the scenes of the Slip.

When I first met Sharon, she was a big fan of Bern, and I'm sure she played me some. I just don't recall what I heard.

I am jealous of you guys. This will be amazing.

I must disagree with Weirdness (which I rarely do on matters of music, actually).

Dan Bern is actually quite diverse. He started out a pure folkie, but when he hooked up with his electric-rock band, The International Jewish Banking Conspiracy, he broke right out of that folk-mold, just like Dylan did way back when. (In fact, I was at a Bern show with the IJBC, when all the folkies in the audience complained that they don't like "rock music".)

I wish I could see this show. The Slip with Dan Bern? Gold.

hmm.. i dunno.. outside of smmd, and obviously anything co-written with nathan, i dont really hear it so much. straight up slip songs seem, to me, to be born out of a more grandiose nature vs. nathan's sharp simplicity. especially anything marc gets his hands on.

"before you were born" always comes to mind. Isn't that an example of a tune written by Nathan.

I'm just getting these thoughts from introductions to tunes by Brad. "This one's a song that my friend Nathan..."

Maybe you could help me compile a list of Nathany tunes?

yeah, but i mean those are songs that nathan wrote all of, or at least half of. i really dont hear any of nathan's influence in songs that he doesnt have a hand in, i guess is what i mean... and i'd say he only has his hand in a small percentage of the slip's repetoire... i suppose it's growing, the more they do SMMD stuff, but still..

and yeah, i could help ya with a list..

off the top of my head:

back in 15 minutes

before you were born

i hate love

i think poorboy might be at least partially nathan, too.

the odd time they'll do as long as there's one of us standing...

there might be a couple more..

ah! sleepyhead! yes, good one.. how could i forget... and yep, nathan words, brad music... i put that one in the smmd column, though.. hahah. :)

edit: btw - thanks for keeping my mind thinking on a slow day at work... thinking about my shitty vinyl, tryin to come up with nathan/brad collaborations.. the day has flown by!

Edited by Guest