Jambands.ca

So I didn't get let across the border...

afro poppa

and now no Mountain Jam for me, and Bonnaroo and 10 K and everything else is looking mighty sketchy.

It wasn't even for drugs, I didn't bring a thing across the border. Apparently I was "rude" to the people (which is ridiculous) and they don't take too kindly to that.

So it looks like I am staying up in Canada for a long long time...bummer.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ari:

The worst part about this (as you will one day learn) is that the fact that you were once refused entry at the border is grounds to refuse you entry in the future. Of course, if they ask if you've ever been refused entry you can lie and say "No", but then they get really angry if they check their computers...

Bummer man. Sorry to hear this.

EDIT TO ADD:

Have you thought of travelling within Canada this summer? West for instance?

Edited by Guest

go on the boat cruise to make up for it

I may just do that

sounds like a very good call I'd say... remember to e-mail them to reserve a spot if you do

and oh well... seems like sometimes things happen for a reason... maybe there was a heady dose of bird gonorrhea waitin for ya on down at mountain jam... but sorry to hear it, you were obviously excited

might also contact customs in your free time and ask them whether or not there's some way to clear your name if you have no record whatsoever and feel you were unjustly singled out... turning you away just for having funny hair seems discriminatory ;)

would personally try again for the next fest... worst they can do is say "no"... you weren't charged... for good measure, tell them you're planning to sign up for the canadian military in september (hey, plans can change ;) )

That is so sad...I am so sorry to hear that Afro!

I would even try again today, with your hair pulled back under a big hat and dress very conservative...worth a shot and if that doesn't work head for the boat cruise :D I'll have a joint and beer waiting with your name on it.

Sorry to hear that, it sucks to hear about someone who isn't a threat or danger to anyone being denied access to the USA because of a minor drug charge or just by the way they look.

If you don't mind me asking, what was it that was said by you that was so "rude" to have the border guards say that you could not into the US. Having young people know such things might help them in the future when they want to get across to see a concert or just to travel.

Tim

I always treat border guards with way more respect than they deserve (answer questions with a yes sir, no sir) I always take off my hat and wear a nice sweater to ensure a safe border crossing...also only answer their questions, don't try and spark up conversation with them!!!

I always treat border guards with way more respect than they deserve (answer questions with a yes sir, no sir) I always take off my hat and wear a nice sweater to ensure a safe border crossing...also only answer their questions, don't try and spark up conversation with them!!!

ditto

its also vital to silently use the force.

eye contact but not too much.

very soory to hear about your misfortune, AP. the guy that i work for was deported from the states in the 70's and still gets grief every time he tries to enter the US. he was working illegaly in california when his workplace was raided by the INS.

ironically they were looking for mexicans working illegally. when they found out that he was canadian they lightened up a bit bit still gave him the boot :(

call your MP, there may be a way of clearing your record. otherwise you will experience chaos every time you try a trip to the US.

I'm very confused. What are the rules with crossing the border again? Don't you have to break some kind of law to be refused entry?

What the hell is deemed to be rude in a border conversation?

I always hate the border experience and I have no reason to be scared, but this is getting bad.

Basically here is the story...

My friends and I tried crossing the border with beef and apples, unaware that we weren't allowed to bring them across. Our primary (like the person who checks our IDs) was extremely rude (rudest I have ever encoutered) and it got me upset. They told us to park our car for inspection. When we parked our car, the women took out our cooler and proceeded to unpack everything. She said any beef or fruit would be confiscated. As it turns out, we had just bought about 40 dollars worth of beef and fruit so we were all dissapointed. I said "Can we get reimbursed?" and they said "if you wanna go back to Canada you can." I laughed and said something along the lines of "What a fu*king waste". She took this as rude. Next they say hold on a second and make us wait 20 minutes or so in our car before this huge dude comes out with gloves and yells at us to get out of the car and go inside.

Once inside we were all joking around and happy that we wouldn't miss a set of music even if they kept us there all night and also happy that we didn't bring anything (drugs and the such) over the border.

After about an hour, they call me in to the back room. The head supervisor looks pissed and the first thing he says is "Where were you going?". I was in shock. I couldn't believe that after being so excited for something it could be snatched away because one lady didn't like that I was unhappy about losing food. The supervisor started calling me a punk, and threating me with jail for obstruction, and saying that I am in big trouble and all that. He was really really really mean. Apparently, they thought I was being rude because I had something to hide which is total BS. They were just picking on us because we happened to be driving a nice car and I was complaining about the food.

Now, don't get me wrong, I am fully aware that what I did was dumb and out of line and I never should've spoken out. But I don't think that warrants us not being allowed in US. Luckily, the guy called my Dad (who is extremely heady) and my Dad convinced him to let us go back to Canada instead of arresting me, giving me a record, and impounding our car.

On top of all that, and this I feel the worst for, is because of me, my two buddies can't go to the festival either...this makes me the most sad. I can deal with my own being sad and I am sure I will get over it, but its not fair to my friends to be screwed over for something I did.

The US border can kiss my ass...those guys are such dick heads.

man that sucks and all... but you didn't know you can't take beef across the border?

hopefully you'll be able to make all the other festivals this summer :) There are plenty north and south of the big arbitrary line.

AD

I have a lot of sympathy for this situation, because I was once refused entry for no reason at all. They didn't even suggest I was rude. Apparently, my hair was too long. I asked why I was being refused entry, and they said "No reason." I actually managed to beg my way in to the USA that day, but it now says on their computer system that I've already been refused in the past (which I actually wasn't) and now any time I get to the border now, if they ever check, I'm faced with a bizarre situation:

"Have you ever been refused entry to the United States?"

"No."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes."

"You're lying...."

"No, you see, I was almost refused entry, and it was for no reason, but they eventually let me in..."

"DON'T LIE TO ME!"

"Sir, I'm not lying, and I don't want to make you angry, and I'll agree with you that I was refused entry before, if it will keep you from getting angry, although I wasn't actually refused..."

Seriously Afro Poppa. Travel West this summer.

I've got a futon with your name on it if you make it this far, and Bonfire Festival would make a good eventual destination for you.

honestly, you are a dumbass.

is it not obvious that you don't speak out or run your mouth at a border guard? or a police officer? or a judge?? or anyone else with authority? it gets you nowhere.

and you especially don't run your mouth when you have a huge afro and are wearing a tye dye t-shirt. it gets you profiled.

you go to the border, you answer all questions with with brief, to the point statements and you tell only the truth.

pack all your food that might be taken away on the top part of your cooler and if they search...they see it right away, they take it away, and usually APOLOGIZE for taking your food "sorry guys, but thats the rules right now because of .....so on "

and didn't your mother ever tell you to not swear infront of a lady?

fak afro poppa..... you got your self into a ton of crap for nuttin.,

Border Guards = people that tried to become a cop and failed so they take it out on you. :wink:

P.S. this is a big generalization

One apocryphal story I'll always remember is that the last job Oklahoma City bomber Timothy McVeigh applied for was as a border guard in Detroit; apparently he aced the test, and was just the sort of guy they were looking but, but they just didn't have any open positions at the time.