Jambands.ca

i got a ticket and now have a question

Birdy

recently while out in Alberta i got pulled over while driving and got a ticket. the cop told me that he HAD to give me the ticket, but that he didn't know of any interrelation between the ministry of transportation in ontario and it's Alberta equivalent and that, in not so many words, he didn't think i'd have to pay it. so i haven't.

today in the mail i got a notice from alberta court services reminding me of my conviction and fine owing, and tacked on is an additional $50 late payment fee.

i'm just wondering if anyone knows if there is any kind of interrelation here? or if i can just pretend i never saw this notice and carry on my merry way. i just don't want to get screwed over when i go in september to renew my plates and get told i owe x ammount of dollars. that would suck.

Just pay the thing, Birdy. [Generally speaking] Cops are ignorant fucking knobs. He most likely didn't need to give you a ticket and most likely knew you'd have to pay the ticket he did give you. Ask you dad... he should have a good idea of how [generally speaking] stupid cops are.

haha sorry guys but so far i like freak's suggestion the best! i know that i should just pay it.. and probably will end up doing so. but i guess i was just trying to look for a loop hole. who knows? maybe one day i'll marry a rich albertan oil man and go to register my new phat bmw in that lovely province and get arrested on the spot! hah.. i hate tickets.. and (generally speaking) cops too.

:) thanks for the advice.

I don't know about Alberta, but there is just such a connection between BC and Ontario, and that only happened as of about 4 years ago. Before that, there was no communication between the two jurisdictions.

As soon as that connection happened, though, a friend of mine ended up losing his BC driver's license for about two years, until he paid off an Ontario debt to the Minstry of Transport.

And sometimes there are connections between third-party states as well. So for example maybe Alberta and Ontario don't have that connection, but Manitoba and Alberta do; one day you're visiting Winnipeg and you get pulled over, and find yourself in deep doo-doo because of the unpaid Albertan ticket.

I once had a ticket in West Virginia that I considered not paying until I realized that West Viginia had this kind of relationship with Ohio, New York and Michigan - the three states that I would be most likely to drive in.

and it's gotta be the worst friggin' province for pedestrians too.. they literally have NO REGARD for oncoming traffic. i almost wiped out close to twenty albertans because they choose to walk out in front of moving cars. but then it's the driver's fault! whatever happened to teaching your kid to look both ways before they cross the street?