Jambands.ca

Del is a Deadhead/ Mr. Lif is a Phishead

zero

It never occured to me to lay it out this way but Rollie (Cadence Weapon) and I were talking at one point this weekend about how he just played with Del The Funkee Homosapien, he was playing for De La Soul in a few days, had just played with Phat Lip of the Pharcyde the night before or something in New York. Anyways I told him that I had read a story once (I don't know if it was Annabelle, Heather, Theresa or Keelin) that Del was friends with a girl in Oakland, CA and they went to a Dead show which wasn't really his trip but you know he lived there. I'd expect it was a New Years show or something being Oakland. Anyways they must have been in good seats or something but he checks out all of these freaked out hippies adoring this bearded guy and goes 'hey isn't that your dad' - and it turned out it was! I guess he'd been over to the house and like met Jerry but just sort of like 'hey', 'hey' and Jerry goes back to the History Channel.

Mr. Lif an independent hip hop MC in the Def Jux camp is another guy I follow. Really dope MC, has huge cluster dreads and glasses - total brainiac like Aesop Rock, Murs, Aceyalone, Dose One etc. Anyways I'm surprised no one read this or posted about it but in Exclaim! last month there was a short interview and he said he got his name at a Phish show - Great Woods '94 (I was there biatches - last gamehendge). I guess Mike was laying down a serious groove which he described as 'liftedness' and then reduced it to Mr. Lif. I've got to do an interview with him and ask him how much he remembers about it and whether say he knows enough about Phish to know it was the last Henge.

Okay this is gold, jerry, gold. If one of you doesn't respond soon I am going to lose it. Do you fuggers have such low cultural reference levels that anything beyond the disco biscuits, brothers past and electric apricot perplexes you.

I've never heard of this Del guy before, but that is a pretty hilarious scenario. It should be a scene in the TV show me and Ollie will probably never make.

oh shit, there's fireworks going on outside AND thunder and lightning! Gotta run outside!

Slow yer roll, holmes!

I have heard and read a very similar story about Del the Funky Homospaien, dating or being friends with one of Jerry's daughters. I have also read that Del and Jery met a couple of times briefly, but Del had no clue until he ended up at a Dead show in Oakland. Since Del has become a "deahead" and a fan of the scene.

Also recently dead rapper Proof from D12, released an album called "Searching for Jerry Garcia" and he too was a fan and dedicated the album to the "life force" and "magical drive" Jerry Garcia posessed.

proof.jpg

Heads are everywhere. So yes Zero I beleive it and have heard of it in print. You ain't alone or crazy. Well maybe crazy...toy guns and all...

Okay this is gold, jerry, gold. If one of you doesn't respond soon I am going to lose it. Do you fuggers have such low cultural reference levels that anything beyond the disco biscuits, brothers past and electric apricot perplexes you.

First of all, I don't think anyone here likes the Disco Biscuits, don't get me wrong, I love them; just a bad case and point. But really, your little rant reads more like: "I was hangin' with this ill MC who knows this other rapper guy who was going to open for this other dope DJ and he said Del met Jerry" To that I say: nifty. You failed in expressing that Del was actually a deadhead, not just a famous rapper that met Jerry and exchanged a quick 'Hey.' Thanks Chameleon for actually putting it into context.

Al Gore was a Phish and GD fan. Music scares Bush Jr.

My dog, a border collie, slept with Mountain Girl's St. Bernard and they had a really heady Chiwawa that RJD2 adopted.

Does this mean the Gorillaz are going to do a JGB Tribute album?

Listen to Cadence Weapon is all I have to say on this front.

Saw him at Hillside. Awesome MC witha truly real approach and also pretty funny. Hi sDJ is the shit. Great with the turntables, and his energy and enthusiasm made the performance elevate.

Cheers

Deeps

I was just joking about the ribbing (Electric Apricot is Claypool's spoof jamband) and I'm sure most people don't listen to that holy trinity.

You guys need to ease the fuck up sometimes. I presented the story in context, that it was in conversation with the illest Canadian MC that we got around to talking about Del (you've never heard of Del?) and the Dead etc. I never thought of the Proof connection but that is a great album and a great point. Also Run DMC's Darryl McD was quoted as saying before their last album I believe that they were trying to do that Grateful Dead type shit.

This is a really cool kernel of an article.

KC I'm definitely coming to that show. Are you fugging kidding me I can't believe you've got Kool Keith. WhaAAAAAaaaa! Plus Cadence. Whaaassssaaawwww! I'd like to reach out to your local editor through mine at the Echo and write a piece about the Damo show and that one for whatever it is Pulse or View or whatever. Same publisher non?