Jambands.ca

Is Jello vegetarian?

c-towns

(for the lazy, long story short: we made chicken jello)

What a coincidence. We're making pork and prawn wontons and the method that we're following required us to get some gelatin.

I boiled 3/4 cup of our homemade chicken stock and added 1.5 teaspoons of gelatin powder to it to dissolve. I then let it cool in a small loaf pan and cut out little cubes. Once set, the cubes were placed inside the prawn/pork mince balls before sealing inside the wonton wrapper.

no offense, but i feel like gagging just thinking of 'chicken jello'.

i've never thought of jello the same way since i saw that moldy jello that aunt bethany brings to clark's christmas dinner in 'christmas vacation'. that was sick.

after having the dumplings, I have no idea what the chicken jello's role was. The dumplings were definitely very tasty, so I just wonder if the stock played the role of flavour enhancer.

Hey Chefs! Please toss out a theory.

It's interesting that Jell-O has become the name by which gelatin is referred to, regardless of whether the item is Jell-O or some other brand name. It's kind of like Kleenex, or Windex - where a brand name has become the commonly-used name for the item itself.

I love what Archie Bunker called Jell-O: "Rubber".

Wow Mike making soup dumplings (which is what you did) isn't very easy. They're delicious and highly prized when we go for Dim Sum...I don't know where to get them other than Shanghai in Chinatown.

The idea behind the gelatin in that is to turn the stock into something workable for stuffing in the wonton wrapper. When you steam it it should get warm enough to turn back into soup and burst when you bite into it.

Adding gelatinpowder though I've never heard of...usually just a rich stock refrigerated will have enough gelatin to work with when assembling.

no offense' date=' but i feel like gagging just thinking of 'chicken jello'.

i've never thought of jello the same way since i saw that moldy jello that aunt bethany brings to clark's christmas dinner in 'christmas vacation'. that was sick.[/quote']

after having the dumplings, I have no idea what the chicken jello's role was. The dumplings were definitely very tasty, so I just wonder if the stock played the role of flavour enhancer.

Hey Chefs! Please toss out a theory.

I did 5 posts previous to yours. Its bone marrow nothing more to it. Remember my Garzpacho Jello from the chef battle last year?? I use gelatin alot. Terrines and molds are a lost art in the culinary world.

Wow Mike making soup dumplings (which is what you did) isn't very easy. They're delicious and highly prized when we go for Dim Sum...I don't know where to get them other than Shanghai in Chinatown.

The idea behind the gelatin in that is to turn the stock into something workable for stuffing in the wonton wrapper. When you steam it it should get warm enough to turn back into soup and burst when you bite into it.

Adding gelatinpowder though I've never heard of...usually just a rich stock refrigerated will have enough gelatin to work with when assembling.

I suspected that was the purpose. We mini pork steam buns from Yeng Fung Ding dumpling house and those have a juicy little burst which is probably from some chicken Jello as well.

If you want some yummy dumplings, go to the dumpling house. It's pretty close to the Shanghai.