Jambands.ca

Canada's Big Night - nero Reunion on JamBase..

shainhouse

Great article Shain. Speaking as someone who couldn't be there, I really felt like you conveyed the essence of the weekend.

That said, I have to disagree with your comments about how the end of nero meant the end (or at least long-term stagnation) of "the scene" in Canada in general. This might be true for the scene in Ottawa and maybe even Ontario as a whole, but I think it's a little bit far-reaching to paint all of Canada with the nero brush. I say this having lived a few places in Canada where nero was an appreciated musical afterthought to the more readily-available regional talent.

Again, though, I thought the article was really well done and brought out as much of the emotion and intensity of the weekend as the written word possibly could. Bravo.

Peace,

Hart

I also think it was a great review, but I agree with Hartamophone. I love nero., but the band is not 'Canada's jamband'. They are known out west, but hardly acknowledged, other than as one of many bands in a larger scene and that scene is not regarded as dependent on nero. at all.

I found that the jam-scene out west has been burgeoning over the last few years, rather than waning.

Great read, though, Shain. Well done.

I thought the article was well-written, and had obviously been given a great deal of thought. I wish I could have been at those shows for sure, and I certainly can appreciate the value of the nero family or broader community.

Having said that I have to agree with both H & SM's sentiments.

If it's in Vancouver it doesn't matter. Seriously where does Vancouver measure up in the national music media? It's practically off the map not that that's a good thing.

I think Shain also nailed it- clearly he spent longer than his 45 minutes on it this time. Like 53 minutes at least.

oh man...this place doesn't get enough attention and THIS place doesn't...and THIS place....who cares. either MAKE ME PAY ATTENTION, or stop complaining.

nice article shain. i don't envy you having to write that one. and i say it got AT LEAST 59 minutes AND 2 proof reads.

I'm serious though. I deal with a handful of artists and publicists from Vancouver and there's a palpable frustration. It's that whole nothing matters unless it's in the Big Smoke dilemma.

Just get Dan Bejar to play in 6 more bands and the buzz will take care of itself.