Jambands.ca

Sharon Jones and the Dap-Kings

slavetothegroove

Queen of Soul! Anyone heard of her? My friend lent me one of her discs tonight and I'm absolutely in love with it. She was telling me what a fantastic show they put on live, and I have yet too see them, but will get my chance soon at Langerado.

I guess this girls story is that when she was young she always wanted to sing, and almost made it but MTV or something said she was too short and her voice was just going to be used as a dub-over. She ended up being a prison guard for ten years, then finally got fed up and went to pursue her musical career. Amazing soulful girl I must say.

I've been looking for some recordings but can't find any. If anyone can help me out, I'd love to hear some live stuff.

Thanks all

Ciao

Steph

http://www.daptonerecords.com/pages/stable_sharon.html

http://www.myspace.com/sharonjonesandthedapkings

don't have live stuff, but if I remember I'll bring you copies of the 2 studio albums we have.

Sharon puts on one of the most high-energy shows I've ever seen. Prepare to have smokin' holes in your soles when that soul sister hits the stage at Langerado!!!!

She really plays to her audience and will pull folks on stage with her to dance, sing, jam (won't she Willy?) so try to get as close to the stage as you can!

My vote is for Budos Band ... they lay it down a little more thick, and sick.

Budos band is what the Dapkings are when Sharon leaves the stage and lets them rip. I feel Budos is like the same thing except they take the groove deeper, there's no vocals, they go longer. A few of the same player ta boot.

I love Sharon though. She kissed me and told me I was a man. That lady makes me feel like I have something to learn. I love it!!!

Edited by Guest

I love Sharon though. She kissed me and told me I was a man. That lady makes me feel like I have something to learn. I love it!!!

She kissed me to, I was just coming down the stairs at Pepperjacks, as she was coming off the stage, it totally caught me offgaurd.

definately a great live show though. caught it twice at Pepperjacks...I love that deep sax sound (baritone sax I believe) such a cool sound.

Seen them a few times now... fantastic. Love that old funky sound.

Actually, if you want to see where Sharon got her sound/persona from, check out some Aretha Franklin (albums "Soul 69" and "Live at the Filmore West"). I was actually blown away by Aretha, she is now probably my favourite female musician.