Jambands.ca

What is the worst sound in the world?

mark tonin

Right now, the world's worst sound is the wailing screech that my neighbour makes at all hours of the day and night (mostly night, unfortunately). She literally cries for hours, moaning and wailing at the top of her lungs, oftentimes throwing objects against the walls and/or dragging her furniture around the room. This has been happening several nights per week for the last eight months, most frequently on weeknights between 11 PM and 2 AM (ironically, she once came pounding on my door at 10 PM on a *Saturday* to throw a fit about her inability to sleep because I was listening to the stereo). Occasionally, instead of crying, she sings at top volume. Can anyone say "bi-polar?"

The second-worst sound is the rooster across the street. Yeah, that's right - a fookin' ROOSTER! I live in the Korean equivalent of the Upper West Side in Manhattan, and the fuckers in the house across the street have a rooster. The rooster is apparently a global rooster, because it seems to annouce dawn in every time zone around the globe. All day. Every day. Cock-a-doodle-doooo! It's morning in Seoul! Cock-a-doodle-doo, it morning in Honolulu! Cock-a-doodle-doo, it's morning in Los Angeles! I'm thinking of buying a pellet gun and erasing that mutherfucker. I'm not sure if it will work on my neighbour - I might need something bigger.

Right now, the world's worst sound is the wailing screech that my neighbour makes at all hours of the day and night (mostly night, unfortunately). She literally cries for hours, moaning and wailing at the top of her lungs, oftentimes throwing objects against the walls and/or dragging her furniture around the room....

Ouch!

This is only nominally related, but we had Korean upstairs neighbours when we first moved into our place in Toronto way back when that would start doing this completely otherworldly chanting (for the most part, 6-part atonial wailing) around 2 or 3 in the morning and carry on till just before sunrise. It was so surreal at the beginning, and would find the weirdest ways to get into dreams. After a while, it got really annoying. They eventually moved out; my guess is, the aliens finally rescued them (or, rather us).

After seeing Orbital in 1996(ish?) at Opera House(Killer show, pounding techno, and a head full of acid made for a great night)....anyways, part

way up Spadina(this was the year they did all the work on it) we were walking past a giant construction area and a big wheel loader with a bucket of debris dragged it's bucket across the top of a metal bin giving the most epic fingernails-on-chalkboard ever. It has defined 'worst sound ever' in my books since...nothing has topped it so far.

The easy pick the Dentists drill up close and personal...

Not that it did or would ever happen to me... the sound of your wife coming down the steps (early in the AM) while you are surfing through some of the www.moredubious.sites. I could only imagine how much that would SUCK.

As for myself settling down for a long summers nap and hearing a F@CKING cricket in the house looking for a DATE.

Edited by Guest

Man there's alot of very nasty noises out among the english and I'd agree with a few here but my personal best/worst one is just that. Its those ultrasonic scalers that the dentists use now. I can handle most of the cranies but I seem to have a few harmonic points along my jaw that for some reason sends a deafening howl of vibration right up to my inner ear. It makes me well up with tears that I'm too embarassed to wipe away and I feel like a small child lost at the fair.