Jambands.ca

Plastic bag washers?

snarfmaster C

I save and re-use them, too. Bread bags get used for lunches (sandwiches for me), or for frozen or refrigerated stuff. I also have a bunch of ziplock-type bags that are/were tortilla packages, so now, when I buy a pack of tortillas, I use the bags I already have to split them up into smaller (2 or 3 tortillas) packs for freezing.

I'm not that fanatic about washing them, though.

Aloha,

Brad

...I am tottally a bag washer...even cutting the tops off milk bags but you know what...awhile back now I heard a pretty indepth interview with 'some' scientist dude which I've been meaning to search out cause I barely remember the details.

The jist was about plastics and how they degrade and the wickedly poisonous, cancerous chemicals they release.

Nalgeen bottles=way bad, another reason I've been wanting to find this interview since so many of my friends and family drink from these constantly.

Also something about the only safe plastic to consume food or beverage from repeatedly but not forever is the semi stiff opaque plastic...it has a code I don't recall.

Also about re-using plastics to store food=not good like how its all meant for short, non reusable lives.

Still I reuse plastic but I'm trying not to store food in it.

Anyways I'll link the interview here if I find it...ummmm BradM-master of finding things all internett? :P pssst...it was CBC. ;)

Edited by Guest
bowls make me illiterate

we use all our plastic bags for garbage and pug shit!

Ziplock get reused depending on what was in them.

Sometimes the reusing of temporary storage containers can be unhealthy if not cleaned properly. Water bottles are a prime example. Most people just continue refilling them without washing them. Well, that little puddle of backwash that sits there until you refill is like a petri dish.

Yep, I reuse ziplocks to, as often as I can and depending on what was previously in them.

We have a "cheese bag" (Marco, not a word from you). But I find it gets stinky and turns the flavor of the cheese if you don't switch it to a new one every month or so.

They're handy for so much more than food. I use one for a pencil caes, many in my sewing kit, my paints, etc.

Not to rain on anyones Recycle and Save the World campaign, but as an employee of a big business (and a very very small big business at that) and having access to the production facility, basement etc. It would shock and sadden you to see the amounts of raw materials that are thrown out each day.

We are just a small drop, a drop nonetheless- but when you put in in perspective it feels helpless doesn't it?

Like our emissions control in Ontario is making an impact on global warming?- when you think about the 1,000,000+ 40 year old diesel vehicles all over China and Russia that are spewing out raw carcinogens. Our little Honda Accords are the least of the planets concern.

A little pig headed I know, but even my "green" city buses spew fumes, lay oil all over the pavement and are left idling for hours on end. I used to recycle, car pool and everything but I don't think it did one lick of good (especially if your $11 cheese is ruined by not spending 0.03 on a new bag).

Sean

Edited by Guest

I don't think you're nuts. I do it all the time. I also rinse out my milk bags (the clear ones the milk actually is in), then I slice the top open so they are like a small bag and use them for any number of things. My grandmother used to do this...and I can't throw them away now cause I know she hardly ever bought ziplocs, cause she already had so many milk bags.

Not to rain on anyones Recycle and Save the World campaign, but as an employee of a big business (and a very very small big business at that) and having access to the production facility, basement etc. It would shock and sadden you to see the amounts of raw materials that are thrown out each day.

We are just a small drop, a drop nonetheless- but when you put in in perspective it feels helpless doesn't it?

Like our emissions control in Ontario is making an impact on global warming?- when you think about the 1,000,000+ 40 year old diesel vehicles all over China and Russia that are spewing out raw carcinogens. Our little Honda Accords are the least of the planets concern.

A little pig headed I know, but even my "green" city buses spew fumes, lay oil all over the pavement and are left idling for hours on end. I used to recycle, car pool and everything but I don't think it did one lick of good (especially if your $11 cheese is ruined by not spending 0.03 on a new bag).

Sean

Dude, sadly it's that kind of "oh well, everyone else is polluting, so why bother" kind of attitude that makes me grouchy.

I can't stop anyone else from doing it, but I"m sure as hell going to take responsibility for my own actions. Then at least I know I did what I could.

LJFH sorry to make you sad, but its reality.

One (or even a 1000) people washing a ziploc doesn't put a dent into the 500-1000 M of shrink wrap that goes into the garbage when a GOSS Press starts bundling its papers. This is about the equivalent of an original VW Bug if it were solid and the same shape. There are 1600 of these presses operating DAILY worldwide.

Businesses just won't pay to recycle- it costs too much. And people (no matter how granola) shop for the best price. So therefore the people that won't pay high prices make the businesses react by cutting costs (on things like recycling).

Its economics and until we all live in grass huts, sharing nuts and berries, and are skipping merrily down the path to enlightenment- batten down the hatches Becky its a mean ol world.

I know people get frustrated by thoughts/ people "like" me, but I didn't get this way by choice or even education- reality kicked my darkness till it bled daylight.

I don't think it's crazy to wash plastic bags (although I know people who would think it is)

I always bring my backpack when I shop for food, I noticed the amount of plastic bags I don't bring home anymore, it's amazing. I would have used aprox. 480 plastic grocery bags in one year and that is only if I went shopping once a week for 2 people. The only thing you alone can really control are your actions, and would it be sweet if everyone took personal responsibility.

The only thing you alone can really control are your actions' date=' and would it be sweet if everyone took personal responsibility.

[/quote']

amen!

hallemalujiah!

i hear what NW is saying, and i see the same thing in our shipping department with stretch wrap on skids of parts.

it's bad, but things will change. wait for the increased price of oil to trickle through to the stretch wrap world. you will see lots of businesses paying attention when their packaging costs triple.

LJFH sorry to make you sad, but its reality.

One (or even a 1000) people washing a ziploc doesn't put a dent into the 500-1000 M of shrink wrap that goes into the garbage when a GOSS Press starts bundling its papers. This is about the equivalent of an original VW Bug if it were solid and the same shape. There are 1600 of these presses operating DAILY worldwide.

Businesses just won't pay to recycle- it costs too much. And people (no matter how granola) shop for the best price. So therefore the people that won't pay high prices make the businesses react by cutting costs (on things like recycling).

Its economics and until we all live in grass huts, sharing nuts and berries, and are skipping merrily down the path to enlightenment- batten down the hatches Becky its a mean ol world.

I know people get frustrated by thoughts/ people "like" me, but I didn't get this way by choice or even education- reality kicked my darkness till it bled daylight.

I still call bull5hit...and I'll use this analogy.. If everyone else jumped off a bridge, would you? Just because big corporations suck and can't be bothered to recycle or care about the environment, doesn't give you ANY excuse to do the same. I think that's just a cop out.