Jambands.ca

Creepy Guys at Chameleon Project

kung

:grin:

Avast ye!

Arrrrrgghhh! Any seaworthy sailor, or pirate, knows that what ye speak of is the landlubber way of spelling that thar word. Kind of like spelling "cool" "kewl".

The plank be ready for you if you don't shape-up and listen to those who have been around this world since before this board was discovered.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are going to rock my head in because Tyne Daly is derivative or because I was thinking of you in a sexual,crude and stupid way?

Just so I know.

Sorry, my lexicon got adversely affected by the brilliant postings of the mighty one who has to suffer here attending to the plebian concerns of us ignorant people who type well before they think.

You may think of me in a sexual, crude way and it would be far from stupid

btw - Nobody messes with Tyne ... period!

hhjj.jpg

Edited by Guest

third of all it completely betrays the fact that I actually know what the fuck I'm talking about and make a living at it.

Can you please try to proove that you do actually know what your talking about? Point us to some articles or books or something. You're argument doesn't hold. I know lots of so called "experienced" people who don't know what the fuck they're doing. e.g. I was working with a guy the other day with over 30 years experience in construction, rig a load of steel so poorly it could have easily killed someone had I not stopped it. You sound more like a cry baby than someone who knows what he's doing and I only say this because I know how people act when they are trying to hide their lack of skill. Half of the posts you put on this board are so incoherant it would only take a line of coke and K to figure out what you are trying to say. Not a hallmark of good writing I would say. As far as your music credibility, it was lost to me when you compared Jay-Z to Shakespere. If by boring, you may be right. I'm not a music critic and perhaps my knowledge is lacking but Jay-Z's rapping always seems to be out of time to the whack beats going on independantly to what he's doing. Jay-Z sounds to me like a guy rapping over A.M. radio.

I have a lot of crebibility.

Perhaps hiding behind another screename change will help this along.

I’ve seen Luke whacked out on dope so many times, acting like a fool, and ruining shows for many of the people in attendance. I’d like to see a critic write a piece about how Luke thinks he’s the music authority yet all he does is annoy the fuck out of people at shows.

I promised myself I'd never use this loser board again and frankly I've only read a handful of your loser responses.

The friend of mine is a tough chick and she's been through some heavy shit and this was intolerable. If you want to make light of it go for it but you're the one who looks like a massive fucking tool. We wanted to stick around and see KJ Sawka, that's why we came and paid $20 - instead we left about a half hour after we came because as mentioned the venue was over capacity and the capacity that was there was whacked way past their due date.

Case in point in front of the venue some serious Om wookie rolled up to us and the first thing he wanted to inform us of was that he'd just done a big line of K and Coke. Way to go Guy! I'm really proud of you, way to put yourself in the Hole then try and crawl out of it!

As far as the band well clearly despite the fact that I'm a full time music journalist, I don't drink, I've been writing about improvisational music in Canada since before jambands.ca existed- not to mention I've been a head for longer than almost all this board- clearly some believe I am still not entitled to an opinion.

Irrespective of the lame scene we dealt with in terms of predatory K'd out tweakers- not so much offensive as massively annoying (like most of you for instance)- the music was truly derivative.

I have never enjoyed Chameleon Project. The drummer is marginally good, the bass players concepts are pretty weak and lacking and the guitarist is a fucking joke. A pedal board and some dude playing guitar. I really really tried to just get into it and enjoy but they had no concept of how to build the tension and release of a Break- which is what Jungle, Breaks and Hip Hop are based on. Instead they meander about touching on a variety of faded styles and pander to their audience who is so touched in the head from the copious quantities of animal tranquilizers that they'd meow at the moon.

I'm still confused. Do you like the band or not. Please be more specific when writing future reviews.

P.S. Animal tranquilizers have had their place. Just look at Keith Moon's best work

Parrhesia

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search

In the classic discipline of rhetoric, parrhesia is a figure of speech described as: to speak candidly or to ask forgiveness for so speaking [1].

The term is borrowed from the Greek παÏÏησία (παν = all + Ïησις / Ïημα = utterance / speech) meaning literally "to speak everything" and by extension, "to speak freely", "to speak boldly", "boldness".

[edit] Modern scholarship

Michel Foucault developed the concept of parrhesia as a mode of discourse in which one speaks openly and truthfully about her or his opinions and ideas without the use of rhetoric, manipulation, or generalization. Foucault's use of parrhesia, he tells us, is troubled by our modern day Cartesian model of evidential necessity. For Descartes, truth is the same as the undeniable. Whatever can be doubted must be, and, thus, speech that is not examined or criticized does not necessarily have a valid relation to truth.

There are several conditions upon which the traditional Ancient Greek notion of parrhesia relies. One who uses parrhesia is only recognized as doing so if he (and it is "he" when we consider Greek teachings) holds a credible relationship to the truth, if he serves as critic to either himself or popular opinion or culture, if the revelation of this truth places him in a position of danger and he persists in speaking the truth, nevertheless, as he feels it is his moral, social, and/or political obligation. Further, a user of parrhesia must be in a social position less empowered than those to whom he is revealing. For instance, a pupil speaking the truth to an instructor would be an accurate example of parrhesia, whereas an instructor revealing the truth to his or her pupils would not.

Foucault (1983) sums up the Ancient Greek concept of parrhesia as such:

"More precisely, parrhesia is a verbal activity in which a speaker expresses his personal relationship to truth, and risks his life because he recognizes truth-telling as a duty to improve or help other people (as well as himself). In parrhesia, the speaker uses his freedom and chooses frankness instead of persuasion, truth instead of falsehood or silence, the risk of death instead of life and security, criticism instead of flattery, and moral duty instead of self-interest and moral apathy."

A related use of parrhesia is found in the Greek New Testament, where it means "bold speech," the ability of believers to hold their own in discourse before political and religious authorities (e.g. Acts 4:13: "Now when they saw the boldness [την παÏÏησίαν] of Peter and John and realized that they were uneducated and ordinary men, they were amazed and recognized them as companions of Jesus."). See Heinrich Schlier, "παÏÏησία, παÏÏησιάζομαι," Theological Dictionary of the New Testament, Gerhard Kittel and Gerhard Friedrich, Eds. Ann Arbor: Eerdmans, 1967. Vol. V, pp. 871ff.

[edit] See also

* Truthfullness

* Truthiness

[edit] External links

* "Discourse and Truth: the Problematization of Parrhesia. (Six lectures given by Michel Foucault at the University of California at Berkeley, Oct-Nov. 1983)"

* Aphasia and Parrhesia: Code and Speech in the Neural Topographies of the Net. Christina McPhee [2]

* The Double Criticism of parrhesia. Answering the Question "What is a Progressive (Art) Institution?". Gerald Raunig [3]

Edited by Guest