Jambands.ca

Creepy Guys at Chameleon Project

kung

Hey this is just a notice. Frankly me (Luke Bowden) and my friend who runs an influential toronto music site www.torontoindie.com went out to see Chameleon Project and couldn't stick around for Sawka who I really wanted to see because way too many guys at that show were staring at her in a sexual, rude and stupid way.

Lay off the K, Coke and E you fucking tweaker fucks. I'm an old school junglist and Marcus himself was up in the house that night and frankly I was embarassed for all of you. Tweaker sausage party central. Alot of you were fucked off your fucking asses and not dancing well or at all and just fucking losing it up with the losers big time. If that was a Rave I'd have left that room in a second.

We both agreed before we were forced to leave- let's be clear here she pointed out that guys kept staring at her which I didn't notice at first. Then I started to notice, every single gooned fuck was glaring at her and wouldn't stop. I put my arms around her and I'm a big dude and you tweaked fuckers wouldn't lay up. One guy almost ran into a person he was staring away so long. We figured later you were all so sketched out and tweaky that you were just salivating over the fresh meat at your sausage party. In any case it was really not cool and a couple of you are lucky I didn't fucking rock your heads in.

Jay Cleary, who is a friend, can keep our $20 cover because I likely owe it to him anyways.

On a musical level we both agreed that Chameleon Projects grooves and breaks were derivative and lacklustre and that that band should lay off the chems and the electronics. That's not jungle or drum and bass it's wanky drum and bass grooves, way too much effects on a shit guitar style and basically a really annoying band with little going for it. The fact that the Grateful Dead's legacy is somehow insulted by this group deeply offends me. Remember with electronic effects 'it's the gunner not the gun that takes the shot'.

This isn't a rant. We were really pissed and you will read about this in print. We were both sober and both music critics and the music and especially the crowd sucked massive balls.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

did anyone see the one-man drum and bass guy? I was curious, but not that curious (to bother going)

Did anyone actually directly hit on your friend or was it just way too many dudes staring way too much? Is your friend really really hot or was she wearing revealing clothing? Or was it just because she was one of the only women in the bar? I only ask because it seems strange that there wasn't some apparent or really obvious reason why so many dudes would be staring at her enough to make her feel uncomfortable. Not that I'm the lesat surprised by behavior like that or doubt it was enough to piss any woman off.

Edited by Guest

It was packed in there for sure. Drum and Bass seems to bring out a special crowd. Very colourful. Very experimental. I had no idea KJ Sawka was going to bring out that many people! The only thing that I've really worked on that was ballpark in the Elmo was Bassnectar, who's been here a couple times, and it never got that packed. Kudos to the Drum and Bass community, they certainly know what they like.

The main promoter is really excited to bring KJ back to a much bigger venue next time (it was his first to the city). Certainly wasn't MY kind of 'pop it on the car stereo' kind of music, but KJ Sawka is a monster wizard, in magicians clothes when it comes to playing drums and simutaniously composing the rest of the song using a variety of samplers and Abelton Live... Like I said, not my favourite brand of sounds, but there was no doubt what this guy was doing was kinda cool. Super nice guy too. I couldn't resist asking a native Seattlian around 30 years old about the affect of the grunge movement. Lets just say, he knew!

Chameleon Project was well recieved, as the flood of smokers to the patio attested to AFTER they wrapped up the set. They also had a high water night for merch. Not bad considering they were using their old bass player as we patciently await Snappy's return from India.

I don't like it when it's that packed... but considering it was his 1st time to Toronto, it's really hard to prepare for something like this.

Sorry some of the crowd made your friend a little uncomfortable Luke.

That sucks-although if you didn't like the music it doesnt sound like it was a trial to leave early. However, I don't quite understand why your friend-who obviously has a venue for writing about music, and is the victim here-not you-doesn't use her own forum and own voice to illustrate what happened.Its chivalrous of you to be righteously indignant and all-but it seems her word would be the important one here.Especially if her voice is "influential".

Still totally sucks though.

Luke,

I take some offence to the following statements,

... Chameleon Projects grooves and breaks were derivative and lacklustre and that that band should lay off the chems and the electronics.

...wanky drum and bass grooves, way too much effects on a sh!t guitar style and basically a really annoying band with little going for it.

I think that you are being pretty harsh on this developing band.. have you heard the stuff on www.myspace.com/chameleonproject ? Eris is a great track, one of my new favorites.

I think this was a exciting and daunting opportunity for the Toronto band and I believed they deliverd. It really looked like the jam-band crowd.... dreadies and happy stoner vibes, but it was really a different scene altogether; more of a Drum & Bass and Techno crowd.

It was a great turn out, for an artist who has never been to Toronto and is just breaking new ground. The week of press coverage combined with the message board fever ( witch was unfortunately not on jambands.ca ) over this show and his youtube video was quite surprising, and so the night was probably over-capacity.

The vibe I got as CP played was that this was a wild wild party and I was lucky to be there. I felt the band played confidently and played a mix of music that drew upon many sources; from jamband esque funky & disco and reggae/dub to electro-beats: drum n bass & breaks. There was this great instrumental JAMROCK that was played very fiercely that I enjoyed tremendously.

I have personally played with members of the Chameleon Project and think they are great musicians. Luke, I know you are a critic and are hard to impress; but I think your "critical-ness" has become increasingly one sided, that you fail to give any credit to the strengths of some musical projects.

Also I think your point of view is based on your current specific music fixations. Do readers of jambands know that you are a hiphop junkie, i.e. I have your copy of XX magazine; NAS I believe is on the cover. Have you thought at all that someone from a different point of view and influences might be entertained by the Chamelon Band?

That being said, pretty much everyone else there was having a great ol' time and enjoying the sounds.

So what if the Chameleon Project aren't world class, Luke?

What does the rest of the world matter to your moment?

Can't enjoy your moment because of the tweaked out JamTronica? then go home and drool all over the picture of a shirtless elvis costello while you've got your ascot around your neck.

Personally, I believe a healthy dose of Wilco should fix your 'not quite there' itch. Quit trying to give it to us.

Luke,

I take some offence to the following statements,

... Chameleon Projects grooves and breaks were derivative and lacklustre and that that band should lay off the chems and the electronics.

...wanky drum and bass grooves, way too much effects on a sh!t guitar style and basically a really annoying band with little going for it.

I understand how you might not like what Luke said or how he said it but I fail to see how you have any basis for feeling offended by his statements. He's perfectly entitled to make them whether anyone gets unduly offended or not.

I don't see how he's referring to you personally, so I just don't get it.

I think your "critical-ness" has become increasingly one sided, that you fail to give any credit to the strengths of some musical projects.

Why should anyone necessarily have to give a balanced take on anything? It sometimes serves no other purpose than trying to appear kind and cool to other people. Better to just say what one thinks and be done with it.

Have you thought at all that someone from a different point of view and influences might be entertained by the Chamelon Band?

Have you thought at all that someone from a different point of view and influences might not be entertained by the Chamelon Band?