Aloha,

Brad

Edited by Guest

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey folks.

Good times last night for sure. Nice to see all the familiar, warm faces. A healthy skank representation last night for sure!

This was my first UM show. The first set I was a little underwhelmed. A little too much wanky noodling for my tastes. There were some brilliant moments to be had for sure, followed by some prolonged periods of redundancy. BUt again, that is just a reflection of my own personal preferences. There is no doubt that these guys are ultra talented. Just a little too housey sounding at times.

Having said that, I thought the second set was great. Some great jams, and yet a little more structure. My highlight of the night was probably Resolution. I loved the ethereal sounding Norwegian Wood tease. I'm not familiar with all of the song names, but if I recall correctly the NW jam lead right into another tune that had a reggae sort of feel/vibe to it. That was easy to move to.

I'd go see them again, but I think I'd prefer an outdoor venue (like Gratefulfest for example).

Anyhow, I had a great time. Great seeing everyone. Thanks for driving RayRay! Much appreciated!

Chameleon, I'm with you ... that was a great Police cover.

I ended up missing the first half of the first set (needed to stop by a "green" friend's house and watch the end of the hockey game). What I heard at the end of the first was fantastic.

Ran into a couple of old tour buddies I hadn't seen in at least 7 years and ended up enjoying the second set with them up on the balcony (GREAT SPOT). It was nice and open up there and the sound was better than at the bar downstairs (at the back).

Second set blew me away. I loved it. A perfect mix of their styles and influences. Lighting show added a lot to the mix.

Sorry I didn't get a chance to meet up with many of you. I bumped into Cully a couple of times very briefly, but it was nice to see a familiar face from around these parts. I was able to puff a big fatty with my buds up on the balcony. The response time of the stormtroopers was too slow and we were pleasantly done by the time they arrived :D

Next show ... Slippermen! For people who are fans of UM and Phish you gotta try out some of the earlier eras of Genesis (especially 1977 and earlier) it's killer stuff. For whoever mentioned bass pedals ... WOW old Genesis vibrates your soul with those. Just ask Ollie :)

http://jambands.ca/sanctuary/showpost.php?post/433647/

Did anyone tape this show, or see any tapers there?

There were about five or six of us (including Weirdness and aberg83), all set up right in front of the board. I listened to most of the first set's recording on the train back to Ottawa today, and it sounds pretty good (better than what it sounded like in the bar). I'll try to get my recording uploaded by the weekend; tonight, I'm doing nothing but recovering from three nights of shows (Sunday: Karyn Ellis + Erika Werry + The Done Fors; Monday: Sisters Euclid; Tuesday: UM) and three nights of bad/little sleep in a hotel bed.

Aloha,

Brad

I liked the first set as well-the second left me cold.Just couldn't get into it and spent the latter half talking away( sorry Dave(Pablo S)-bent your ear a bit there!)AND wishing I was at Lucinda Williams instead.I think my musical tastes are now best described as on the cutting edge of adult contemporary!!!

Good crowd-although alot of young kids it seemed.Not puking on themselves being jackass kids (which I find amusing)-just wanna be as close to the stage and not dance so I have a story to tell in gym class tommorrow kids.

Lovely to see/meet all that I did-and thanks to Large Marge and Cully for the hospitality afterwards.

Great time. It was Stonker! That Triplewide was "COACHBAG"

Great seeing some familiar faces for the first time in quite a while. Thanx to Cully and Large Marge for their gracious hospitality and Del for well, just being Del. A special thanx to the menu I read at dinner time that reminded me beer and I will always be bosom buddies and attempts to break our heartfelt relationship will prove futile.

And thanx for transportation and lotsa laughs Allison and New Rider. I thouroughly enjoyed your southern hospitality buddy.