Jambands.ca

Greatest rhythm guitar players all-time....

The Chameleon

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Del McCoury

I'd like to say that according to Johnny Johnson and others from his band, Chuck was not a good rhythm player. His band had to adjust from gig to gig, song to song, since Chuck was erratic with his tunings and rhythms. I've always thought Chuck to be one of the great lead players.

Ed McGee from ekoostik Hookah...Umphrey's guitarists as well (cinninger and baylis)

Who are 3 guitarists that will fade into obscurity?

I'll take Potent Pot for 400$ Alex.

who can take their opinions and shuve'm up their lilly white arse?

I'll take who gives a fuck for 600$ Alex ;)

Alex Trebek: Sean Connery, why don't you pick?

Sean Connery: Well, the game is afoot. I'll take anal bum cover for 7,000.

Alex Trebek: That's An album cover, not anal bum cover.

Sean Connery: I can read, Trebek. That says Anal bum cover. I've spent five years of my life trying to invent an anal bum cover, failing to do so is my greatest regret.

I thought that this thread/topic was supposed to highlight guitarists that never or rarely take leads, but have established their own style and sound all on their own. Someone like John Lee Hooker was a unique rhythm guitarist as was Muddy Waters. Gordie Johnson is a really good modern era blues rhythm guitarist. Frank Black's guitar drives every Pixies song as does Paul Westerberg's in The Replacements. And Jack White used to be a great rhythm-only player, but that talented lunatic is obsessed with lead nowadays, so he's out.

Edited by Guest

I thought this topic was about guitarists who regularly display (enough to be known for displaying) great rhythm (i.e., rhythmic) guitar playing*, whether or not they ever display, or are even known for displaying, lead playing/technique.

I thus stand by my choice of Jimmy Page.

Aloha,

Brad

* To me, this implitly includes it being used as a/the basis for a song.

I thought that this thread/topic was supposed to highlight guitarists that never or rarely take leads, but have established their own style and sound all on their own. Someone like John Lee Hooker was a unique rhythm guitarist as was Muddy Waters. Gordie Johnson is a really good modern era blues rhythm guitarist. Frank Black's guitar drives every Pixies song as does Paul Westerberg's in The Replacements. And Jack White used to be a great rhythm-only player, but that talented lunatic is obsessed with lead nowadays, so he's out.

I agree with Jaimoe, when I thought up the tread that is what I was thinking...

and on that topic this guy gets a nod.....

Jimmy Reed (best 12 bar blues feel ever...)

Jimmy%20Reed.jpg

rules rules rules. I agree with Bradm here. Jimmy Page was the rythmn/lead guitar of Led Zeppelin. In many ways Jimmy Page could make such complicated riffs for the rythmn they'd almost be considered "leads."

Another name I wanted to add earlier but backed off because many would consider him a lead guitarist is Tony Iommi, I think if you can argue Page you can surley argue Iommi. Iommi is a riff machine.

I suppose you can even follow this line of argument to include one of my all time favs and well known to all of us, Dave Lauzon.

Another name I wanted to add earlier but backed off because many would consider him a lead guitarist is Tony Iommi' date=' I think if you can argue Page you can surley argue Iommi. Iommi is a riff machine.[/quote']

Iommi has already been props'd in picture form.

So it was, I didn't recognize.

we are talking about players that rarely take a solo and make their living as servants to the groove...

Agreed on that point. Pete Townsend is one of my all time pics for overall rythym but I'd exclude him for this list being the only guitar player in the band.

Dave Kennedy from Rose Garland is worth an honourable mention

Malcolm Young is in there as well