Jambands.ca

Whiskey

boiler

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not allowing yourself to have wiskey !???

You're such a charmer on the juice!!

You gotta live once ina while..

I suggest a solitary confinement padded room whiskey binge treatment at least once a month for you gator!!

Gotta get the bugs out.

Great idea, there BB... how about I send him over to your place with a bottle tonight then?

Not allowing yourself to have wiskey !???

You're such a charmer on the juice!!

You gotta live once ina while..

I suggest a solitary confinement padded room whiskey binge treatment at least once a month for you gator!!

Gotta get the bugs out.

Great idea' date=' there BB... how about I send him over to your place with a bottle tonight then?[/quote']

recommend a pillow or two taped around your butt... serious...

i was at the liquor store friday to pick up a bottle of wild turkey. they were handing out samples of forty creek whiskey. "the number one seeling canadian whiskey" the chick handing out was calling. i thought i'd try it. i'd read about it awhile ago, the man who owns kittling ridge winery created forty creek whiskey. it was pretty good actually. i'd just tried some canadian classic reserve the night before and it wasn't to my taste. forty creek has a similar taste (in my recollection) to wisers...but i'd be interested in doing a side by side sampling.

at 23.00 for 750 mls, it's worth a try.

Wiser’s Deluxe Review

wisersdeluxe.jpg Wiser’s is the fifth most popular whisky brand in Canada. Wiser Deluxe is also available in most US states and select market around the world. It was originally distilled in 1857 by J.P. Wiser and is aged for 10 years in oak barrels. It is a traditional Canadian blend. It is also the fastest growing Canadian whisky brand, and that has a lot to do with it’s bolder than normal flavour. For the most part, Wiser’s has been a stalwart whisky brand in Canada and ranks #2 in Canadian whisky sales. Someday’s I wonder if the whisky the world gets (aka the “brown vodkaâ€), is a ploy to keep all the good stuff for ourselves. Could that be possible? Maybe that has a lot to do with why Canadian whiskies are looked down on by the elite dram imbibers who hold single malts so high. I always like to appreciate a spirit for what it is, instead of what the perceived value is.

Tasting: Neat

To start the colour is deep golden and closer to a bourbon colour than a Canadian style whisky. The nose is fairly light to start with a little bit of grain and alcohol. After a minute the whisky starts to open up and has that gentle Canadian whisky aroma. After about five minutes this whisky really opens up and has a very unique nose grain, chocolate and charcoal. The longer you let this spirit site, the bigger the nose gets.

On the tongue Wiser’s is probably the most full flavour Canadian whisky in this group. It has a big flavour right out of the gate with some rye and lots of wood flavours and that sweet vanilla toffee character. It has a good bit of bite and is really “chewy.†It is slightly astringent, in a neutral way and has lots of spiciness in the finish.

The long finish leaves your mouth tingling and you can taste the chard oak barrel. I would say that they must be using some heavy char barrel for this whisky. Wiser’s closes to bourbon out there for full bodied flavour, but still retains that Canadian character. It also has a nice warming effect on your throat. If you have a cold or sore throat, this might work nicely to numb the irritation. If the in-laws are over, it also may help to numb the irritation.

With Water

Adding water doesn’t do much to the nose accept to dilute some of the alcohol on the start. When tasting the diluted Wiser’s Deluxe it smooths out the whisky really well. The flavours are still quite apparent and that very forward tastes a present including the oak. The finish isn’t as warm, but it is still spicy. If you find Wiser’s Deluxe to bold, a little bit of water might change your mind.

Comparison:

I decided to put some Jameson’s Irish Whiskey is another glass and when judged against the Wiser’s Deluxe, the Jameson’s whiskey is just too light to compete. After trying the Wiser’s, the strong flavours overwhelm your taste buds and for a little while after, the Jameson’s seems very light. Usually I don’t perceive Jameson’s to a light, boring whiskey, but when comparing head to head, the Wiser’s comes out on top.

Summary

Overall this is a great Canadian whisky. For those that think all Canadian’s are soft, light and boring you might want to pick up a bottle of Wiser’s. It still has that Canadian characteristic, but it also has a bit of an attitude. It’s not bourbon bold, which is sometimes a little to strong of a flavour. I think Wiser’s Deluxe strikes a good balance between flavour and smoothness.

Price: $22.45 / 750ml

End of Story.

Edited by Guest

Early in the morning the sun wouldn't shine

I was walking down the road not feeling too fine

Saw two men with a bottle between 'em

This is the song that they were singing

Lord preserve us and protect us

We been drinking whiskey for breakfast

I stopped by the steps where they were sitting

I couldn't believe how drunk they were getting

They passed that bottle and I took a little sip

Took a little more and I just couldn't quit

One by one the people of the town

Heard our ruckus and they all came town

Pretty soon all the streets were ringing

With the sound of the whole town laughing and singing

(LoS)

Edited by Guest

Wiser’s Deluxe Review

wisersdeluxe.jpg Wiser’s is the fifth most popular whisky brand in Canada. Wiser Deluxe is also available in most US states and select market around the world. It was originally distilled in 1857 by J.P. Wiser and is aged for 10 years in oak barrels. It is a traditional Canadian blend. It is also the fastest growing Canadian whisky brand, and that has a lot to do with it’s bolder than normal flavour. For the most part, Wiser’s has been a stalwart whisky brand in Canada and ranks #2 in Canadian whisky sales. Someday’s I wonder if the whisky the world gets (aka the “brown vodkaâ€), is a ploy to keep all the good stuff for ourselves. Could that be possible? Maybe that has a lot to do with why Canadian whiskies are looked down on by the elite dram imbibers who hold single malts so high. I always like to appreciate a spirit for what it is, instead of what the perceived value is.

Tasting: Neat

To start the colour is deep golden and closer to a bourbon colour than a Canadian style whisky. The nose is fairly light to start with a little bit of grain and alcohol. After a minute the whisky starts to open up and has that gentle Canadian whisky aroma. After about five minutes this whisky really opens up and has a very unique nose grain, chocolate and charcoal. The longer you let this spirit site, the bigger the nose gets.

On the tongue Wiser’s is probably the most full flavour Canadian whisky in this group. It has a big flavour right out of the gate with some rye and lots of wood flavours and that sweet vanilla toffee character. It has a good bit of bite and is really “chewy.†It is slightly astringent, in a neutral way and has lots of spiciness in the finish.

The long finish leaves your mouth tingling and you can taste the chard oak barrel. I would say that they must be using some heavy char barrel for this whisky. Wiser’s closes to bourbon out there for full bodied flavour, but still retains that Canadian character. It also has a nice warming effect on your throat. If you have a cold or sore throat, this might work nicely to numb the irritation. If the in-laws are over, it also may help to numb the irritation.

With Water

Adding water doesn’t do much to the nose accept to dilute some of the alcohol on the start. When tasting the diluted Wiser’s Deluxe it smooths out the whisky really well. The flavours are still quite apparent and that very forward tastes a present including the oak. The finish isn’t as warm, but it is still spicy. If you find Wiser’s Deluxe to bold, a little bit of water might change your mind.

Comparison:

I decided to put some Jameson’s Irish Whiskey is another glass and when judged against the Wiser’s Deluxe, the Jameson’s whiskey is just too light to compete. After trying the Wiser’s, the strong flavours overwhelm your taste buds and for a little while after, the Jameson’s seems very light. Usually I don’t perceive Jameson’s to a light, boring whiskey, but when comparing head to head, the Wiser’s comes out on top.

Summary

Overall this is a great Canadian whisky. For those that think all Canadian’s are soft, light and boring you might want to pick up a bottle of Wiser’s. It still has that Canadian characteristic, but it also has a bit of an attitude. It’s not bourbon bold, which is sometimes a little to strong of a flavour. I think Wiser’s Deluxe strikes a good balance between flavour and smoothness.

Price: $22.45 / 750ml

End of Story.

Great review!! I'll have to keep an eye out for Wisers in a liquor store 'round here.

Mmmmmm..... delicious whiskey!

I wish you could still get my favourite Canadian whisky: Pike Creek. It came out in the mid-1990s, was available for a few years, and then vanished.

Also, does anybody know of an unblended Canadian whisky? Essentially, I want the Canadian equivalent of a straight-malt Scotch whisky.

Aloha,

Brad

from wikipedia:

Since 1991, Glenora, an independent distillery in Glenville, Nova Scotia, on Cape Breton Island, has been producing unblended malt whisky in the Scottish style. Their product, Glen Breton Rare, was as of 2003 the only single malt whisky produced in Canada, and the oldest of the few produced in the Americas.

Actually, I've known about Glenora for a while, but it's modelled after a Scotch whisky, which isn't what I want: I want a Canadian whisky (not just a whisky made in Canada, but one using the ingredients typically found in Canadian whiskies) that's not a blend. (Alberta Premium, being made purely from rye [most other Canadian whiskies have little, if any, rye in them], might come close, but I think it's still a blend.)

Aloha,

Brad