Jambands.ca

ROLL CALL: TONIGHT!! ~ THE NEW DEAL & CHAMELEON PROJECT @ OPERA HOUSE

Jay Funk Dawg

tnddec22backfinalcopy-1.jpg

Nufunk Concerts's Jay Cleary recently sat down with "The New Deal" drummer Darren Shearer to talk about his musical projects and what to expect at their upcoming Toronto show on Saturday, December 22nd with Special Guests The Chameleon Project. Darren is currently enjoying success in a new project called "the JOIN" with New Deal keyboardist Jamie Shields.

darren.jpg

Known as the “Human Drum Machineâ€, Darren Shearer has spent his career pushing the acoustic envelope in pursuit of the perfect drum break, and moving dance floors all over the U.S and Canada. Drummer and founding member of cutting edge trio “The New Dealâ€, his simple, aggressive approach to drums have put him at the top of his genre, being one of the few drummers able to acoustically capture the true spirit of electronic music. Well versed in “Vocal Beatboxâ€, Rock, Funk, hip hop as well as Latin and African percussion, Darren truly embodies the spirit of an international drummer. Darren has played with countless artists such as Spookey Reuben, Mike Turner (ex-OLP), and has shared stages with artists from the likes of Herbie Hancock to Moby.

Q: Tell me about growing up in Toronto and how you got into being a drummer.

I’ve lived in Toronto my whole life. Grew up in Moore Park and Yonge and Eglinton. Love it here. I’ve seen every possible city throughout North America, and simply, Toronto is the best.

I started playing drums as a toddler with my hands on the crib, that progressed to chopsticks and then into wooden spoons. Eventually I got some drumsticks, and from then on, it was all over.

music1.jpg

Q: How did the idea of the New Deal start and what brought the musicians together?

We were all immersed in the late-90’s Acid-Jazz scene here in Toronto, but were quite bored with it. We were all into electronic music and wanted to recreate it’s energy live. We started with down-tempo, and as the crowds grew, our tempo went up and we moved into House music took keep the dance floor rocking.

Q: How has the pursuit of developing your drumming craft changed over the years?

I am a completely different player than I was 5 years ago. I still feel like I’m improving and I still have a lot to learn. That’s the beauty of this instrument- so many directions that you can take with it.

image002.jpg

Q: How has the New Deal evolved over the past 10 years as a group?

We’re in a little better communication on and off-stage as a band now. I think a lot of that is due to the fact that we’re not running around North America playing 125 shows a year anymore, on top of the fact that we have a lot more experience with each other, both musically and personally.

Q: Why has the New Deal been playing so sporadically?

Due to Dan’s (New Deal Bass player Dan Kurtz -ed) project “ Dragonette†and now, my and Jamie’s project “ the JOINâ€. I think we’re pretty comfortable with the amount of shows we do now. But maybe we shouldn’t leave so much time in between our Toronto shows anymore. (1.5 years -ed)

Q: What and who is the Join?

The JOIN is not a collective, but more of a revolving door of musicians that grace the stage with Jamie and I, depending on what part of the world we’re in. It was a bit of a temporary solution to Dan not being able to play at our back in May, but has turned into a much bigger entity than we thought it would. A ton of fun for us, and hopefully, for the audience as well.

Q: Tell me about the recent run with the Disco

Biscuit guys and the upcoming run with the Duo.

The Bisco boys are great. We’ve been buds for a long time and it’s been great playing with them. They are such generous players and people in general. And I’m always amazed to see how many people come out to see us jam.

The DUO are awesome. Totally opposite players to Jamie and I, so therefore, totally great together. We played a show in North Carolina this past summer, and had a blast, which is what led us to this NYE run.

Q: What do you think of the Jam Band Scene? and the US vs. Cdn scenes.

The Canadian Jamband scene does not compare to the US scene, in my opinion. It is HUGE in the US, and only somewhat prevalent here. I’ve never really been in touch with the scene here, but it would be awesome to build it up. Maybe NU FUNK needs to do a Bonnaroo North...

Q: What words of wisdom has influenced you musically?

“Notes are expensive, spend them wiselyâ€- B.B. King

Q: What has been a career highlight so far?

Touring with Herbie Hancock was pretty cool. Also, a few weeks ago, we played in North Hampton, MA, and I’ve never felt so much energy from an audience as I did that night. Pretty amazing. Almost overwhelming.

pict0294.jpg

Q: What are you currently listening to these days?

hmmm. As we speak I’m listening to a Groove Armada remix record. We used to be label mates with those dudes, and they really know how work electronic music and make it sound real. Wizards with reverb.

Q: What should people expect and not expect from the upcoming New Deal Show in Toronto?

To leave with a sore booty.

tnddec22backfinalcopy-1.jpg

www.emerge.ca presents...

SATURDAY, DECEMBER 22nd

THE NEW DEAL

with guests: The Chameleon Project

and DJ Shugz

THE OPERA HOUSE

735 Queen St. E

tickets at www.thenewdeal.com

sponsored by:

www.nufunk.ca

The New Deal

www.thenewdeal.com

biophoto3.jpg

The story continues to evolve with Canada’s the New Deal, as they celebrate the seismic collision of live, improvised jamming with the energy and flow of contemporary dance music. Since the band’s formation in 1999 – a self described “beautiful accident†– North American response has been exceptional. Audiences have embraced what is now called the “New Deal Soundâ€.

At the vanguard of a new progressive style, the New Deal has become a live touring phenomenon. They have appeared at Bonnaroo, Jazz Fest New Orleans, the Coachella Festival, Street Scene in San Diego, Berkfest and the Detroit Electronic Music Festival to name just a few. They have headlined over 400 shows in the past 4 years. The New Deal inspires audiences of all kinds, from packed dance clubs across North America, to spellbound receptions during opening tours with Herbie Hancock or Page McConnel from Phish.

Unique, unforgettable and completely original – the New Deal has captured the attention music audiences throughout North America. Their latest studio release will bring the band’s celebrated sound to an even larger audience.

The New Deal is Jamie Shields, Dan Kurtz, and Darren Shearer.

The Chameleon Project

www.chameleonproject.com

www.myspace.com/chameleonproject

m_35632423a35178fcd1726ddd8121ee1d.jpg

Intelligent Dance Music

Focused, driven, improvised..…and all the way live!

The Chameleon Project delivers sleek and progressive dance music, using all the tools at their disposal. Urgent and infectious beats meet deep pocket angular grooves. Surprising textures and cleaver arrangements unite in an atmosphere where anything can happen for the sake of the groove.

This tightly knit trio pushes musical limits while remaining melodic. With backgrounds in improvisation, jazz, electronic music, dub, and funk they lay down dance music with a brain and improvisation with a purpose.

Extracting the musical innovations from the masters of the past and the vanguards of today, the Chameleon Project distill their disparate influences, the likes of Charlie Parker, Roni Size, LTJ Bukem, Grant Green, Miles Davis, Chic, Funkadelic, The Grateful Dead, Little Feat, & King Tubby, into a cohesive sound that delivers exciting soundscapes and dangerous beats.

This is a band that you have to experience live. No two shows are ever the same. Be prepared for anything, but count on moving your body while thoughtful melodies and pastoral textures entrance your mind.

Chameleon Project is Tyrone Caissie: Drums & Electronics Josh Laing: Guitar, FX, Real-Time Sampling, Snappy Homefry: Bass

nufunk.jpg

Edited by Guest

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic