Jambands.ca

Tomorrow is the big day for me!

NewRider

Jaimoe - google 'MIT OpenCourseWare'. There are thousands of complete MIT courses online, and the urban studies department is very well-represented.

OpenCourseWare is great. There are lots of universities putting thousands of courses online.

I just checked it out. Thanks. I'm thinking that I probably can't do a program, but I may be able to take some online courses or volunteer, like say for Heritage Toronto or something like that. Maybe Stephen Lewis is hiring? :)

Dave if you're looking to get into urban planning I think you might need to learn to use a computer and do shit in AutoCad. Are you up for that? ;)

I just checked it out. Thanks. I'm thinking that I probably can't do a program' date=' but I may be able to take some online courses or volunteer, like say for Heritage Toronto or something like that. Maybe Stephen Lewis is hiring? :) [/quote']

Dave if you're looking to get into urban planning I think you might need to learn to use a computer and do shit in AutoCad. Are you up for that? ;)

Joking aside, I do know how to use a computer, fairly well in fact. I'm just not big on downloading/streaming etc... Philosophically it's not my thing.

I envy you New Rider. I want to go back to school but I can't quit my job. I want to change careers, from TV broadcasting to urban planning with a minor in environmental studies, however I'm at the point where it's looking like I'm too old.

That was my area of study when i first went to university. Took the first 2 years of the highly respected course at Ryerson University ('89-'90). Heavy work and very interesting. However, when a study was released on course graduates (of which there were less then 100 per year) less than 3% could get jobs within the field. It seemed at the time that the field was filled with ex-lawyers and the like. Ever wonder why our city is so fucked up???

Now, I'm stuck in TV broadcasting industry with ya :)

I'm going to get a beer.

My wife is in Environmental Studies/Urban Studies at U of T and I envy her. I think job prospects are far better now than they were back in the early 90's thanks in part to the environmental aspect. I'm a staunch urbanist and I think I'll have to follow the little man talking repeatedly in my head to follow my passions regarding rejuvenation and healthy cities... not to mention trying to make suburbia more livable and less car dependant.

You're never too old to learn new shit. If you don't like what you do at all, you should find something that you do like to do. Why waste your time?

Somehow though, I have a feeling that there could be something that you really like to do right under your nose. There must be some opportunity with your employer that you could use your experience to take advantage of.