Jambands.ca

Two of the best cable shows coming to network TV

Jaimoe

Showtime's Dexter comes to CBS on Sunday, February 17th. It will be severely edited, so no swearing, excessive bloodletting and nudity. I'd recommend renting the first season and go on from there.

Also coming next week to History is HBO's Rome. I don't think History will edit the show too much, although there is a few scenes with full-frontal nudity.

I love both series. Shows like this are a big part of why I think TV has surpassed movies, quality-wise - although the writer's strike should even things out once again.

There was a cool program on History last night about Ancient Rome, from a few decades BCE to a few decades after, including the reigns of Julius Caeser, Cluadius, and Nero. It was really interesting, especially the way they detailed how important the technology used by the Romans (e.g., road construction, concrete, etc.) was for the expansion and maintenance of the empire.

Aloha,

Brad

it's so good. start at season 1 and enjoy.

Frank from Chromewaves has a nice write-up and introduction that says more than I could about it.

Well, this beats the hell out of trying to get excited about another eye-gougingly bad season of 24.

After hearing the "best show on television" praise bandied about for years, my curiosity finally overcame my laziness and I picked up season one of The Wire back at the end of last April. A couple days later, I picked up seasons two and three. Then I downloaded four (which I picked up on DVD over the holidays and devoured again in under a week). And since then I've been one of those people randomly initiating conversations with, "do you watch The Wire? It's the best show on TV".

When asked what it's about, the short answer is that it's a cop show - which is true - but it's so much more than that. Each season has been a thirteen-hour epic, moving at a steady, stately pace to a finale that's anything but final. The first season was the most formulaic, pitting a group of cast-offs from the Baltimore Police Department against the powerful drug dealers that ruled west Baltimore but from there, it grew to encompass what you can only describe as "the system". City Hall, the school system, the penal system, the judicial system and the unions, in addition to the police, the dealers and the citizenry. And what I find the most compelling, besides the terrific writing and acting of pretty much everyone involved, is how everything is rendered in greys, no blacks or whites (except racially - then it's almost all black and white). Whichever side of the law they're on, everyone is as flawed as they are honourable (in their own way). There's no supercops or evil geniuses - just people. That's the real strength of the show, it's humanity. You care about the characters and are never emotionally manipulated into doing so. Their world just sucks you in.

It's long been known that season five would be the final one, assuming that the series made it that far - for all the critical acclaim it's gotten, it's never been a ratings hit nor even an award-winner. Season four, which focused on the schools, wrapped up looking like they were going to hit the ground running with five - a major break in the case against the ruthless young turk running the West Baltimore corners, the reconstitution of the major crimes unit, a new mayor in office promising a new day had come. And yet, as the final season begins set a year after the last (and kicking off with what is possibly the funniest police interrogation scene ever shot), we find that new day is as grey and overcast as the last. No headway has been made against the dealer, the city is broke and police morale is at rock bottom. Welcome back to Baltimore. I'll be so very sad when it's over but for now, the next nine weeks will be awesome.

Click here for original post with links, mp3s, etc...

Yeah the last few months have been a blessing as far as being able to catch up on quality television..

We finally got around to watching Rescue Me and Carnivale. Have been revisiting Six Feet Under and The Sopranos, and now we are trying to decide on whether our next series will be Rome or The Wire...

Classic Video (Kingston) is such an amazing little place... They have the whole downstairs basically dedicated to Television... Awesome!

Yeah the last few months have been a blessing as far as being able to catch up on quality television..

We finally got around to watching Rescue Me and Carnivale. Have been revisiting Six Feet Under and The Sopranos, and now we are trying to decide on whether our next series will be Rome or The Wire...

Classic Video (Kingston) is such an amazing little place... They have the whole downstairs basically dedicated to Television... Awesome!

I agree, I LOVE that place!!!

I love the suggestions for some lesser "known" series here. I totally agree with Jamoie that these HBO-style series are kicking some serious ass when it comes to quality writing, acting, visuals. Shame to see them edited for network viewers in the slightest. Do yourself a favour and rent the DVDs and have a marathon.

Rome - amazing season 1 and season 2 even more!

Deadwood - never would have expected it, but loving the fuck out of those cocksuckers in the first season right now

Dexter - on the to-watch list :)

The Wire - one more for the list

Pirates look here!

If you can play DivX/AVI files on your DVD player and want Rome or Deadwood, let me know and I'd be happy to hook you up :P

Edited by Guest

Hey Kev, dont forget about Battlestar Galactica. My wife loves it and for the most part she doesnt like Sci-Fi. Get on it buddy. I guarantee it is up your alley if you like Deadwood and Rome. The political angles make it strong.

Rescue Me is still my favorite show....I think. Its definitely Lynn's favorite.

I will hold my take on season one of Dexter until I finish it.

Hey Kev, dont forget about Battlestar Galactica. My wife loves it and for the most part she doesnt like Sci-Fi. Get on it buddy. I guarantee it is up your alley if you like Deadwood and Rome. The political angles make it strong.

Rescue Me is still my favorite show....I think. Its definitely Lynn's favorite.

I will hold my take on season one of Dexter until I finish it.

I think both seasons of Dexter were really good, but I agree with Mike that the second season is the superior of the two.

And I'm not a big sci-fi type either, but I also thought that Battlestar Galactica was really, really good. I haven't seen anything of the newest season yet - I think I'll just wait for it to finish and then watch it all at once.

Rome was awesome.

I've watched the first season of Rescue Me, and I have to say I really liked it. I'll have to get around to the next few seasons soon. Jaimoe has been hyping Deadwood, so I think that's going to have to go on my list, too.

Battlestar Galactica is interesting to me too. I always think of the series from when i was a kid (which i loved!) Those cylon dudes were too cool:

cylonside.jpg

I know to expect much much more out of the newer version. I'm adding it to my 'list' as well .

I did catch one episode of Rescue me last year and really liked what I saw there too. I have to see these things from the start.

All this, and there's a gazillion quality movies I haven't seen in recent years too!

Now, I've got my drink ready and it's time to sit down with the good folk of Deadwood and hear what they're all up to :D

I can't say I'm guilty of hyping Deadwood since it's a fucking incredible show and one of the best westerns ever filmed. Fact. Carnivale from HBO was a fantastic show, and creeeeeepy.

The last season of Battlestar Galactica was a hit-or-miss affair. Some fans were pissed at the season, however Ron Moore (series creator) said that the new season will be more in lines with the excellent Razor one-off movie that came out just before Christmas. Razor is really, really good - as good as any of the best Galactica episodes.

I too love Rescue Me. Garrity is the funniest fucker on TV.

You know, it's not all about HBO, FX and Showtime. NBC, CBS, Fox and ABC have some excellent shows too - some old, some new (check out Pushing Daisies, the recently cancelled Journeyman with Kevin "Vorenus" McKidd, just to name a few).

Also, the new Doctor Who is great... all the seasons actually. So was, for the most part, The Tudors from Showtime/BBC.

check out Pushing Daisies

I second this. It's an interesting show to watch because it's one of the few shows (and just about the only live-action show, as opposed to animation) that actually has interesting visual images. In most shows, the pictures are there to reinforce the plot, but they aren't that interesting to look at. "Pushing Daisies" actually has a perceivable sense of graphic design to it.

Aloha,

Brad