Jambands.ca

Skank Event: Rename General Category

bouche

It's time for spring cleaning in January. In the spirit of purging and consolidation and the old adage "out with the old, and in with the new" and the fact that some good suggestions have been brought up, I'd like to kill some forums and merge the data back into a more general forum like the Cavern, and also reorganize categories and forums.

I'd like to ask for some input, but I don't want a free for all suggestion box because that won't help. I'd like to ask a specific question and get some feedback. Maybe I can even setup a poll with the most best suggestions and have a final vote.

So to start things off. Does anyone have any suggestions to rename the category? I've temporarily renamed the category "Skank Community Access Channel".

The idea is that every forum under that category is community driven. Everyone that is a validated member has access to post, edit own posts, etc. I will group all forums that have this access under this category. So I renamed it something that describes it as such. There could be a better name for the category even though I spent about 10 seconds coming up with about 5 varieties. This one sounded best to me.

Please be serious. Pleeeease! But for duality sake, please don't hold back.

Use BOLD for the actual suggestion so if you have commentary, it'll stand out.

Edited by Guest

Hey Mike, I know you have the name tied up in advertising banners and various bands' managment etc..., but will there ever be a time when you change the name of this site? I'm not the only one that thinks the name Jambands.ca stereotypes the website, fairly or unfairly. I realize there's a brand tie-in particularly with the U.S. counterpart, but this site as it exists right now, is a far cry from the Phish/Dead-centric site of the past. Jam band as a genre has been dying a slow death since Jerry's death.

In stead of Sanctuary you could call it Skank-tuary

http://www.skanctuary.com/

close.

How about something simple: Skank Sub-forums?

Something skank would be great, but I want to avoid using terms like sub-forums and I'm most interested in metaphors, analogies, or inspired (from songs or bands or whatever) titles.

The Cavern came from Phish for example.

I'm thinking that the Come Together Festivals forum could be moved and included in the forum with the rest of the festivals.

Hey Mike, I know you have the name tied up in advertising banners and various bands' managment etc..., but will there ever be a time when you change the name of this site? I'm not the only one that thinks the name Jambands.ca stereotypes the website, fairly or unfairly. I realize there's a brand tie-in particularly with the U.S. counterpart, but this site as it exists right now, is a far cry from the Phish/Dead-centric site of the past. Jam band as a genre has been dying a slow death since Jerry's death.

I'm not in agreement that the jamband genre has been "dying a slow death since Jerry's death" but I do think that Jaimoe raises a number of valid points with his post. Having said that, I'm at a loss for input or advice about the name of the site. I guess I'm just hesitant to change the name of a web site (or any product/service for that matter) that has been around for a long time and that many people recognize.

Good luck with the renaming and reorganization Mike!

Peace, Mark

I like the idea of community for the old "general" page where it leads you to all the sub forums.

Maybe just call it the Community Center. I think the Cavern should be called the Sanctuary. We all call it that anyway. We call ourselves Skanks and it doesn't really refer to anything other than the old, old site, Phishsanctuary.ca

Perhaps naming the forums after songs isn't such a great idea since they exclude people who aren't fans of the artist, or the genre of music it's from.

If it's a community, it should feel equally as welcome to jamband fans as indie fans, as curious visitors.